MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

ATTN: 2nd-Gen Turbo Owners with Oil Catch Cans (OCC)

Old 06-05-2011, 05:48 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
ATTN: 2nd-Gen Turbo Owners with Oil Catch Cans (OCC)

Looking to speak / discuss / pick-the-brains of R55 / R56 / R57 turbo owners who've installed an oil catch can (OCC).
There's convincing arguements via NAM for both sides of the table concerning why you "need" one or not based on driving parameters and preventative maintenance.

I'm wanting to see and inspect right from first-person if possible.
Anyone have one in operation they are willing to walk through it and show what's such the 'big deal'?

- Erik

Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
So, ...looks like no one has one around here, huh?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 PM
old81
M6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought Seth and JonJon have them, could be wrong.

Don

Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 AM
BLU-BY-U
5th Gear
Check with N0mis too.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:06 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
I thought Seth and JonJon have them, could be wrong.
JohnJohn doesn't own one.

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
Check with N0mis too.
Paging him now... Thanks!

- Erik

Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Well, I picked one up from BSH; arriving sometime middle of July due to backordering.
Supposedly BSH Speed Shop doesn't have many OCC's in use in Colorado and they're interested in the amount condensation the environment produces.
Hooray... I just turned into a guinea-pig.

- Erik

Old 07-01-2011, 09:49 AM
BLU-BY-U
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bluefox280
Well, I picked one up from BSH; arriving sometime middle of July due to backordering.
Supposedly BSH Speed Shop doesn't have many OCC's in use in Colorado and they're interested in the amount condensation the environment produces.
Hooray... I just turned into a guinea-pig.

- Erik
If they are giving it to you for free or at a great discount, then it will be worth it, do they need a SC Guinea-pig?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:54 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
If they are giving it to you for free or at a great discount, then it will be worth it...
No, they aren't. But wasn't expecting such either.
However it will prove / disprove how much the N14 engine oil-vapor blow-by creates.

- Erik

Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 PM
old81
M6
I will be interested to see if you get any blow-by, might persuade me to get one. I like the forge stainless unit, but I have heard good things about the BSH.

I think Clint sells them too.

Will you have it on before MITM?

Don

Old 07-01-2011, 08:53 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Will you have it on before MITM?
Don, yes, hoping for such!

- Erik

Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 PM
BLU-BY-U
5th Gear
Saw this nice carbon fiber one at MINI Madness.
http://www.mini-madness.com/mini-coo...catch-can.aspx

Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM
tcowden
2nd Gear
Late to the party...but here's my $0.02...

I have been running a 42 Draft Designs catch can for about a year with very little collection of blow by oil.

In my opinion, based on my car's age and current tolerances, it's more eye candy than anything, but that may change as the engine ages.

YMMV

Cheers,
Tom

Old 07-02-2011, 01:59 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tcowden
In my opinion, based on my car's age and current tolerances, it's more eye candy than anything, but that may change as the engine ages.
Tom, what vehicle (and mods if any) do you have?

- Erik

Old 07-02-2011, 05:36 PM
tcowden
2nd Gear
Tom, what vehicle (and mods if any) do you have?

- Erik
I have a 2007 MCS with 42k miles. The only mods that might impact the OCC would be my NM intake and custom Alta tune.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 07-20-2011, 09:13 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Installed; ...finally. Follow-up and details to come.

- Erik

Old 07-23-2011, 04:48 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
"...pulling the oil vapor from your valvetrain..."

Background:
There's been heavy discussion on the N14's positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system and how it seriously influences the result of carbon build-up on the intake valves of the cylinder head. I wanted to systematically test and see if the amount of oil being pulled from the valve cover was based on engine design, or driver technique.

- Disclaimer -
As always, I am NOT responsible for the careless acts of others when using this DIY as a reference.
Basically all of you are smart enough not to stab yourself, the very important wiring, or the paint on your car.
Be careful and take any precautionary measures that you deem necessary for completing this task.

Supplies:
* BSH Spped Shop - Competition Oil Catch Can (#20201011) assembly kit
* BSH Speed Shop - Direct Dual Boost Tap (#20201102)
* locktite or hightemp RTV silicone

Review (Direct Dual Boost Tap):
Following the outlined details from BSH's website, I started with assembling the billet boost tap housing and fitted the O-rings and the block-off plug. To ensure the seal of the plug, I lightly smeared a layer of RTV silicone on the threads and then snugged it down. Currently at the time of installation, I wasn't planning to run a boost gauge, so I attempted to fit in both of the 1/8"NPT vacuum port plugs. With the billet housing anodized after being fabricated, I could not get the vacuum plugs to properly thread. So bad, that I had to locate a 1/8" thread tap and re-tap and clean the threads to accept the plugs. After cleaning, again I smeared on some RTV silicone and installed the plugs. Fitment of the housing into the passenger side PCV spout was spot on and double o-ring seal was excellent. However the retaining hardware clip needed a quick sanding after being lasered out of stainless; it had some sharp edges and splinters that needed to be removed for installation and fit + finish.

Ratings (out of 10 scale: 1-poor, 10-perfect / learning: 1-hard / 10-easy)

Installation Time: 7
* very simple to orient direction; however had to clean up threads on housing
Learning Experience: 8
* simple, effective - however, BSH should include comprehensive paper directions within the box
Performance: 10
* perfectly blocks off the passenger side PCV spout and with no blow-by
Bang-for-the-Buck: 6
* it's seems expensive for a lathed / milled piece of aluminum; but that's because I think some of the quality control checks were lacking. If everything was simple from right out the box, this would have seen a higher rating
Overall Rating: 8.5
* properly fits within the engine bay and appreciate the black finish to make it not standout

Review (Competition Oil Catch Can):
The can assembly was similar in terms of assembling the billet tap barbs that attach to the driver side PCV spout and the turbo inlet pipe; fit both with the proper o-rings. Similar to the boost tap, no directions were provided in the box, printed them off to have a "quick cheat sheet" near me if thing went south. After removing the OEM PCV tube from the engine, I inserted the adapter barbs. The driver spout adapter went in without a hitch; however the turbo inlet tube adapter needed some serious grunt to put in. The o-rings on the inlet tube adapter were a little to fat and the plastic inlet tube actually cut into the o-rings slicing a small tangental piece. The seal still held after inserting, but the adapter has a small loose-feeling 'wiggle' to it.

Now, my 2009 model has the available security system with the hood latch sensor mounted to the same mounting place as the catch can. Instead of mounting underneath the mounting tab or underneath the sensor (which would have improperly raised the sensor above the weather sealing), I made a replacement bracket out of 18 guage 304 stainless. Similar to the catch can and the OEM sensor bracket, I cleaned and painted the L-bracket and the new sensor bracket so that would not stand out in the engine bay.

Once the can was mounted, the plastic tab of the cowl didn't seem to happy about the excess weight. The can kind of 'flapped' around and made me hesitant to continue, as I thought surely a bump impact from the susension may crack this tab off, dropping the can. But I pressed on and installed the push lock tubing. I measured, aligned and cut the tubing to my desired lengths. After installing, the can flopping sensation went away; great! However, now my eyes were distracted by the white imprinted lettering on the hose. I removed the hoses from their connections and wiped them down with acetone; within seconds the white lettering was removed leaving just a clean tube. Re-installed and was content and the appearance.

Ratings (out of 10 scale: 1-poor, 10-perfect / learning: 1-hard / 10-easy)

Installation Time: 8
* BSH estimates an hour, I spent just under 45 mins.
Learning Experience: 7
* complete kit; great craftsmenship, but again BSH should include comprehensive paper directions within the box
Performance: 9
* after just a quick drive, I already saw oil collecting in the can
Bang-for-the-Buck: 8
* fit and finish of the can is higher than the boost tap assembly; love the wrinkle finish and the detail work
Overall Rating: 9
* the final result would pass by even the most picky of on-lookers; assuming you put in some elbow grease to clean up some loose ends.

Follow up with how-much oil is pulled will be recorded and posted by the end of summer.

- Erik

Last edited by bluefox280; 11-07-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM
basil49
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a believer now.

Same equipment as bluefox280 here: BSH catch-can and BSH Boost Port plug, but on an '07 R56S (N14 engine).
Installation of the can is on the passenger-side of the engine, because I have a DoS CAI now installed on the driver-side.
See https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...6-post502.html for photos.

I've been suctioning out 5-6 ounces of white oily gunky water every several-hundred-miles now.
Go buy the catch-can and the boost-port plug.

Last edited by basil49; 12-02-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 AM
KochDeutsch
2nd Gear
White oily? You might have a bigger problem on your hands.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The white oily substance is just water vapor and oil. It's pretty normal to get that sort of thing out of your crankcase. Water finds its way into your engine every time the air cleaner gulps, and as it gets run through the engine, it evaporates from the heat--but the vapor needs to go somewhere. As it condenses, it joins with the oil vapor and forms that lovely milky ick. And if you're in any kind of humid location, you will find more and more of this around.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KochDeutsch
White oily? You might have a bigger problem on your hands.
No, probably not [...and I see wandrur beat me to the punch]. It's pretty typical to see white stuff too in the OCC effluents due to the interesting combinations of oil and water in the mix.

There are several photos over in the BSH OCC Thread that will confirm it as a common occurrence.

Dan, glad it's paying off for you.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM
jorn
1st Gear
I'm go out on a limb here and ask....

Can somebody talk to me like I'm a 5-year-old and tell me why I want a catch can, please? Thanks!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jorn
Can somebody talk to me like I'm a 5-year-old and tell me why I want a catch can, please?
Simply put, the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) is designed to remove unburned hydrocarbons from above the cylinder head. The two ports (driver side and passenger side [closes during boost]) suck out the air from the valve cover that has oil vapor. With the passenger PCV plug and blocked, the evacuated air from the valve cover is directed through the catch can where the air is cooled to condense and fluid vapor. After leaving the catch can, the air is sucked into the inlet side of the turbocharger.

Since the turbo'ed "S"-model engines are direct injected, there's no fuel washdown on the backside of the valves in the cylinder head. As a result, the valves can have significant carbon build-up due to the oil vapor being baked on the valve. Many have documented that adding a catch has reduced the amount of carbon coking on the valves.

- Erik

Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
KochDeutsch
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wandrur
The white oily substance is just water vapor and oil. It's pretty normal to get that sort of thing out of your crankcase. Water finds its way into your engine every time the air cleaner gulps, and as it gets run through the engine, it evaporates from the heat--but the vapor needs to go somewhere. As it condenses, it joins with the oil vapor and forms that lovely milky ick. And if you're in any kind of humid location, you will find more and more of this around.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 PM
E30M3
1st Gear
Since the turbo'ed "S"-model engines are direct injected, there's no fuel washdown on the backside of the valves in the cylinder head. As a result, the valves can have significant carbon build-up due to the oil vapor being baked on the valve. Many have documented that adding a catch has reduced the amount of carbon coking on the valves.

- Erik
My old remedy for this was to run the clubman uphill on the A60 at 140mph, but I guess I can't do that any longer.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Elwood09
2nd Gear
Simply put, the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) is designed to remove unburned hydrocarbons from above the cylinder head. The two ports (driver side and passenger side [closes during boost]) suck out the air from the valve cover that has oil vapor. With the passenger PCV plug and blocked, the evacuated air from the valve cover is directed through the catch can where the air is cooled to condense and fluid vapor. After leaving the catch can, the air is sucked into the inlet side of the turbocharger.

- Erik
This is a great answer!! Thanks for taking the time!

Woody

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATTN: 2nd-Gen Turbo Owners with Oil Catch Cans (OCC)