Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Garmin or Parrot for Bluetooth capability?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:11 PM
bakerjam
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Garmin or Parrot for Bluetooth capability?

I have an 07 MCS R56, lacking Bluetooth and NAV options, and as you all know, has an AUX input as opposed to the 08+ models with the USB adapter.

After consulting a few MINI dealerships in the Greater Toronto Area, getting the Bluetooth installed (usually a factory install) will simply cost too much and wouldn't be worth it. One dealer went as far as telling me just that and advised me to get a Garmin nuvi with Bluetooth (I'm currently looking at the 765T).

The problems I have with obtaining a Garmin is: 1) mounting it, as I've always hated the suction cup option; and 2) The steering wheel Bluetooth controls would still remain useless. The plus however, would mean that by just plugging it into the AUX input and rigging it up to the cigarette lighter for continuous power, the install would be plain easy. Also I'd have a half-decent MP3 player in my car.

The other option I looked at was the Parrot EVO kit. Pluses are 1) an install without the need to splice wires; and 2) ability to use MFSW controls.

As of right now my phone is an iPhone 3G, connected straight from its 3.5mm jack to the cars' 3.5mm AUX input, no power source to the phone. This has worked out well for listening to music.

Now, the Garmin gives me the option of a GPS (which I'm indifferent on), and MP3 music (but would have to load music onto an SD card; kind of a pain to me). Questionables are: making a nice looking install (I would have to do this in someway), and the power source (does the usb provide power to the Garmin, as well as audio to the cars' speakers?).

The Parrot gives me MFSW controls (which I absolutely love) and a stealth install (from what I've researched). However, I would still have to use my iPhone as the MP3 player plugged in the AUX input (as the iPhone doesn't support A2DP, oh only if there was a way.)

What do you guys think I should go with?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:28 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Many of the Parrot Units will allow you to direct connect to the Mini so it is a stealth install and will allow use of the MFSW controls.

And i believe in that case they do not require the AUX input. They should mute the audio from the audio system and thus work well for you. Still allowing the iPod function to work as you are now.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Peef
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the Parrot kit last spring - works perfectly. Not the easiest thing in the world to do, but if you're comfortable with installing car audio, it's doable. I bought the kit from newministuff.com, and their included instructions were a huge help.

FWIW, I also have the Garmin Nuvi 360 installed with the MINI supplied bracket attached to the rev counter. Works well, but there isn't enough volume in the speaker to consider using the Bluetooth. Other Garmin units may be better in this respect, but won't work with the bracket.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:47 AM
nullstadt
1st Gear
Hi...re: mounting Garmin and getting power, there is a company named Kuda that sells a near-OEM look dash mount, that goes on top of the dash on the corner of the speedo. People seem pretty happy with them, from what I can tell...there's a few threads out there about it, here is one of them:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=111280

There's also a more "elegant" way to power it, by way of an "add a circuit" that goes to the fuse box...you can hide most of the cables behind the dash, and it looks a lot cleaner that way, plus it frees up the power outlet. I don't have a ready link for that, but I know there are threads on here that discuss it.

These won't solve the issue with not being able to use the bluetooth buttons on the MFSW, but it does appear to be an easier install than the Parrot, depending on your comfort level. I haven't installed these myself, but was researching on what others had done, as I'm looking to install a Garmin myself pretty soon.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:52 AM
bakerjam
2nd Gear
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to go with the Parrot. Reason being, Mike from newministuff.com has informed me that as voice dialing isn't built into the iPhone 3G, there wouldn't be any way to make calls in this manner, and thus I would end up picking up the phone to make a call with either Bluetooth unit. I'm fine with this as my favorite feature is use of the MFSW, and I hardly make calls (just answer them) due to the fact that dialing is more dangerous/attention consuming.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 PM
mdot
2nd Gear
What model number Parrot are you buying? I have the same reasoning as you, Bakerjam. Just want to use the stering wheel buttons for answering etc and have an Iphone.

And I'm in the US, so where would I buy from?

Thanks!

Last edited by mdot; 12-07-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:20 PM
bakerjam
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mdot
What model number Parrot are you buying? I have the same reasoning as you, Bakerjam. Just want to use the stering wheel buttons for answering etc and have an Iphone.

And I'm in the US, so where would I buy from?

Thanks!
From all of the threads I've read, the simplest option is to go through Mike from www.newministuff.com. A lot of of people seem to be pleased with the kits he offers, and he responds to emails rather quickly. Nice guy too!

I'm making my purchase from him this week.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:28 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
I had the Kuda mounted nuvi 660 gps as in the thread mentioned above. I do detail how I ran the wiring to the fusebox where I used an Add-A-Circuit. Makes for a very clean install. Several cons concerning using it for daily bluetooth calls. First is it's visibility to thieves as I learned the hard way parked for just a couple hours meaning you have to remove every time. Unit's speaker was weak so I ended up getting newministuff's audio interface that will mute the front speakers automatically and play the nav's (or what ever device you plug) audio out. Helped tremendously with the sound and you can listen to the car stereo or even have it off and it will still play the sound. No more having to switch to aux when you need it. Also, caller's had issues with hearing me so I got an external microphone which helped a little. BTW, you can run the external mic up the driver's A-pillar (remove the airbag plastic piece to reveal a torx screw, then the entire trim snaps out pretty easily), in the headliner, to the console above for a nice stealth install. That's where the oem bluetooth mic is installed.

Well, I couldn't help myself, so I ended up fabricating a touchscreen into my center console for an integrated carpc for music, videos, internet, and gps obviating my need for the nuvi 660. My newministuff nav audio interface is for sale by the way in marketplace.

Using my carpc is unreliable for bluetooth phone calls so I ended up getting newministuff's parrot EVO kit. Works great! Much better quality than my Nuvi 660. I didn't get the parrot kit with display because you can't adjust call volume with the MFSW while you can with the EVO. With both you can answer and hangup with the MFSW, though. Anyway, it is not an easy install, after all my mods, I can remove the stereo in less than 10 minutes. First time took me hours. The sweat, blood, cursing, and tears. Priceless.

Sorry for the rambling, this topic always stirs up such memories for me, being one of my first mods ever.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 PM
bakerjam
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
I had the Kuda mounted nuvi 660 gps as in the thread mentioned above. I do detail how I ran the wiring to the fusebox where I used an Add-A-Circuit. Makes for a very clean install. Several cons concerning using it for daily bluetooth calls. First is it's visibility to thieves as I learned the hard way parked for just a couple hours meaning you have to remove every time. Unit's speaker was weak so I ended up getting newministuff's audio interface that will mute the front speakers automatically and play the nav's (or what ever device you plug) audio out. Helped tremendously with the sound and you can listen to the car stereo or even have it off and it will still play the sound. No more having to switch to aux when you need it. Also, caller's had issues with hearing me so I got an external microphone which helped a little. BTW, you can run the external mic up the driver's A-pillar (remove the airbag plastic piece to reveal a torx screw, then the entire trim snaps out pretty easily), in the headliner, to the console above for a nice stealth install. That's where the oem bluetooth mic is installed.

Well, I couldn't help myself, so I ended up fabricating a touchscreen into my center console for an integrated carpc for music, videos, internet, and gps obviating my need for the nuvi 660. My newministuff nav audio interface is for sale by the way in marketplace.

Using my carpc is unreliable for bluetooth phone calls so I ended up getting newministuff's parrot EVO kit. Works great! Much better quality than my Nuvi 660. I didn't get the parrot kit with display because you can't adjust call volume with the MFSW while you can with the EVO. With both you can answer and hangup with the MFSW, though. Anyway, it is not an easy install, after all my mods, I can remove the stereo in less than 10 minutes. First time took me hours. The sweat, blood, cursing, and tears. Priceless.

Sorry for the rambling, this topic always stirs up such memories for me, being one of my first mods ever.
Whoa. That sounds pretty cool. Do you have pics of the touchscreen install?

Old 12-08-2008, 01:08 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bakerjam
Whoa. That sounds pretty cool. Do you have pics of the touchscreen install?
Here's an old pic. Check out my worklog on mp3car for more details. I'm almost ready to post an official thread here.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
bakerjam
2nd Gear
Dude, that's a pretty crazy mod. Did you move the location of the volume ****?

Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bakerjam
Dude, that's a pretty crazy mod. Did you move the location of the volume ****?
nope. sorry, that pic was misleading. it would have been ideal if i could have moved it up but that would be beyond my patience. the volume ****/cd/speedo display/headunit are all integrated.