Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Boss Audio BASS600 8-inch low profile amplified subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boss Audio BASS600 8-inch low profile amplified subwoofer

At the recommendation of k6rtm, I bought a Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer. Just got it wired in via the X9331 connector, and it was definitely worthwhile. It fills out the missing bass in the HIFI system, and at $130 it cost less than the replacement 6x9 speakers I bought.

Note on wiring: On the HIFI system, the X9331 connection should go to the low level input on the Bass600. On the standard audio, they should go to the high level inputs.

Now to experiment with mounting locations to see what is most practical.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Diploman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under Boot Floor?

Robin,

Just this morning I was looking at my car with an eye to mounting a Boss Audio Bass600. I measured the toolkit cavity under the boot floor. Without having physically seen a Bass600, from the dimensions listed it seems that the unit might just fit into this cavity. Why don't you have a look? I will be interested to follow the mounting solution you deem best, as I too plan to install one of these compact units. Cheers.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post some pictures once you find a place for it. Which wires did you tap into on the X9331 connector?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 AM
austex
2nd Gear
The Soundstorm USS8 seems to be identical to the Bass600, except that the housing is all black. If mounted "exposed", the aesthetics may appeal to some.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19671

Old 12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
mdot
2nd Gear
Any room under the front seats? (can't go measure, havcen't picked up my car from teh dealer yet LOL)

What about teh Basslink?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108BASS...earch=basslink

Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Right now it is behind the driver's seat, against the carpet on the cabinet I built. Not really picture worthy. Nor would work for anyone else. So far, that seems like a good place. With the bass turned up, some songs provide quite a good massage.

Not enough space under the seats.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Post some pictures once you find a place for it. Which wires did you tap into on the X9331 connector?
I connected the front right and left channels to the two low level input RCA jacks on the Bass600 since the X9331 is before the amp on the HIFI system.

The X9331 is after the amp on the standard system, so they would go to the high level inputs.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I connected the front right and left channels to the two low level input RCA jacks on the Bass600 since the X9331 is before the amp on the HIFI system.

The X9331 is after the amp on the standard system, so they would go to the high level inputs.
Thanks for the clarification. So on the HIFI the head unit is putting out low level signals for the amp and on the standard system it is putting out hi level for the speakers? Isn't it possible the hifi amp is getting hi level signals from the head unit? Just seems odd they would have the head unit sending different signals for each of the systems. But I guess not since your setup is working.

Did you splice into the wiring or solder at the back of those pins?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Thanks for the clarification. So on the HIFI the head unit is putting out low level signals for the amp and on the standard system it is putting out hi level for the speakers? Isn't it possible the hifi amp is getting hi level signals from the head unit? Just seems odd they would have the head unit sending different signals for each of the systems. But I guess not since your setup is working.

Did you splice into the wiring or solder at the back of those pins?
For some reason, I got it in my head that the X9331 had high level signals. So, I hooked it up that way. No sound from the Bass600. After testing the sub on a home system, I realized that with the amp in the rear of the car, the X9331 probably had low level signals, so changed the wiring at the sub. Low level input takes RCA jacks. High level takes a 6 pin connector that is available at most good electronic stores. The Bass600 comes with one that has 6" wires attached.

I pushed the appropriate connectors out of the female side X9331 and soldered leads to them. I tried using a torx bit for the pushing, but decided to turn a brass rod to the right size with an old Unimat lathe. That's was better.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Ah, I see. Thanks for the details.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Diploman
Robin,

Just this morning I was looking at my car with an eye to mounting a Boss Audio Bass600. I measured the toolkit cavity under the boot floor. Without having physically seen a Bass600, from the dimensions listed it seems that the unit might just fit into this cavity. Why don't you have a look? I will be interested to follow the mounting solution you deem best, as I too plan to install one of these compact units. Cheers.
Doesn't look like it will fit. I have the area Dynamatted, so not sure exactly, but the rounded corners of the jack space seem to be a problem. Also, not much roof for the connections if you are using the low level RCA jacks.

For me, not an option, even if it fit. I have a jack that I want to carry, and I have the Nylon MINI boot box for carrying grocery bags.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 AM
greystone
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mdot
Any room under the front seats? (can't go measure, havcen't picked up my car from teh dealer yet LOL)

What about teh Basslink?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108BASS...earch=basslink

Basslinks are much bigger than the Boss option. I forgot I had one in the basement and just tried fitting it into the MCS: certainly no chance behind the seats and pretty awkward in the trunk. It might work though with some custom mounting brackets, I'm going to look into it as it could be a good solution for me until something better comes along.

FYI, there are two Basslinks, I have the old round one (as in your link). These were always much cheaper on Ebay, I think I paid $140 or so for mine years ago.

Last edited by greystone; 12-07-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: speeling
Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Robin, since you installed this before the Amp, does that mean it keeps the low signals from reaching the factory speakers, effectively cleaning up the sound while adding true bass?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:28 PM
greystone
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't see how it would do that, unless the signal for the other speakers was being routed through the sub amp and that's not the case here. With this setup the sub amp is getting full range signal from whatever source is tapped,, then the sub amp high pass filters off the frequencies it doesn't want.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greg Davis
Robin, since you installed this before the Amp, does that mean it keeps the low signals from reaching the factory speakers, effectively cleaning up the sound while adding true bass?
No. However, MINI has made sure that low frequencies don't go to the rear 6x9 speakers. IIRC, it cuts off somewhere around 150 Hz. In the HIFI, this takes place at the rear amp. In the standard audio it takes place in the head unit.

The front 6" (actually 5.something" in the stock speakers) are the only speakers that get much signal below 150 Hz.

Originally Posted by greystone
With this setup the sub amp is getting full range signal from whatever source is tapped,, then the sub amp high pass filters off the frequencies it doesn't want.
The Bass600 has a low pass filter that can be adjusted from 50 Hz to 150 Hz. I have it set to 150 Hz so goes up to about where the 6x9 Hz start. There is also a subsonic filter that can be set between 20 - 50 Hz to filter out noise and rumble.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
So how could I keep the front woofers from getting the low signals to clean up their sound?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greg Davis
So how could I keep the front woofers from getting the low signals to clean up their sound?
If you just don't want the front speakers getting bass, you could do the X9331 swap.

If you don't want any speakers (other than the sub) getting bass, I guess you could put something like this Bass Blocker. I don't have any experience with using these. Someone else may be able to offer more knowledgeable advice.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:42 PM
allmonb
1st Gear
I installed a Boss Bass600 in the tire well of my clubman about 3 weeks ago. I have pics in my gallery for anyone interested. I tapped into the x9331 connector as well, but I connected into the HIGH level input to the sub. This was how k6rtm on another forum had done it. It worked fine for me through the high level inputs. I believe that the head unit is putting out speaker level output in both HIFI and non-HIFI setups. To decrease the amount of bass to the fronts, I have just lowered the bass level through the head unit. (I also swapped the front speakers for JL Audio speakers, and they handle the bass MUCH better.)
Overall sounds very balanced with the sub doing most of the low end work and allowing the smaller speakers to do what they are made to do.

Brent

Old 12-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by allmonb
I tapped into the x9331 connector as well, but I connected into the HIGH level input to the sub. This was how k6rtm on another forum had done it.
k6rtm has a standard system.

It worked fine for me through the high level inputs.
No sound for me, through the high level inputs on the Bass600. I have the HIFI option. Are you sure you have the HIFI? I don't see any photos of A pillar tweeters in your gallery.

I believe that the head unit is putting out speaker level output in both HIFI and non-HIFI setups.
You sure? The HIFI amp is in the back, after the X9331 connector.

To decrease the amount of bass to the fronts, I have just lowered the bass level through the head unit. (I also swapped the front speakers for JL Audio speakers, and they handle the bass MUCH better.)
Did you use the speaker baffle (shown in your gallery) on the 6" front speaker? My understanding, from an Infinity tech, is that they will kill the bass. The speaker needs more air behind it for decent bass. Another member of NAM posted that he had installed new speakers and lost all bass. Then he removed the speaker baffles he had installed and the bass returned.

Overall sounds very balanced with the sub doing most of the low end work and allowing the smaller speakers to do what they are made to do.

Brent
+1. I'm happy with how well the Bass600 blends with the other speakers. Definitely a worthwhile mod.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:20 PM
k6rtm
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Won't fit under the seats...

For those of you hoping to fit the bass600 under the seats, it won't work.

Tried it.

You can experiment by making a cardboard mock-up according to the published dimensions (add half an inch to the length for the wires) and try fitting it in various spots.

But it sounds great!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 AM
allmonb
1st Gear
Robin -

I definitely have the HIFI option - I have tweets in the A columns and the Harman Becker amp in the back.

No I'm not sure about the level outputs from the HU, but my understanding from reading the other (lengthy) posts on speaker swaps etc. was that there was no difference in the HU's in each system. I also got the impression along the way that the HIFI amp inputs were speaker level/high level. I could be wrong - I'll try to go back through the other threads to see where I got that idea and will post later if I find it.

I had no problem connecting the sub from the x9331 to the high level inputs and it sounds great. Can't understand why mine would work and yours wouldn't.

Regarding the speaker baffles - I think we've discussed this in another thread - I initially installed them and they sounded TERRIBLE!!! I took them out and the speakers were a huge upgrade to the stock speakers.
The picture on my gallery was to show others what not to buy, and there is a caption on the photo that says they stifled the sound.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
I had no problem connecting the sub from the x9331 to the high level inputs and it sounds great. Can't understand why mine would work and yours wouldn't.
You connected to the small white connector with five wires coming out of it? I tested my Bass600 on my home audio so I know the low level inputs work. On the car, I tried turning the gain all the way up, and nothing but a hum.

Connecting to the RCA jacks worked well for me.

My car is a 2007 MCS Coupe. You have a Clubman. Could there have been a change?

Regarding the speaker baffles - I think we've discussed this in another thread - I initially installed them and they sounded TERRIBLE!!! I took them out and the speakers were a huge upgrade to the stock speakers.
The picture on my gallery was to show others what not to buy, and there is a caption on the photo that says they stifled the sound.
So, I was trying to tell you about yourself.

I didn't scroll down far enough to see the comment.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:29 PM
allmonb
1st Gear
[quote=Robin Casady;2590614]You connected to the small white connector with five wires coming out of it? I tested my Bass600 on my home audio so I know the low level inputs work. On the car, I tried turning the gain all the way up, and nothing but a hum.

Actually, now that I remember, when I first made my connections and turned everything on, I got nothing but a very low hum. I remembered a thread discussing someone hooking up a sub and getting NO bass. The suggestion there was to switch the polarity of ONE of the R or L wires. I did this and everything worked great. I did use the small white connector.

Connecting to the RCA jacks worked well for me.

Can't argue with results... just can't explain the difference.

Brent

Old 12-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Actually, now that I remember, when I first made my connections and turned everything on, I got nothing but a very low hum. I remembered a thread discussing someone hooking up a sub and getting NO bass. The suggestion there was to switch the polarity of ONE of the R or L wires. I did this and everything worked great. I did use the small white connector.
I guess it is possible that I had one channel inverted, but I triple checked the wire colors, as posted in the swap thread. Oh well.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Does anyone think the basslink 600 can be mounted in the boot with the jack/wrench under floor like allmonb did? His is a clubman...was wondering if the clubman and coupe had same size opening down there?

looking at allmonb's gallery, his install looks fantastic

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Boss Audio BASS600 8-inch low profile amplified subwoofer