Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 2009 Navigation System STINKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 PM
cjp240
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edge
Yet another "beaten horse" thread on the MINI Nav system. I'm likely to end up closing this one too, judging by the incessant ranting that some of you continue to espouse.

cjp240, you just started another thread of your own on the same topic, when your other one was still going. I have no idea why you did that, but I'm merging the two together, effective immediately.

Birdman - I'm especially disappointed that you chose to spill over your rants here as well. You have your own thread for that, and I asked you a long time ago to keep it in that thread. Your incessantly repetitive arguments are not helping anything, and your accusations that people "must work for BMW/MINI" because they calmly point out contrasting viewpoints are getting nothing short of exhausting.

Again, I ask you to keep it to your thread. 623 posts and counting - that's more than enough repetition.
CJP240
I started another thread because Zanary started meandering down a different path about tire pressure

Old 05-08-2009, 04:15 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was asked to provide some comparison pics with the nav in my new Audi Q5 - this is a brand new "third generation" system, and might give a taste of what MINI could do in the future.
Basically, the Audi doesn't make any attempt to show every street name, it just picks a few (seemingly randomly picked) and shows them:

Same location, zoomed in:

Of course, it looks much better in 3D mode - a nice touch is that street names "in the distance" are shown in a smaller text size

I find this a very good system - but some might be unhappy that there's no way to control which street names are displayed (I've not found an option to turn them off/on either)

Old 05-08-2009, 04:42 PM
MrTIer
3rd Gear
Poor Software Engineers

While the navigation system does has some flaws, I find that they are workable and no different than some flaws in other OEM navigation systems. In fact in some areas it is superior. If I wanted a top of the line navigation system I would purchase a TomTom or Garmin. But then I would have to worry about taking it down or putting it up as well as the possibility of it being stolen or lost. No such issue with the OEM version.

Basically, for the amount of money I paid for the OEM navigation system, I found that while the navigation system may be lacking in some functionality the overall integration into the car weighed heavily into my decision to get it.
I think that says it all. If you really want a great, well designed navigation system, then get a $200 Garmin (or Tom Tom). If you want your Mini to look awesome inside, then pay the $2000 and get the Mini Nav. Yes, you will also get a few extras thrown in, but an additional $1800 for tire pressure is a bit much. Yes, it is built in and looks great, so that is probably worth, maybe $1000 - who knows? BUT, it is a NAVIGATION system and cost $2000, so, it is not unreasonable to EXPECT it to be top notch. If its not, then we SHOULD complain and let the poor software engineers know that their proprietary design sucks! It's really quite arrogant, actually.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:53 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Personally, my TomTom is rubbish compared with the Audi Q5 factory nav - I bought a ($500 at the time) top-of-the-line TomTom 920; it's text-to-speech is a foreign tongue half the time, it doesn't understand many junctions I drive (telling me to turn when I don't need to, or keeping quiet when I need to turn). It's display is much smaller, too; and it loses track of where I am in tunnels or in crowded cities like New York.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 PM
JoelBrown
1st Gear
Well said MrTIer.

Originally Posted by MrTIer
I think that says it all. If you really want a great, well designed navigation system, then get a $200 Garmin (or Tom Tom). If you want your Mini to look awesome inside, then pay the $2000 and get the Mini Nav. Yes, you will also get a few extras thrown in, but an additional $1800 for tire pressure is a bit much. Yes, it is built in and looks great, so that is probably worth, maybe $1000 - who knows? BUT, it is a NAVIGATION system and cost $2000, so, it is not unreasonable to EXPECT it to be top notch. If its not, then we SHOULD complain and let the poor software engineers know that their proprietary design sucks! It's really quite arrogant, actually.
I don't see why people can't express their dissappointment (or their praise) regarding a particular feature of their MINI. If some people think the MINI nav is great or even worth the money then good for them. I have the nav in my 08 MCS and it is excellent for everything except navigation. The guidance is OK, but I've seen better from standalone units costing 15%-20% as much. I don't use the POI so I don't share Birdman's specific frustrations, but I share his feeling of being betrayed by BMW/MINI. I also share the OP's view that the map is pointless in non-guidance mode. Maybe Robin Casady never uses the nav except with guidance on, and that's OK for him. However, I often use the nav without the guidance. I know roughly where I'm going and I just need to be sure exactly when to turn etc. But the map is unreadable because the contrast is bad, the street names you are shown are almost never the ones you would be interested in, and the map is cluttered with junk like pointless street names, place names and geographical feature names, not to mention the you are here "bug" all of which obscure the most important information, which is where are the *$%# roads?

I love many things about my MINI and I'll be very tempted to get another one when my lease comes up, but it's frustrating to have to pay so much money for something which is so clearly inadequate at its primary function. If they really wanted to convince us that we're paying $2K for the integration, then maybe they ought to call it a car computer or something. Calling it a navigation system just makes you feel like a patsy for paying for it.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:20 PM
splicer13
1st Gear
I think that says it all. If you really want a great, well designed navigation system, then get a $200 Garmin (or Tom Tom). If you want your Mini to look awesome inside, then pay the $2000 and get the Mini Nav.
Yep, the mini nav is garbage. I knew that when I ordered it and only got it because the stock speedo was so disgustingly tacky that I was either going to get the nav or another car.

On one hand the mini nav is embarassingly bad. On the other, I have zero sympathy for anyone who feels they were ripped off. Everyone had the chance to play with it or research before they bought the car. It is obvious to anyone who spent 5 minutes looking that the mini system is not on par with other nav systems.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:04 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
an additional $1800 for tire pressure is a bit much
To be fair, the Nav option also gives you a far better interface for iPod, USB, Bluetooth, Park Distance and other things. There are even optional computer settings that can only be set with the Nav (not even the dealer can set on a non-Nav). Increasingly across the car industry, the decision whether to get Nav will involve more than just navigation.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by cjp240
I started another thread because Zanary started meandering down a different path about tire pressure
That is going to happen - it happens in many Internet forums... you just have to politely ask to come back on topic... and if it becomes a chronic problem, report the thread, and perhaps we will move those sidetrack posts out into a separate thread instead. There's no need to start a second, identical thread though - if everyone here did that whenever a thread went off-topic, this place would be a total mess!
Originally Posted by JoelBrown
I don't see why people can't express their dissappointment (or their praise) regarding a particular feature of their MINI.
Of course they can. I wasn't saying that people can't express their opinion (positive or negative). The point was that ranting on endlessly, repeating the same thing over and over (as Birdman has done for over a year and a half now), and pulling out "conspiracy theory" accusations against anyone who disagrees... is counterproductive and quite honestly starts to border on harrassment.

All points of view are welcome. Civility is key, though.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:53 PM
cjp240
Neutral
OK , I'm new to all this !!!! Sorry

Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
OK , I'm new to all this !!!! Sorry

Welcome to NAM!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM
NSX JR
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
Ok, so I jsut got off an airplace, flew home from San Fran. I rented a car at Oakland airport, and drove abotu 40 miles north to Concord, Ca. And spent the week in the area, driving around 100% completely un-known roads, streets, freeways... Just to get this straight, I should have known all of the probably 100's if not thousands of streets I was on?
Yes, if you make yourself aware of your surroundings while driving, you would have known the name of the street you were on at all times. Apparently you need a computer to tell you something you can read on a sign.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:20 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Anyone who is familiar with the older BMW nav systems they had perspective view also that could be enabled holding down the menu key for 8 seconds. They didn't display road names either. I don't see a problem in it other than the color not being able to be changed. BMW systems have never really been that intuitive.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:10 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NSX JR
Yes, if you make yourself aware of your surroundings while driving, you would have known the name of the street you were on at all times. Apparently you need a computer to tell you something you can read on a sign.
I only wish the roads had signs. Even if they do, they are usually behind a tree so you can't see them until you are past the point of no return. People trying to figure out where they are without nav systems is a good way to cause accidents.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 AM
TomLINY
2nd Gear
I see a bad trend in all gps units, aftermarket and OEM. They are offering less and less options and configuarability. I guess they got a lot of complaints that units were too complicated.

Instead of dumbing down these units, they need to make them with a simple default mode, and one option choice called "advanced features" where they can hide the numerous choices that many of us would like to see.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
What is the deal with you guys continueing to state: "You should have checked the option before purchasing it...".

See, THAT, is the EXACT problem with the Mini Nav. I DID check the option. I DID read the advertising, I DID read the brochures on it. I DID read the manual (downloaded it before buying the car) prior..... And they all CLEARLY state, "Our little Mini car, has a Navigation system with over 6 Million POI's in it, all searchable....". Well great I said, perfect, I'm buying it then!! I get my car, and guess what? I can' search the POI database in anyway reasonable for mankind.

And lastly, the purpose of the ranting and raving is NOT to get my car fixed, that is a long gone issue. I'm onto 3 new cars, none of which are Mini's mainly because of this issue, becuase other than this, I love my Mini! The ranting and raving is a FOREWARNING, for nmew prospective buyers.

I only wish somebody had ranted and raved, PRIOR to me buying one. Cause I would not have.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:02 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Yet another "beaten horse" thread on the MINI Nav system. I'm likely to end up closing this one too, judging by the incessant ranting that some of you continue to espouse.

cjp240, you just started another thread of your own on the same topic, when your other one was still going. I have no idea why you did that, but I'm merging the two together, effective immediately.

Birdman - I'm especially disappointed that you chose to spill over your rants here as well. You have your own thread for that, and I asked you a long time ago to keep it in that thread. Your incessantly repetitive arguments are not helping anything, and your accusations that people "must work for BMW/MINI" because they calmly point out contrasting viewpoints are getting nothing short of exhausting.

Again, I ask you to keep it to your thread. 623 posts and counting - that's more than enough repetition.
Hey Birdman-

Remember the above post? And in case you hadn't noticed, NO ONE had said anything on this thread since mid-July until you brought it up again today.

And no, I don't work for MINI or BMW.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 PM
cjp240
Neutral
"You should have checked the option before purchasing it...".

Birdman you're absolutely right , I NEVER would have bought this if I read your post first.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Birdman you're absolutely right , I NEVER would have bought this if I read your post first.
So if you knew, going in, that the street you were currently driving on wasn't going to be prominently displayed on your screen, that would've been enough for you to say "no way!"?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:40 PM
rhafe
2nd Gear
I just bought a used 2008 Mini S, my first.........

and it has navigation. Now I feel I made a mistake and will regret having to look at it. I wasn't looking for one with navigation, the car I liked, just happened to have it. Is it really that bad?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rhafe
and it has navigation. Now I feel I made a mistake and will regret having to look at it. I wasn't looking for one with navigation, the car I liked, just happened to have it. Is it really that bad?
No.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 PM
JoelBrown
1st Gear
rhafe,

It's not that it isn't nice to look at. If anything I think it is nicer to look at than the giant speedo. It's that for something that costs as much as it does, a lot of people wish it was as nice to use as, for example, a portable Garmin that costs a tiny fraction as much. If your car also has bluetooth and USB then the Nav might be worth having just to work with MP3s and your phone. Either way, getting your car used you don't feel the same sting since you didn't explicitly pay for an expensive option. Enjoy your new MCS.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelBrown
It's not that it isn't nice to look at. If anything I think it is nicer to look at than the giant speedo.
One of the reasons I went for it. Really didn't like the look of the giant speedo. To me it seemed like a choice between early Star Trek (NAV), and a Mickey Mouse cartoon (speedo). I prefer Star Trek. There are Mickey Mouse fans...

It's that for something that costs as much as it does, a lot of people wish it was as nice to use as, for example, a portable Garmin that costs a tiny fraction as much.
Having used both, I think using the NAV is much nicer.

If your car also has bluetooth and USB then the Nav might be worth having just to work with MP3s and your phone. Either way, getting your car used you don't feel the same sting since you didn't explicitly pay for an expensive option. Enjoy your new MCS.
Making car settings is also better on the NAV, and it has a nice trip computer with mpg, time, distance, etc. Leave the display up while traveling and watch your progress.

Is it the best it can be, no, but neither is the Garmin I've borrowed.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 PM
breeox
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I much prefer the MINI's NAV to the Garmin a friend has.
Do you have the mini nav? It's total garbage...i had a dodge nitro, which was the crappiest car i've ever owned, but the my gig unit (nav) was the best i've ever had.

I didn't even bother testing out the mini nav before buying it (yeah, i know, i only have myself to blame), but just figured since the rest of the car was so solid that the nav would be, as well, and it S-U-X sucks.

On a scale of 1-10 i give it a 1.25, and that's only because it gets rid of the hideous spedo in the minis without it.