North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   NAM Alliance Magazine Feedback and Ideas (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/nam-alliance-magazine-feedback-and-ideas-277/)
-   -   1st issue, Feb, 2008. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/nam-alliance-magazine-feedback-and-ideas/130853-1st-issue-feb-2008-a.html)

03Indigo 03-01-2008 04:10 AM

1st issue, Feb, 2008.

sil3ncer7 03-01-2008 06:10 AM

I love it. After seeing the artical for detailing.. I fell in love and joined right after reading that. Looks VERY promising, and looking forward to alot of good topics..

Mark 03-01-2008 08:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Be sure to send a special thanks to Sherill (sagworks) and Nathan (gnatster) as well as all the contributors. It was a lot of effort to get to the first issue. Now that we have something to run with I'm hoping that the second issue (already in the works) will come along quickly. Thanks again for the feedback!

Mark

Gil-galad 03-03-2008 05:27 AM

Congrats on the first issue. It is of a much higher quality than I was anticipating (and this, in fact, convinced me to take the plunge).

The superb DIY oil service guidance means this inaugural edition will become a long-lasting reference in shops and garages nation-wide. I was also really happy to see Matt's story for posterity, consolidated from the many NAM posts.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

agranger 03-04-2008 11:18 AM

Any news source with a photo of my car in it is top notch in my book (top of the track article... that's me driving the PW/PW/PW #86)!

Congratulations to Mark and the entire editorial/writing team of the new mag! Great stuff!

sil3ncer7 03-04-2008 12:39 PM

Is there any chance at getting this printed... like GRM, MC2, or The Roundel... Like a printed subscription?

Mark 03-04-2008 01:20 PM

At some point we may explore this but I want to get a track record and large enough membership base established before looking into it further. The reason I wanted to go with an online approach is that it allows us to keep the cost down to something manageable. I subscribe to a magazine that is delivered first as a PDF and then about 3 weeks later you get a printed copy. In order to get the printed copy the subscription is roughly 3 times the cost of the electronic version.

Its not out of the question but I want to see the program grow first before jumping into that option.

Mark

sil3ncer7 03-04-2008 01:47 PM

Sounds good, I am glad to see the number of Alliance members growing...

Great job!

PGT 03-04-2008 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 2076644)
At some point we may explore this

I just happened to be married to someone who works for a commercial magazine printer who just added a digital press for jobs just like this with a full PDF workflow. It's currently sitting idle (brand new, waiting for customers to catch up). :wink:

NashvilleMiniStan 03-04-2008 03:05 PM

Looks great. Will I have to be an alliance member to get it in the future? Currently out of work, plan on joining when I go back to work.
Love the Do It Yourself. More of those would be great.

Mark 03-04-2008 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by NashvilleMiniStan (Post 2076850)
Looks great. Will I have to be an alliance member to get it in the future? Currently out of work, plan on joining when I go back to work.
Love the Do It Yourself. More of those would be great.

I touch on this in the Alliance FAQs. In short the first two issues will be available to all. After that you'll have to be an Alliance member to download the issue.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark 03-04-2008 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by PGT (Post 2076760)
I just happened to be married to someone who works for a commercial magazine printer who just added a digital press for jobs just like this with a full PDF workflow. It's currently sitting idle (brand new, waiting for customers to catch up). :wink:

Any idea if they could handle shipping and if there are minimums they need to run?

PGT 03-04-2008 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 2076919)
Any idea if they could handle shipping and if there are minimums they need to run?

yes, soup to nuts, never has to touch your hands. with digital press printing, min. is one. :razz: that said, we'll see how they want to handle it...Nathan and I are chatting about it offline. We'll see what where it goes. :thumbsup:

Mark 03-04-2008 03:57 PM

If there is a cost effective means of offering this and we can do small runs with them handling packing and shipping I'm all ears.

Mark

PGT 03-04-2008 04:05 PM

with traditional print, there was a 10k minimum (and this is a company that caters to small batch magazines like trade rags, nonprofits, etc....most printers do 100k min). the nice thing about digital is that old paradigm goes away plus they have twice daily truck runs to the IAD USPS hub which is 2 miles away :)

Deviant 03-06-2008 06:43 PM

I'm loving Alliance Magazine, a hard copy may be nice but judging from my lack of shelf space for back issues of every other magazine I have, I'll stay digital. Whatever you do, please, please, please do not go to a different digital format. Ever since Winding Road went from .pdf format to whatever this new browser they use I haven't been able to view the magazine offline.

gnatster 03-06-2008 07:12 PM

Thats the point with Winding Road. Ever notice how the ads are served as you get to the page. often the ad is not the same when you view the same page multiple times.