Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Possible to switch out iPod integration for newer/lightning cable version?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 PM
tenshiryu
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible to switch out iPod integration for newer/lightning cable version?

I'm taking my ol' boy across the country and need music/audiobooks for my sanity. He's a 2005 MCS Hardtop with the iPod integration (old 30pin). I've now an iPhone 5, which means lightning cable. I'm wondering if there's a way to remove the old factory-installed iPod integration and switch it out with an updated one that has the lightning cable (and/or aux jack)?

That integration is totally mucked up from sheer use now, so using a lightning/30pin adapter is out of the Q. I had been using a car charger cable and keeping the phone in the cupholder for music but I'd really like to use my sound system, mostly for the drive.

I suppose this is a multi-part question.
1) Does such an upgraded unit exist? Would seriously love a lightning-cable integration for it.

2) If it does exist, how do I remove/install the integration? I'm a total nub with cars tho I sort of know my way around with tools. LMGTFY is fine to link me because I may be searching the wrong key words. :(

3) Would it be better to 'upgrade' to a diff iPod integration and then use a lightning cable adapter? (Heck, will music play with just the lightning or will it need an aux cord too?)

Thanks so much for your help, everyone Here's to hoping he (and I) survives the long journey!