North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Navigation & Audio (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio-201/)
-   -   Navigation & Audio Portable GPS for R56 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio/102171-portable-gps-for-r56.html)

Ex-Pat Brit 05-24-2007 05:58 AM

Portable GPS for R56

Greetings fellow NAM'ers.
Being a man of limited means (I just bought a MINI after all), I can't afford $2000 for a built-in system, and the MINI branded NUVI is seriously overpriced.
So what have you got in your MINI?, how did you mount it(there is no Pro-mount for the R56), does it look cool, and does it make a good cup of tea:lol: .
So any reviews, suggestions, and pics would be greatly appreciated

eny mini 05-25-2007 09:37 PM

TomTom 910 - it is so cool. The only difference I can tell is that it doesn't have a MINI icon moving along the road like the NUVI does. Bluetooth for your cell phone works perfectly as well. A much better alternative than the 2k BMW wants. And a great support group too. :thumbsup:

minimaximini 05-26-2007 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ex-Pat Brit (Post 1539208)
Greetings fellow NAM'ers.
Being a man of limited means (I just bought a MINI after all), I can't afford $2000 for a built-in system, and the MINI branded NUVI is seriously overpriced.
So what have you got in your MINI?, how did you mount it(there is no Pro-mount for the R56), does it look cool, and does it make a good cup of tea:lol: .
So any reviews, suggestions, and pics would be greatly appreciated

Garmin nuvi 6xx series or 3xx series - on a Kuda (leather) mount. No drilled holes. See thread(s) below. Great setup - replaces ipod/bluetooth/gps.

MMM

Peef 05-26-2007 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by minime07 (Post 1542616)
TomTom 910 - it is so cool. The only difference I can tell is that it doesn't have a MINI icon moving along the road like the NUVI does. Bluetooth for your cell phone works perfectly as well. A much better alternative than the 2k BMW wants. And a great support group too. :thumbsup:

I have the TomTom 910 as well, mounted on the lower left side of the windshield. Got it for the Bluetooth functionality, which works perfectly. It also does a decent job with my iPod. In many respects, the TomTom is superior to the navi system built into my other car (Acura TL). Highly recommended! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

07cooper 05-26-2007 04:56 PM

My wife gave me a mini gps. I asked at the dealership and after 5 minutes they gave me the installation paperwork. 2 wires no big deal. Works well. It is a nuvi 360. My garmin streetpilot works better bt it looks good in the mini.

AR56 05-29-2007 11:37 AM

I am using the Garmin NUVI 360. I downloaded the MINI logo and graphics. While still searching for a better mounting method, I am currenlty using the supplied suction cup mont of the MINI's speedometer. I ran a 3.5mm stero mini jack from the Nuvi to the MINI AUX in. I can get the sound from the GPS through the MINI audio system when I switch to AUX input. I also loaded up some 2Gb SD cards with MP3s and I am using that as an MP3 player. I am pleased so far.

I would like to find a better mount, but I want something that will work near the center of the car, as my kid wants to see it from the back or passenger seat.

Let me know what you find...

z3bum 06-28-2007 04:30 PM

My NUVI 360 makes great tea... Garmin has a line of lower cost NUVIs (less the mp3 player) that look neat. Still don't have a good way to mount it though.

*update* Proclip, www.proclipusa.com now has a mount for R56 MINIs. I just ordered the mount and bracket for the NUVI. Haven't received them yet, but here is what the mount looks like. The NUVI specific peice is a little ball that mounts on the plate shown below. It uses the NUVI's bracket and power cord. Should be cool!

http://www.proclipusa.com/core/frame...480&height=480

http://www.proclipusa.com/core/frame...480&height=480

trackster 06-28-2007 05:18 PM

I like the Garmin 670 for its size, ease of use and relaibility. I have ahd a few otehr brands but the Garmin was always the most intuitive. It comes with all kinds of mounts etc and is a very complete system. The entire US is already loaded into its memory and you can add your own photos , music etc. There is also blue tooth capability .

SimpsonGI 06-28-2007 11:40 PM

I got a Garmin Nuvi 360 for my wifes 05 MCSa. It works great, we have it mounted to using the standard windshield mount on the left side. I haven't hooked it up to the aux port on her stereo though, I may consider doing that in the near future. We really love the Garmin though, I hope I like the OEM Tom Tom unit in my MCSa when it arrives in about 5 weeks.

When I was shopping for a unit for my wife, I compared Garmin to Tom Tom and it looked like the Garmin maps were better in my area.

notmestl 06-29-2007 05:03 AM

I have a Garmin streetpilot C330 that I purchased about a year ago that I will be sharing with my other car as well. Great great GPS, I won't travel anywhere without it!
I use a friction mount on the dash which I believe will work just fine in the MINI, I'll know when it arrives :nod: .

G_r_i_F_F 10-11-2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by notmestl (Post 1599260)
I use a friction mount on the dash which I believe will work just fine in the MINI, I'll know when it arrives :nod: .

So how did that friction mount work out? I just got a Garmin C580 and I'm looking at different mounting options.

Thanks!

pdoyle 10-11-2007 11:28 AM

Here is a thread discussing the Garmin's mounted (& hard wired) on a Kuda mount. I will be doing this same install this evening on my R56.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=111280

artsmini 10-12-2007 03:14 PM

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and for now am using the suction mount to the windshield. Also downloaded the MINI logo and graphics.

dogdal24 10-12-2007 04:07 PM

We have the Nuvi 360 and use the beanbag mount just because we can switch it between Mini's depending on who needs it more. The beanbag mount does a pretty good job of staying in place. So far we love it!

tdm156 10-12-2007 04:08 PM

I have a Tomtom go 510 I have had for a year and I just got my wife a Tomtom One and they both work great.

cob666 10-12-2007 04:41 PM

I have the Nuvi 680 and had the dash mount stuck to the dash in my previous car but (obviously) didn't want to leave the glue residue on the dash of my new MCS. So... I was using the windshield mount but found that the suction cup kept falling off more frequently (luckily I had a couple of them from previous GPS units).

I broke down and bought the Kuda mount and installed it last weekend and wanted to wait a few days before posting my comments. Please note that I did not decide to hard wire it just in case I didn't like the mount.

I like having the GPS in front of my right hand as it is extremely easy to press buttons on the Nuvi there. However, I don't like the fact that it seems to be kind of close to the steering wheel. I can stick my finger out while grasping the steering wheel and touch the unit. I guess this is convenient to use while driving but it seems a little weird having it that close.

Other than that one issue, I like it so far.

Modnar 10-12-2007 06:59 PM

If you've already got a Garmin Nuvi 3-series you just get the mount from the 'official' portable Nav package that sits to the left side of the tach and then hardwires in down somewhere in the bowels of the steering column area.

KNTRKTOR 10-12-2007 07:56 PM

BlackBerry Curve 8320 mounted on the MINI specific ProClip mount paired with a freedom mini keychain gps puck and TeleNav. Loving it!

MiniWidower 10-13-2007 07:32 AM

Hey folks - Amazon.com - Garmin Nuvi 650 - $423.33 - That's about 1/3 off MSRP. Enjoy

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-_10062007.jpg

Batman1usa 10-13-2007 08:56 AM

Garmin #1

This is the one I have and at about $250.00 at Walmart it fits the budget and works G R E A T ! IMHO. Doesn't have all the top of the line features but I decided and discovered they aren't worth the extra $ IMO as well. I think I saw them at Walmart last week for $228.00. I just stick mine in the cup holder or suction it to the window.

Originally Posted by notmestl (Post 1599260)
I have a Garmin streetpilot C330 that I purchased about a year ago that I will be sharing with my other car as well. Great great GPS, I won't travel anywhere without it!

MiniWidower 10-17-2007 07:31 AM

Update - just got the Proclip in the mail. Took all of 10 seconds to install - it's in a great spot and sturdy as can be. Just waiting on the Nuvi 650 to arrive.

CooperB 10-17-2007 07:54 AM

If you've already got a Garmin Nuvi 3-series you just get the mount from the 'official' portable Nav package that sits to the left side of the tach and then hardwires in down somewhere in the bowels of the steering column area.
This is what I am thinking about doing, but I have not found the offical MINI part number for just the bracket/install kit. Anyone know what part # to order for just the mounting kit? Thanks.

4xAAA 10-17-2007 08:04 AM

Well, I went with the change from under the cushions of the couch. Microsoft Streets and trips and a laptop. I bought S&T for home use while planning. Then I got a great deal on the laptop. So I didn't have the gps antenna when we went on the trip.
OK. At least it was easier than refolding a map! S&T has all the gps support tools built in, all I have to do is add a $36 antenna. D'oh!

It's on order!

Dawger101 10-17-2007 08:15 AM

Garmin Mount

1 Attachment(s)
I mounted my Garmin using the supplied hardware as shown in the attached photo. It works great and detaches in a snap for storage.

MiniWidower 10-18-2007 03:27 PM

Well, NUVI 650 came today - took about 10 minutes to update and add the Mini splash screen and Cooper icons, then about 1 minute to mount on the ProClip. It's in a great spot but the glare isn't right in your face at night. Highly recommend this arrangement for people who want quality GPS Navigation in their Mini without paying the dealer's butcher bill.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co..._in_Mini_6.jpg https://www.northamericanmotoring.co..._in_Mini_2.jpg