what is the 7 day weather forcast for Winter Park??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Ladyvalea
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the 7 day weather forcast for Winter Park??

rain?? hot??

Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 AM
scribbledpaper
the land of far, far away
so far it's high 60's low 70's! It's looking great!

http://weather.weatherbug.com/CO/Win...ml?zcode=z6286

Old 08-07-2010, 01:04 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It's rarely hot at 9,000 ft, but the sun can feel pretty strong up there in the thinner air, so wear sunscreen!

It will be cool at night, in fact as soon as the sun dips below the horizon it will be noticably cooler, so bring enough extra stuff that you can "layer", then you'll be fine. It almost always rains for a short time in the afternoon, so an umbrella or light raincoat is a good idea unless you don't mind getting wet.

I would also bring whatever light jacket you wear when it gets down into the 40's, cause it may get that cool at night, and it certainly will be that cool on top of Mt. Evans at midnight....if you do that run.

Remember there's no humidity to speak of, so bring skin lotion and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.....

Old 08-07-2010, 01:15 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Winter Park http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USCO0412

Denver http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USCO0105

I've been using intellicast weather for years and it is about as good as any other site.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Ladyvalea
2nd Gear
Last time I was in Winter Park ...December 09 I suffered really bad altitude sickness...I was dizzy..my heart was racing at 2am while laying in bed ..I felt panicky...headache ..all I wanted to do is go home!! I think, the first day I got there, I did to much! like snowboarding and such...this time, I'm going to rest the first couple days.. If I get altitude sickness again, I'll never go back up a mountain !!!

Old 08-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Tater Tot
2nd Gear
Alright, I will consider myself the expert since I live and work in the mountains. My retail store is at Winter Park Resort. So here it goes, it might rain every afternoon which it has been the last week. But that is typical for this time of year. The days get into the low 70's and thats about it, you will have cool nights. But any of you who have been to Copper it's pretty close to the same. I would say alittle drier. As far as altitude, DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!!! Sometimes if you start to fill sick, take a couple of Rolaids or Tums, it does something to your metabilisum and helps within about 20 minutes. But if you start to cough up blood go home or to the nearest hospital, you have about 10 minutes to live. See everyone soon

Old 08-07-2010, 06:12 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Do the resorts usually keep emergency oxygen on hand for those who don't tolerate the altitude well?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Ladyvalea
2nd Gear
HUH? Blood?? anyone have extra Valium for my panic attack! due to lack of Oxygen!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Tater Tot
2nd Gear
They do have a on site clinic. It has the same hours as the mountain events probably 9-6. They will have emergency oxygen. Some of the sports shops here will sell canisters of oxygen that really help. There used alot in the winter, and I'm sure in the summer. Just go easy on the liquor. One glass of wine is three and one beer is equal to two. Getting a buzz is pretty easy at altitude be careful. The DUI's in the mountains of Colorado are 225% ABOVE the national avg.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
LadyValea, I don't know where you're coming from to the mountains, but I assume it's somewhere a lot lower than 9k ft, like me. You have the right idea, just take it easy the first day or so and don't try to hike or run up a mountain as soon as you get there.

If you're a smoker, it's extra important to take it easy.....

Now that I'm a little *ahem* older, I find the best thing to do is as little as possible, and lay off the alchohol for the first day - or at least ease into it.

If you're having problems, call the desk and see if they have oxygen. If not, just going down to Denver may relieve your symptoms.

Edit: Tatertot beat me to it! Thanks for the info on oxygen, my wife is a non-athlete smoker, so I need this info too!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Tater Tot
2nd Gear
No problem I'm here to help. Weather update today is cool and cloudy all morning so far, I suspect it will clear off later. I think, which can be scary the weather will turn drier later in the week. Driving in from Kansas City, watch those bags of potato chips, they expand with the altitude and explode in your car. It's the craziest and loudest damn thing ever. Have had it happen many times just going to Denver for the day and coming back up from Costco.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Ladyvalea
2nd Gear
Minidave and tatertot...I'm coming from Fort Worth Texas.. I'm not a smoker or drinker! and I've been goin to the gym doing cardio, to get ready for a Tresstle Mountain bike lesson at Winter Park ..thurs the 12th.. I will be at Winter Park on Tuesday..do you think one day of rest is good enough for the Mountain bike thing? And WHERE do they sell bottles of O2??? what store!! And Where is the CLINC location???? maybe I should have a small bottle on me with my camel pak while mountain biking??? Geesh, I hope I don't get sick!!! Last time...we took a plane from Texas to Denver and drove up to Winter Park and that same day, i went snowboarding and a couple hours later!! I was sicker than a Dog it lasted for about 3 days!!! maybe now, since I'm driving from Fort Worth it will be like base camp at Kansas, bases camp near Denver ??? maybe my body will get used to the alititude better??? Thanks

Old 08-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Tater Tot
2nd Gear
O.K....The clinic is at the base of the lifts so don't worry you won't have to go far if you need it. As far as adjusting to altitude it's just not that simple. It affects everyone different, every time. The biking you will huff and puff when your peddling up hill at spots but you will be fine on the down hill segments. You don't adjust to altitude in a day it takes weeks and months at the least. Just drink alot of water on the way up and when you get here. I would think twice about the beer thing on Wed. night and again on Sat. It's really hard for some but water is your friend. Not liquor or coffee or sodas. You will see most people that live in Colorado are in good shape, because if your not you have a hard time breathing. The bottles of O2 should be at Winter Park Sports, across from Starbucks. Drink water, water, water. Good luck drop into my store and say hi Silver Creek. Marc

Old 08-08-2010, 02:35 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I lived in Colorado Springs for a number of years and used to live about halfway up Cheyenne mountain. I used to bicycle all over the place and rode over most of the mountain passes - including Indpendence Pass! However, the operative word here is "used" - that was almost 30 years ago and now that I'm older and wiser, I use the car!

I'm mostly concerned for my wife, she didn't tolerate the altitude well the last time we were at Breckenridge (a lodge at 10K altitude) for a family gathering so we'll have to see how it goes, but knowing we can easily get some oxygen will help with her anxiety levels. She's only a 2 cigs a day smoker, but she's been doing it a loooooonnnnngggg time.....

Anyone want to hazard a guess how it will affect our 2 ten year old miniture Poodles? They're only about 12 lbs and they get walked regularly so at least they're not overweight.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Richard-EB
3rd Gear
Thus far, the weather has stuck around 75* with no rain during the day. Rain did come last night though.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Richard-EB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
I lived in Colorado Springs for a number of years and used to live about halfway up Cheyenne mountain. I used to bicycle all over the place and rode over most of the mountain passes - including Indpendence Pass! However, the operative word here is "used" - that was almost 30 years ago and now that I'm older and wiser, I use the car!

I'm mostly concerned for my wife, she didn't tolerate the altitude well the last time we were at Breckenridge (a lodge at 10K altitude) for a family gathering so we'll have to see how it goes, but knowing we can easily get some oxygen will help with her anxiety levels. She's only a 2 cigs a day smoker, but she's been doing it a loooooonnnnngggg time.....

Anyone want to hazard a guess how it will affect our 2 ten year old miniture Poodles? They're only about 12 lbs and they get walked regularly so at least they're not overweight.
Your dogs should be fine. Same with your wife. Please be sure that you drink at least 2 liters of water every day, maybe with a little Gatorade as well. Also keep your dog's water bowls full. Overall, you should be fine. If concerned, talk to your doctor about getting an inhaler for the altitude. I do believe they still prescribe these, but not 100% sure. We used to get these for high-altitude training in the Marines and they help open the lungs up.