North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Navigation & Audio (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio-14/)
-   -   Navigation & Audio Navigation System - anyone use it? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio/13597-navigation-system-anyone-use-it.html)

minimia 08-04-2003 09:04 AM

Hello everyone;

Perhaps no one has it, as I did a search and could not find any previous topics. Other than the price being the biggest obstacle for getting the Navigation System, I wondered if anyone out there has it / uses it / could tell me more about it.

I drive a great deal in strange cities, alone. I knew of someone who got the "on star" package for their car and loved it for when they get lost. Oh sure, a cell phone is cheaper to use, but not always in range.

I went to the dealer last week and they were pretty casual about it. (And so far my dealer has been pretty cool - telling me what options are "fluff" and those that people buy and then complain about because they never use them.) Granted when I place my order, they get nice commissions I'm sure, and this is a very expensive option. Honestly, it is out of my price range at the moment, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it just for personal safety.

(I think back to university getting lost in a friend's very expensive car in a very very bad part of Chicago...where the cops pulled us over and bailed us out, but that's another story. Hey - at least I wasn't driving)

Apologies in advance if this has already been debated and I just couldn't find it. (Still a newbie here!)

Thank you!

KevM 08-04-2003 09:21 AM

We have it. We love it, but we love toys.

It's good, but not perfect. It doesn't always list the address or street for which we are looking, but we can always use it to get close.

We used it the other day to find gas. Very handy.

We've used it to find restaurants, but the dbase is not very up-to-date and there is no way to tell before you get to the restaurant that it is not a disgusting hole in the wall.

Mostly, we like to monitor where we are along with an approximate time and distance remaining to our destination. That's a nice feature.

Knowing our altitude along with longitude and latitude is neat, but otherwise almost completely useless (unless we've been diving and are in danger of crossing some tall mountains for something wierd).

We like it, we'd buy it again.

Also, although we love the speedometer in the dash thing, we're glad ours in is on the steering column, cause we'd NEVER look over at the dash....

Do the models without the NAV system have the programmable speed alarm, we like that feature on ours ... we keep it set at 75 mph, but find it is always going off :roll: :grin:

jerrygee 08-04-2003 09:27 AM

I have the Nav and like it a lot. I can’t say I use the Nav every day, but it does work great to find an address that you are looking for. If you do a lot of driving in strange locations I think it would be a great addition to your MC. The new Nav is DVD based so you only need one DVD to give you mapping for the whole US and Canada. One little feature I like about the new Nav (I have had Nav in previous cars that did not have this feature) is the GPS is now three D so it gives you elevation. One added bonus for me at least is with the Nav the speedo is repositioned next to the tach behind the steering wheel. It is my understanding that the model year 2004’s will have a digital speedo display located in the tach so the relocation of the speedo is not that big of a plus anymore. One feature I don’t like is with the Nav you don’t get a coolant temperature gauge, only an idiot light, but this has not been a problem for me yet. I see the Nav as a fun toy and valuable tool.

minimia 08-04-2003 09:27 AM

Thank you KevM, I appreciate your input.

I was thinking the same thing - with the speedometer in the middle of the dash - that means the passenger really can tell how fast I would be driving. Instead they can look at the navigation screen...

That is, WHEN I get my mini. I'll get a red one too, to match the colour of my face when I found out I sent my fist topic in triplicate!

:smile:

minimia 08-04-2003 09:32 AM

>> One added bonus for me at least is with the Nav the speedo is repositioned next to the tach behind the steering wheel. It is my understanding that the model year 2004’s will have a digital speedo display located in the tach so the relocation of the speedo is not that big of a plus anymore.

Hum, that's a bummer about the possible 2004's change in speedometer location if you get the navigation system. Also, I'm not a big fan of the digital speedometer. And at the rate I am going, I'll end up with a 2004 (could be good too). My dealer said they are taking orders for October...

Mia

KevM 08-04-2003 09:34 AM

>>- with the speedometer in the middle of the dash - that means the passenger really can tell how fast I would be driving.>>

That would help my buddy Jay and his wife the rpm nazi (if you read this, I'm just kidding Kim) :smile:

Mia, the 2004 change doesn't really apply to vehicles WITH the nav system. What he was saying was that for 2004 the digital display in the TACH (for models w/out the nav system) is now ALSO going to include a digital speedo readout (it currently displays one of the following, if I remember correctly, range, fuel consump, outside temp or avg speed)

Our Baby? - she's an 03 Elect Blue (white roof/wheels) MCS, w/ all the toys (premium, cold, h/k, Nav, xenon, fogs etc) !

jerrygee 08-04-2003 09:35 AM

Mia,

The speedo will still be located in the center of the dash on non Nav equipped MC’s, they are just adding a digital display in the tach to facilitate monitoring your speed.

Jerry

minihune 08-04-2003 09:42 AM

In Hawaii there isn't very far one can go but it is not impossible to get lost if in an unfamilar area. Besides the obvious navigational uses there are computer functions built into the Nav screen and the other very popular option for the central dash screen is to add a TV picture, playstation games and DVD from a NAV TV tuner option using the in dash NAV screen. The image quality is actually quite good.
It isn't cheap though- figure several $1000s. You'll need to add a TV tuner box and input the DVD image from an in dash DVD player (no built in screen version) and the labor to install this all. :wink:

minimia 08-04-2003 09:47 AM

>>The speedo will still be located in the center of the dash on non Nav equipped MC’s, they are just adding a digital display in the tach to facilitate monitoring your speed. >>

Oh, now I get it. Thanks for the clarification. Funny my dealer said they are taking orders for October, but won't even get a 2004 borchure until at least mid-November...

And yes, my first post topic in triplicate. Although I did send my initial post reply about trying to fit a big dog into the back of a Mini. I thought it would be presumptuous for a newbie to send a whole new topic post. Instead, look what I do to make an entrance.
:cool:

And regarding big dogs, the dealer told me some people have even brought their huge dog crates to fit into the back before ordering...just in case.

C4 08-04-2003 09:52 AM

A friend of mine that owns a '02 MCS has the NAV system and he uses it all the time because he is a real estate agent. Unless you do a lot of travelling into unfamiliar areas for business or pleasure, the NAV system is just a very expensive toy sitting smack middle in your dashboard.

The NAV systems in 2002's and earlier 2003's is CD-ROM based while in recent production cars is already DVD based. The DVD based system is much, much better and only costs $100 more than the old CD-ROM NAV system ($1700 vs $1600).

Still, this option is too rich for my blood. I like the speedo mounted in the middle of the dashboard much better and really dislike the fact that you are stuck with idiot lights for the coolant temperature and fuel gauges when going with the NAV.

Besides a good Magellan or NAVTECH GPS system is as good or better than the stock MINI NAV system and for hundreds $$$$ less,

MINIclo 08-04-2003 10:16 AM

:cool: :grin:

Also, I believe you can purchase the Garmin for about $600 on ebay, so that's a HUGE savings over the OEM! :wink:

Cheers!
Clover :wink:

KevM 08-04-2003 11:12 AM

>>Still, this option is too rich for my blood. I like the speedo mounted in the middle of the dashboard much better and really dislike the fact that you are stuck with idiot lights for the coolant temperature and fuel gauges when going with the NAV.
>>

Can't argue with how cool the speedo is in the dash... however, a minor correction.

The Nav system vehicles still have a fuel gauge, not just an idiot light (the gauge is a band of about 10 leds below the gauge that extinquish one after another until you get to the final, which turns RED as your low fuel warning).

As for the temp gauge, I've read other posts (but have not verified) that it is a gauge style idiot light, I.E. doesn't give true readings (not a true linear thermister), but goes to center for normal, and HOT for overheat (can anyone confirm or deny this out of curiousity).... if that's the case, I'd miss it, less :wink:

Chitown_COOP 08-04-2003 12:27 PM

We got the NAV on the new MCS and LOVE it. I thought it was kind of fluffy when ordering, but it is really great--not perfect--but still great. I use it at least a couple of times a week, and I feel like I'm generally pretty good about directions around town. It's nice to have a backup though...

Get it. You won't be sorry.

bbmykal 08-04-2003 02:02 PM

I wanted the NAV to move the speedo infront of me. I am also a gadget freak and not geting it would not be an option. I decided I rather go for the NAV than the Leather interior.

Everyone I know that got it even when they did not think they would use it now can not live with out it.
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/aadc5...i4sL_ADNGVk2zG

chrisfb1 08-04-2003 03:04 PM

bbmykal
I'm extremly agree with you. I gave up my leather option and getting my NAV, too.
Nav is the most flexable, useful, multifunctional option in MINI. There are no other options can give you so many functions, informations, and excitment. I would give up any other option and go for Nav. ( OF course I did not gave up most of the options, coz i like them all!)

NAV is the new trend of the new generation automobile. Just like people buying CD player back in the early 90's. couple of years later, how many people have to change their tape into a after market CD player and spend labor and parts. If you buy them at the beginning there would be no hassel.

I suggest everybody get the NAV. NAV is the new trend option after CD player. 1700 is a big number for NAV, but it cost almost same and less hassel than install a after market NAV. Go for it!

C4 08-04-2003 05:47 PM

>>bbmykal
>>I'm extremly agree with you. I gave up my leather option and getting my NAV, too.
>>Nav is the most flexable, useful, multifunctional option in MINI. There are no other options can give you so many functions, informations, and excitment. I would give up any other option and go for Nav. ( OF course I did not gave up most of the options, coz i like them all!)
>>
>>NAV is the new trend of the new generation automobile. Just like people buying CD player back in the early 90's. couple of years later, how many people have to change their tape into a after market CD player and spend labor and parts. If you buy them at the beginning there would be no hassel.
>>
>>I suggest everybody get the NAV. NAV is the new trend option after CD player. 1700 is a big number for NAV, but it cost almost same and less hassel than install a after market NAV. Go for it!

The NAV is a cool looking toy but for my daily 18 mile commute is next to useless. I still think $1,700 is pretty hefty admission price. You can do just as good or better with any of the aftermarket GPS alternatives available in the market today (Magellan, NAVTECH, etc) and for much less moola. Also, MINICLO makes a very good point about the flexibility afforded by the aftermarket GPS systems that you can use them in different cars or even if you are trekking in the backcountry.

To me the MINI's NAV (And most new car's NAV systems) remind me of the overpriced factory cellular phones that you could not take out of the car.

I still like my big and oversized center speedo...this is a MINI hallmark.

minimia 08-04-2003 06:28 PM

Thank you everyone! This has been a big help to me and making sure I really understand my future mini purchase and will be happy with my choices. It's helped clarify the good things I have heard and given me some options.

(How about that BMW!)

:grin:

DUCTTAPE 08-04-2003 06:33 PM

Be careful, the BMWNA thought police might take away your MINI if you let them know you found out something good on a non-authorized site.

Big Brother may live, but I consider it my job to run him over!

This has been a big help to me and making sure I really understand my future mini purchase and will be happy with my choices. It's helped clarify the good things I have heard and given me some options.
>>
>>(How about that BMW!)
>>
>> :grin:

BTW, a great option. Mostly because I love toys, but the few times I really needed it, it was excellent.

minimia 08-04-2003 06:45 PM

>>Be careful, the BMWNA thought police might take away your MINI if you let them know you found out something good on a non-authorized site.
>>
>>Big Brother may live, but I consider it my job to run him over!

I just sent a note to the legal issues post. BMW might stand for a mixed up version of "Big Machine Watching" rather than Bavarian Motor Works. Maybe they should read ANIMAL FARM along with 1984 too.

Seriously, I would never purchase such an expensive option by just listening to the dealer.

And isn't DUCT TAPE a brand name?! Be careful! :eek:

ball7068 08-04-2003 10:32 PM

If I was given $10 for every time I used it to get out of a jam, it would have already paid for itself. Heres the reasons I love it so much, I'll get it in every car from now on....

Visiting friends/family in other cities - not only does it get you out of jams, but it just helps figuring out the city... Leading into how much better its made me learn my city. If you are casually looking at the map while driving, it really helps you learn the true layout of roads... And it finds you shortcuts - either by looking at the map and realizing a more efficient route or by the NAV telling you better route...And the girlfirend is a lot more quiet at times, no more "are you sure??" - thats easily solved without having to ask

Its great, especially if you travel or are not 100% sure around your city. Its makes for really fun Motoring - I just head whereever looks cool - going down completely random streets. When were done, I tell it to take me home. How great?

Erik

Mr Battle 08-05-2003 11:51 AM

i use it alot! it works good and gives me a lil more confidence when im driving. its nice to know how many wrong turns i make it can tell me how to get home!! its saved my butt a couple times already and i only had my mini for like 2 weeks

10851CS 11-15-2003 11:20 AM

I have the iNAV (soon to be on the sponsor directory) in mine. VOICE activated NO screen, talks to you you talk to it, it tells you when and where to turn, finds restaurants by type, gives you the address and phone number and will guide you there.

Watch for it on the sponsor directory SOON.

earl

10851CS 11-15-2003 11:21 AM

sorry forgot to say Two hands on the wheel and Two eyes on the road.

Earl

KatanaPilot 11-15-2003 07:12 PM

Today I went bowling with a few friends. When we got there, the wait was an hour and a half.
We used my nav to search for other bowling alleys. Right there on the screen was the address and
phone number of another bowling alley, called them to make sure they have lanes available, and
off we went. The Nav guided us right to the other bowling alley.

Yes I agree it is an overpriced toy, but now that I have it, I can't imagine being without one.

myblkmini 11-15-2003 07:40 PM

Okay i am recing my car hopefully in a month i order it with NAVI :smile: i paid 1400.00 where is the drive for the maping cd? can u put a reg dvd in it? pics of where it is located would also be great