Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Reasonable base audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasonable base audio upgrade

Got a nice speaker package today from Tweeter to upgrade the 6 stock speakers in the base audio system. Replaced all with Polk DB coaxial series (DB400 & DB650 2-ways in front, DB690 3-ways in the rear). Very noticeable improvement. Instead of bass/treble set at +6/+5, I've got it set now at +4/+3, and fader at one tick to the rear. It's putting out better bass, crisper highs, and generally better clarity all around. It won't quite realign your vertebrae like an amplified system with a sub, but you can definitely feel it in the seats when you crank it up.

The whole package was $300, including installation. For the improvement in sound, it was very much worth it. I wouldn't call myself a hardcore audiophile, but I do like a good full, clear sounding system, and I'm very happy with this combination.

Hope this is helpful to anybody else on a budget who isn't completely satisfied with the stock system.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Standeck
1st Gear
Useful information, thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:21 AM
masterd78
MANIAC
Cool I just ordered from crutchfield the Polk MMC 690, Polk MMC 650, and Polk db 351. Crutchfield is having a buy one get the other half off, so my total came to $315. I will see how it sounds when I get them, and possibly put an amp in later. Congrats!!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by masterd78
Cool I just ordered from crutchfield the Polk MMC 690, Polk MMC 650, and Polk db 351. Crutchfield is having a buy one get the other half off, so my total came to $315. I will see how it sounds when I get them, and possibly put an amp in later. Congrats!!
Nice ... I'll be anxious to hear what you think of the MMC series. Looks like they've got better frequency response than the DB's. I don't think I"ll be adding an amp in this car, so I went lower-budget.

BTW, you may want to go with the DB400 in the upper door holes. I read in another thread here that 3.5" is actually a little small for that opening. Good luck with the install!

"Zagger" ... I like it!

Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by masterd78
Also anxious to hear what you think of the setup. I went over to Tweeter last night and they recommended the MMC 690 and 650 for my '07 MCS with (not so) HiFi upgrade. About $430 with installation. Would have purchased then and there, but the only thing is I'd be looking at an almost 3 week wait. I'm also considering adding an aftermarket amp later. According to the attendant, those speakers need a good bit of power to truly shine.

Curious to hear how many people have replaced the rear speakers. Some have claimed it to be pointless without adding an amp, as the stock headunit/amp sends all low frequency sound to the front speakers.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman
I went over to Tweeter last night and they recommended the MMC 690 and 650 for my '07 MCS with (not so) HiFi upgrade. About $430 with installation. Would have purchased then and there, but the only thing is I'd be looking at an almost 3 week wait.
I had a 3-week wait from the time I ordered as well. It actually gave me time to do a little more research to to make sure I was getting the best bang for my buck. It was worth the wait, and worth the extra $120 for them to do the install, too.

One of these days I'm gonna have to give a listen to a stock HiFi system and compare it to mine just to see for myself how bad it really is.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EdsRedMini
I had a 3-week wait from the time I ordered as well. It actually gave me time to do a little more research to to make sure I was getting the best bang for my buck. It was worth the wait, and worth the extra $120 for them to do the install, too.

One of these days I'm gonna have to give a listen to a stock HiFi system and compare it to mine just to see for myself how bad it really is.
Yea, I'm thinking that's gonna be pretty much standard. The guy even showed me his calendar - booked absolutely solid. Only thing is he won't schedule me until I put money down, which is why I wanted to ask a couple questions on here and do a bit more research first. I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger this week. They're actually charging me only $80 for the install, so not bad at all given their pretty solid reputation and relative PITA which it is to get to the speakers.

IMO the stock HiFi system isn't bad. Main thing is the stock speakers are very cheaply made (paper) so it distorts significantly at the (admittedly high) volume which I tend to listen to my music at. Also the stock amp runs out of juice pretty early on. I often find myself turning the volume **** to see it's completely maxed out.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman
They're actually charging me only $80 for the install, so not bad at all given their pretty solid reputation and relative PITA which it is to get to the speakers.
Mine was $120 'cos I did all 3 pairs ($40 per pair). I tried to get them to come down seeing that most of the work was already done for the second set in the doors. But I think they knew what they were in for in the back, so it all evened out in the end.

But basically I had the same reasons here ... I've had great luck with Tweeter in the past. And even though the process of pulling and replacing is well documented here, some things I just don't care to muck with myself, car interiors being right up near the top of that list.

Anyway, good luck if/when you decide to pull the trigger. I'm sure you'll like the improvement.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Black&Gold
2nd Gear
Hi, I've been riding around here looking at different shops to upgrade my base stereo as well. I'm getting $1500 - $1700 prices for speakers and an amp installed, not quite bottom line products, but definately not their top!
Where is this Tweeter shop? I see Msteadman is in PA, I'm guessing you are east?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Tweeter is a national chain (oops, check that ... I don't see any locations west of Texas) that does home and auto audio/video, mostly higher-end stuff than what you'd see at Circuit City and those kinds of places. You could easily dump a year's pay in one visit if you're not careful, but they've got good gear that won't kill your budget, too. I've had very good luck with them.

Here's a link to their locations in PA:
http://www.tweeter.com/aboutus/store...e.asp?state=PA