Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio My Nuvi 660 GPS, Kuda mounted and hardwired

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:18 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Nuvi 660 GPS, Kuda mounted and hardwired

This forum rocks. I have never installed anything in a car before. I didn't even know what a Torx screw was. Just by searching all of your forums, I was able to install my Kuda mount for my Nuvi 660 GPS and hardwire it to my fusebox.

I followed these instructions by by unixgal to dismantle my dash and install the Kuda mount:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=110837

EDIT: here's a much quicker and easier way to install the Kuda in minutes courtesy of JudgeS
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...3&postcount=51

I hid the power cable behind the dash trim and down under my steering column and in-between crevices to the passenger footwell. Lots of places to tuck away the cigarette lighter plug and socket, and I still get good reception for the traffic receiver (built in the plug).

I ended up using fuse F21, as recommened by Coffeeman. It powers up when I unlock the door and and has a 30 minute delay power down. Check out oPossum's Hot or Not fuse thread. UPDATE: You can use F32 as recommended by SteelersFan if you want it to turn on and off with the ignition.

You will need a Mini size Add-A-Circuit. I got it at partsexpress. It comes with fuses. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=071-585

I used this female lighter plug adapter:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-570

As for grounding, I connected the ground wire to a screw to the left of the glove compartment when opened.

Thanks everyone. Now, I'm itching for my next mod.

Edits:
- I added pictures later in thread (post #5).
- Make sure you have the Add-A-Circuit the right way (post #27-28).
- Be careful cutting the cigarette adapter plug off and hardwiring directly to the wires. The adapter plug may be stepping down the voltage (check post #48-49).
- I explained with pictures how I ran the power cord to the Kuda mount (post #52).
- The ribbed wire from the female cigarette adapter is power, and the one with writing when separated is ground (post #68).

Last edited by lacning74; 11-27-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
How about a pic of the finished installation?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:27 AM
mistro
6th Gear
pix would be nice

Old 08-20-2007, 08:33 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Avian admirer

So I went to take pictures of my installation, and looks like my Mini has an admirer. This better not be the one that left a permanent bird crap stain on my bonnet.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Now that the shock is over, here are pics of my installation.

Kuda mount:

Fusebox with Add-A-Circuit (WARNING! Check instructions later in thread regarding which way to put it in.):

Fuse box and lighter socket:

Tucked away:

Last edited by lacning74; 11-28-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Warning! I put in the Add-A-Circuit upside down.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 AM
FeedBack
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lacning74

Cool! Where can I get one of these MINI Guard Birds?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:10 AM
ramtaajogi
2nd Gear
exactly what i plan on doing. thanks alot for the summary

Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 AM
pdoyle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ramtaajogi
exactly what i plan on doing. thanks alot for the summary
Same here! Thanks lacning74.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:51 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
No problem. Appreciate it. After mounting and hardwiring my GPS, I have definitely found myself using it a lot more. No more suction cup and dangling wire to plug in. Just take my Nuvi out of the secret compartment and plop it on.

Now I need to plan more motoring adventures.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
My Kuda came in the mail yesterday; still waiting for my Nuvi 350...
The waiting is the hardest part...

Old 08-21-2007, 12:44 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
That looks great. Beautiful job.

Did the bird actually stay there for you to open the passenger door for that 2nd pic?

Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by unixgal
That looks great. Beautiful job.

Did the bird actually stay there for you to open the passenger door for that 2nd pic?
Thanks. Poor bird wouldn't move when I approached it, unlocked the doors, threw sticks at it, and got in through the passenger door to take pictures. When I came back later after work, he left.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:16 PM
jedorme
1st Gear
Kuda Base on Center Stack

Thanks to this thread I'm well on my way to mounting my Garmin Nuvi 660 using the Kuda mount on the top of the dash between the speedometer & left vent. But I also want to use a Kuda mount to install a RoadyXT XM radio down on the right side of the center stack just below the speedometer. Has anyone done this and what, if any, helpful advice or "don't do's" do you have to offer. Pictures like some have posted would be greatly appreciated as well.

Also for what it is worth, one of my friends in the car electronics installation business said that I could probably mount the Nuvi remote antenna under the dash as the new impact molded plastic units don't block out GPS signals. He tells me that he installs them this way on many new cars like Lexus, Mercedes, etc.

Kuda is apparently out of inventory right now so it looks like I won't get their hardware until early September, so I guess I will have to live with the suction cups, dangling cords, etc. from the Nuvi and XM until then. Many thanks again for the help offered on this thread.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:18 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jedorme
Thanks to this thread I'm well on my way to mounting my Garmin Nuvi 660 using the Kuda mount on the top of the dash between the speedometer & left vent. But I also want to use a Kuda mount to install a RoadyXT XM radio down on the right side of the center stack just below the speedometer. Has anyone done this and what, if any, helpful advice or "don't do's" do you have to offer. Pictures like some have posted would be greatly appreciated as well.

Also for what it is worth, one of my friends in the car electronics installation business said that I could probably mount the Nuvi remote antenna under the dash as the new impact molded plastic units don't block out GPS signals. He tells me that he installs them this way on many new cars like Lexus, Mercedes, etc.

Kuda is apparently out of inventory right now so it looks like I won't get their hardware until early September, so I guess I will have to live with the suction cups, dangling cords, etc. from the Nuvi and XM until then. Many thanks again for the help offered on this thread.
I'm interested as well in installing the center stack mount for my Treo. Though I should probably save money and just keep using the cup holder. The rubber insert in the cup holder holds my Treo adequately.

Thanks for the remote antenna tip. Unfortunately, I have to hide my GPS in the secret compartment when I park here in the city. It would be a pain to connect it as well when I get out my Nuvi. That's why I got the Kuda mount and Add-A-Circuit in the first place. I wish the mount had an antenna mcx connection. I'm surrounded by high-rises so it takes a while for my Nuvi to get signal when I start off. Another reason to move to the burbs, besides my toddler.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
Dumb question here but i am having install problems with my sirius unit.

Does it matter which way the add a fuse is mounted? the fuses up or down as in the picture above?

Old 09-07-2007, 10:43 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daveag98
Dumb question here but i am having install problems with my sirius unit.

Does it matter which way the add a fuse is mounted? the fuses up or down as in the picture above?
It *is* possible to install the "add-a-circuit" adapter backwards, and doing so can have disastrous results. Basically, if you install it backwards, your accessory will be drawing power from the supply side of the car's fuse socket rather than the load side, and will bypass the fuse entirely. That means that if your accessory draws too much power, or if the red power wire from the add-a-circuit gets shorted to ground, the fuse won't blow. Instead, the wiring will melt/burn through.

The easiest way to check if you have the add-a-circuit installed correctly is to pull the fuses out of the add-a-circuit adaptor and see if your add-on accessory (radar detector, satellite radio, cell-phone charger, etcetera) still works. If it still works, you have the add-a-circuit installed backwards, and you need to flip it around.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:41 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
Thanks Scott, I will see if thats where i went wrong, I had to abort my Sirius install do to this blunder.

Last edited by daveag98; 09-10-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:24 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
I had the Part-A-Circuit upside-down.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Thanks daveag98 for the "dumb question" and ScottRiqui for clearing my ignorance.

When I took out both fuses, my GPS got no power either way the Add-A-Circuit was inserted, but when I took out one fuse my GPS was still getting power. When I flipped it, no power.

I now have the fuses facing up when the Add-A-Circuit is plugged in.

ScottRiqui, did I still miswire something since the GPS would not power with both fuses removed and Add-A-Circuit inserted either way?

Sorry everyone. I hope I didn't cause any wiring melt-downs.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:32 AM
sirr6
4th Gear
Good job on the write up, but dont pay 16+ dollars for the add a circuit, get it at auto zone for $3-5

Old 10-01-2007, 08:20 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
2008 Map update

I got my Garmin Nuvi 660 at Costco in May. Since then, a new 2008 map update was released. I got a free update in the mail via their website. So far, I have noticed better labeling of highway exits and many more POIs.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 PM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
...As for grounding, I connected the ground wire to a screw to the left of the glove compartment when opened...
Thanks to lacning and unixgal for the most excellent instructions.

I am making good progress on this mod but have a question. Is this the screw that was used for grounding (see attached)? I can't seem to find a good place to ground the 12V adaptor. Any other options in the passenger side foot well area?

Attached Thumbnails My Nuvi 660 GPS, Kuda mounted and hardwired-pict2180.jpg  

Last edited by SteelersFan; 10-19-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:49 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SteelersFan
Thanks to lacning and unixgal for the most excellent instructions.

I am making good progress on this mod but have a question. Is this the screw that was used for grounding (see attached)? I can't seem to find a good place to ground the 12V adaptor. Any other options in the passenger side foot well area?

No problem. That is indeed the screw I used. It was the first candidate I tried, so I'm not sure first hand about any other options. Happy hunting.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:35 PM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
No problem. That is indeed the screw I used. It was the first candidate I tried, so I'm not sure first hand about any other options. Happy hunting.
Thanks. I got the ground hooked up using the screw on the opposite side of the glove box. Also, I used fuse F32. I like the way it only supplies power when the car is on. All in all a very smooth install.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:28 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Great! Congrats on the install. I am still deciding whether or not to use a fuse like F32.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
External antenna

I just installed the Gilsson MCX amplified antenna (right-angle connection). It has a strong magnet to mount it on the roof and also comes with a windshield mount, but I wanted a stealthy install.

Instead, I placed it in the front sunroof shelf edge and ran the cable through the headliner (after pulling away the plastic sunroof trim), down the driver-side A-pillar, and behind the dash trim to my Nuvi GPS unit.

The antenna does not get a great view of the sky since it is obscured by the front edge of the sunroof, but I am getting an accuracy improvement from 20 to 15 feet in the city. While I get about the same number of satellites picking up, the signals are definitely stronger. It goes down to 10 feet if I place it in direct view of the sky.

I have the antenna sideways in the cellphone pic. I secured it flat on that edge with double-sided tape. Hopefully, this is a decent enough location in order to stop getting dropped signals in the city. If not I will get some cable extension and mount it right against the rear sunroof.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio My Nuvi 660 GPS, Kuda mounted and hardwired