NAM Alliance Magazine Feedback and Ideas Let us know what you think of the current issue and what ideas you have for future issues.

What How To's do you want to see in the NAM Alliance Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:26 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What How To's do you want to see in the NAM Alliance Magazine

The subject says it all.

Please tell us what you want to see Chad cover in upcoming issues.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 PM
noraa
2nd Gear
a section for car parts, DIY section, people showing off their rides and telling about how they came up with the ideas and what not.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:54 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crank Pulley install.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:37 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
The oil change was a good start, continuing with the routine maintenance theme, brake and cooling system flush. I also wouldn't mind a few expert opinions with some research in an article about tire rotation.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
interior DIY's for those of us with 'older' MINI's who'd like to try out some make overs. personally i'd love to see how someone did their door ovals and i think alot of others would but, are afraid to tackle it without a nice tutorial.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since the 1st gen cars have some age on them now, a good idea would be how to spot a failed power steering fan before the engine overheats. This is a time bomb in so many cars, and the troubleshooting is simple. If you want a write-up, I can do it.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
Since the 1st gen cars have some age on them now, a good idea would be how to spot a failed power steering fan before the engine overheats. This is a time bomb in so many cars, and the troubleshooting is simple. If you want a write-up, I can do it.
that's a good one.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Brakes!

And random, but headliner removal.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:43 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
How about some Cabrio-centric stuff like sway bar and exhaust for Justacoopers? MCs tend to be less covered and MCCs are just flat out ignored.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
thanks for all the ideas. i have a few good ones to do for the next few issues.

MiniMaybee: even though we show S's in photos and talk about them, all of this applies to a cooper also. a sway bar on a cooper is the same as a sway bar on the S, and it's the same on a Conv. there is just one more bolt to remove. same with exhaust, they have the same mounting point, the just look different. i have a cooper intake in stock and next time i install it I'll take a lot of photos and do a how to on that one also. we try not to do or show just S's, but 95% of that cars that come to me here are. so bring your cooper on over and we would be happy to do and show anything you like.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Marwan
5th Gear
I think camshaft installation would be great too!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:14 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
I'm just tweaking you a bit. I know MCS are more prevalent and tend to have more mods available. And while it is true that most things are similar between MC & MCS, there are some differences. Throw in convertible and automatics and there are some significant differences in parts and installation.
Just food for thought from a MCCa owner.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:57 AM
sil3ncer7
5th Gear
Small but good Performance item tweaks/adds (ssk, brake pads,boost gauge, different additional gauges, CAI,) "Small but "cheap(er) than some mods "Budget Mods" I guess you could call em.

Some "Justacooper" mods and stuff so you "s" Folks arnt leaving us out

Also Bigger upgrades (ecu, BBK, lowering, upgrading rims/tires)

How to choose what would best suit you type of deal "Should I get these pads or these?" "BBK or Not"?

Autocross classification/car setup (how to determine your class, and how to achieve that class)

Ill think of more but just some to get me goin..

Old 08-23-2008, 12:21 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Besides a "How to" section, perhaps also have a "Troubleshooting" section. GreatBear's suggestion would then fall into the latter category.

Suggestion for "how to" --- the one-ball mod (apparently the most common exhaust mod based on a thread her on NAM).

Suggestion for "troubleshooting" --- how do you know/diagnose if your supercharger is going south.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Thanks...noted

Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ofioliti

Suggestion for "troubleshooting" --- how do you know/diagnose if your supercharger is going south.
Typically my supercharger is going south when I'm driving towards states like Florida or the Mexican border.... I just couldn't resist saying that.

I would like to see troubleshooting tips and techniques covering common problems, and maybe a little something on OBDII codes.
Also, how about a project car? I know time and budget wouldn't allow for you guys to just buy a stock car to start with but maybe there's a member who recently got a new, unmodified car and would be willing to do articles covering the parts they install on the car. In return perhaps sponsors could send parts their way for publicity.
Finally, I don't know if many of the Alliance members are non-MINI owners looking for one, but even for those of us with one already who might like to look for a second car, a how-to on buying a used MINI, and maybe sort of a market report to help examine their used values would be useful.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:53 PM
swflaboy
4th Gear
Excuse me for being a noob and a little basic here.......

All of these performance mods are not something that I am thinking about as a soon-to-be owner.

How about a how to on detailing and caring for your new/older vehicle? There is some great (tho daunting) info in the detailing 101 forum. You have some fantastic vendors with info/experience to share......in a concise step-by-step format maybe?

Maybe a vinyl install article. Stripes and the like? Again, excuse me for being rudimentary but I have never considered installing stripes on any other vehicle but now I am a bit obsessed by the idea.

edit: I just found the link to the first edition of the magazine and see there is a detailing article....my bad.

Last edited by swflaboy; 10-04-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:14 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Thought I might address a few of the comments.

While these are addresses to individuals there is some cross-over with what others have requested. Keep em coming, this magazine is for ya'll and by ya'll. If you want to contribute an article or how-to please contact me. This is your publication.

swfalboy - As you have seen there is a ongoing series on Detailing. You'll find articles in each issue. I'm also in the process of assembling a team to test and review detailing products. This project is still in it's infancy. Added the stripes/vinyl install to the master wishlist

Deviant - I've identified a few people with ongoing or new projects that have been started. Look for write-up as I can cajole them from these people. Added troubleshooting to the wish list.

sil3ncer7 - Many of the S mods also apply, but I've been working on finding specific JustaCooper items for both review and how-to's. Also working on AUto-X articles.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:33 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Let's see:

- Window Motor install/adjust
- 05-06 Motor Mount change out
- 02 Sensor

Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Doesnotcompute
3rd Gear
How about some quick how-to guide for the common installs - Whalen Shift ****, Euro parcel shelf, skid plate, auto up windows etc?

Perhaps an article on window tinting as it seems to come up in the forums quite a lot.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:14 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
For some of these, Whalen **** and Auto Up would people look to the magazine or would they contact the manufacturers of these items. Are these traded in the used market enough to warrant such a thing? Besides, both Doug and Ian have detailed instructions on their sites. I'm wondering what more we can offer by publishing these.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Doesnotcompute
3rd Gear
Are they traded enough? I would say so, they seem to crop up fairly often.

You're right, the instructions that come with both are pretty good, if you have a reasonable understanding of what you're doing. Certainly for the WSM, there have been a number of threads that ask about the installation - mostly because of the effort required to remove the OEM ****.

That said, it's not always about instructions, sometimes people just like to read about things for general interest and inspirational purposes etc. Or is that just me?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:57 PM
sfoanna
2nd Gear
1. How about a four seasons theme: it could be an recurring DIY checklist of items to change/check when the weather/season changes.

2. Or, a recurring mileage theme, say an article that discusses typical things that go wrong/bad at certain mileage milestones.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:45 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Doesnotcompute - Look for a take on the Whalan **** item in the Dec Issue. Still on the fence about the auto-up since Ian has very complete instructions available to all on his website.

sfoanna - Good ideas, I've added them to our master plan.