MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

HELP: Tune Near Denver CO

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Michael Lewis
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: Tune Near Denver CO

Hey I was wondering if any of the 5280 guys out here have a good source for a healthy reliable custom tune they'd like to share with me. One of my buddies said I should talk to a guy named Tobz, but he deals primarily with turbocharged Evo's and is beginning to dabble with the r56, so I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me or where ya'll have gotten tunes done around here.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:36 PM
old81
M6
For tuning the R53 in Denver, not many active folks.

You can get a canned tune from RMW with his R53 flash tool.

WMW does tuning for the R53/R56 when he is up at MITM, if you can wait until August.

Only local guy is Tobz, he is currently helping one of the local guys tune, perhaps DicksGarage will chime in here this evening.

Good luck.
Don

I suggest send a note to Wayland (WMW) or Jan, perhaps even Clint at Defenders of Speed. They may know of a local.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like I am a day late and a dollar short.

TOBZ, is a great tuner when it comes to EVO's and STi's, we are just geting into tuning R53 MINI's (SORRY R56 guys the software needs to be relesed first) As expected we have been running into some problems geting the ECU of the car to make the car do what we want it to do. It's just part of learning the software and how the car behaves to changes in the computer.
Our test car (My personal car) is down due to a S/C failure, so it will be a while before we can dig any deeper into the ECU to get more power.
As Don said remote tunes are always an option that works. If you need to use a dyno for the logs you need to send to the remote tuner, TOBZ will slap it up on his MUSTANG dyno for about $75.00. This will also help us start a database of dyno graphs from different cars, so we can see how much differently they run, and what we need to change.
TOBZ does not have the capability to tune any MINI but mine right now, the BYTETRONIK S/W that we are using is coded to my cars VIN#, and will not work on others cars. Unless you buy the S/W through MYNES, or WAY MOTOR WORKS you will be limmited to dyno testing only. If you decide to go this route and purchace the BYTETRONIK S/W, I can help to some extent but TOBZ is the guy who actually does the main part of the tune, and sets his prices.

Hope this helps, any questions post them up, if I dont know the answer, I WILL FIND IT.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:11 PM
BLU-BY-U
5th Gear
BTW at last years MITM WMW said he had a canned Tune that gives good power that if you send him your ECU, he can tune it. He captured my car last year, so he can do it from that too.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 PM
n0mis
2nd Gear
Is Jan coming out to Denver anytime soon?
Thanks,
Jorge
DS 07 MCS

Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Call and ask him? The number is on the website, so is his email address.
I have been trying to get Mike and Jay to come out, but with all the new stuff they are testing and building, they cant make it.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 PM
n0mis
2nd Gear
Ya I think I will. Its bee a while since his been out to Denver?
Jorge

Old 04-08-2011, 09:05 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Keep us posted on if he can make it, I might be able to arrange for a shop and dyno for anyone interested. If he can come out ot Denver I might need to crap out this last $1500.00 bones for the new charger pretty quick.

Ah Jan tuning with MYNES S/W, the irony of it makes me giggle.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:46 AM
BLU-BY-U
5th Gear
FYI, just saw a post that Jan of RMW was in Rochester NY yesterday 4/8.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3257087

Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Count me in as a definite if you need a head count to get Jan to fly out here. I'll just need a reasonable heads up when so I can go ahead and get parts in and install them before the tune.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:08 PM
old81
M6
tunes before it gets hot hot hot

Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Keep us posted on if he can make it, I might be able to arrange for a shop and dyno for anyone interested. If he can come out ot Denver I might need to crap out this last $1500.00 bones for the new charger pretty quick.

Ah Jan tuning with MYNES S/W, the irony of it makes me giggle.
Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
FYI, just saw a post that Jan of RMW was in Rochester NY yesterday 4/8.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3257087
Originally Posted by Evasive
Count me in as a definite if you need a head count to get Jan to fly out here. I'll just need a reasonable heads up when so I can go ahead and get parts in and install them before the tune.
As I set up the last 2 dyno and tune sessions, yes if we want Jan we need a definitive head count with no back-outs.

Jan travels with his own software and flash tools, if people pre-order his flash units. R53, R56 and R56 Alta Cobb/Access Ports are available.

@Jorge, let me know if you connect up with Jan. I can do some dialog, but I prefer not to be the organizer of this tune.

We could use Parker or up at TOBZ, might be good to get Jan involved at an alternate shop in the greater FrontRange.

Any good solid/accurate dynos in the Springs?

Take care,
Don

Old 04-09-2011, 03:04 PM
n0mis
2nd Gear
Guys,
I did send Jan from RMW an email asking if he was going to be in Denver anytime soon.
Thanks,
Jorge
DS 07 MCS

Old 04-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get enough people and I will gladly fly out

Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
How many do you need Jan? It looks like I might be the one organizing this thing.

Would anybody have a problem using a low reading MUSTANG dyno? The #'s will be about 10% lower than MAC's DYNOJET.

Another question for you Jan, would you mind tuning my car using the BYTETRONIK S/W, and teaching TOBZ a little more about how to set the TOURQE LIMMITERS / REQUESTED TORQUE maps, this is where we are having the most problems.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many do you need Jan? It looks like I might be the one organizing this thing.

Would anybody have a problem using a low reading MUSTANG dyno? The #'s will be about 10% lower than MAC's DYNOJET.

Another question for you Jan, would you mind tuning my car using the BYTETRONIK S/W, and teaching TOBZ a little more about how to set the TOURQE LIMMITERS / REQUESTED TORQUE maps, this is where we are having the most problems.
Mean this in not a bad way, but.... Did you fall down and strike your head and a hard object? Do you understand how business works?

Why would Jan use and teach someone else how to use a competitors tuning tool and then teach him his tuning secrets so that he then can tune Minis himself? To start with, the intellectual value would not be even close to free. And secondly if that tool is so good, why doesn't the maker know how to use it?

So much for full access ....ROFLMAO

Old 04-10-2011, 11:27 AM
old81
M6
@minimarks, comments in the 5280 area which incite vendor wars are not welcome.

Please take your comments elsewhere.

I understand your comment, they are not welcome in the 5280 club forum area.

Thank you,
Don Suiter
MINI5280

Last edited by old81; 04-10-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: comment to my comment
Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don
His point is valid none the less
The delivery might not have been kosher but the gist of the message is

Old 04-10-2011, 11:39 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
MINIMARKS, first off the FULLACCESS S/W is an amasing tool for the people who want to learn to tune their own car. It is NOT the S/W's fault that TOBZ and I are having a few problems geting the tune nailed down, and MYNES does know exactly how to use it, and what to adjust. However Mike and Jason can not make it out right now to give a more in depth tutorial on what needs to be done. I am not asking Jan to give away any secrets, just to give a few pointers, and TOBZ can set the tune on my car to prevent any of Jans secret maps from geting out. ALL the other cars that need tuned will recive Jans standard DIMSPORT TUNE.

And to answer your first question, YES MY HEAD HAS TAKEN QUITE THE POUNDING OVER THE YEARS, I have the scars to prove it.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 AM
old81
M6
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
Don
His point is valid none the less
The delivery might not have been kosher but the gist of the message is
Agreed, valid point, poor delivery, we can go forward from here.

MINIMARKS, first off the FULLACCESS S/W is an amasing tool for the people who want to learn to tune their own car. It is NOT the S/W's fault that TOBZ and I are having a few problems geting the tune nailed down, and MYNES does know exactly how to use it, and what to adjust. However Mike and Jason can not make it out right now to give a more in depth tutorial on what needs to be done. I am not asking Jan to give away any secrets, just to give a few pointers, and TOBZ can set the tune on my car to prevent any of Jans secret maps from geting out. ALL the other cars that need tuned will recive Jans standard DIMSPORT TUNE.

And to answer your first question, YES MY HEAD HAS TAKEN QUITE THE POUNDING OVER THE YEARS, I have the scars to prove it.
Which I need to ask, is your MCS terminal until you find the alternate SC or a rebuilt unit?

Stop getting sent off to Iraq and Afghanistan and you would not come back so many bumps and scars. I hope your done with that for a bit.

@Jan, you still doing Dimsport or Cobb/Alta AP as well.

I will probably need a new baseline and re-tune, since I will be having the 07s ECU flashed in May by MINI. I will send you a PM/email

@ Jan, Now about how many folks for a tune in Denver. Are you still good with 8 MINIs to get you out here?

Don

Old 04-10-2011, 12:44 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Yes Don my car is still down until I can dig up another $1500.00. Now where exactly did I put that pickle jar full of cash in the yard?

No more middle east tours for me unless I can find a job as a private contractor, then I could have a LOTUS to play with too.

JAN, ilke I said above YOU dont even have to do the tuning on my car, so your secrets are safe. MINIMARKS does bring up a good arguement, but I am just asking for some pointers nothing that will compromise your business out here.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:59 PM
michaelsuoo
3rd Gear
Re-tune

Mine need a re-tune as well since I will have the ECU flashed next Monday to upgrade the window auto up software. Let me know the details... Count me in... sure hope we will get discount for a retune....

Originally Posted by old81

I will probably need a new baseline and re-tune, since I will be having the 07s ECU flashed in May by MINI. I will send you a PM/email

Don

Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 PM
n0mis
2nd Gear
Count me in. I have 47,000+ miles on my mini and have not had a tune yet, only a Dyno test. 208 power, 236 torque.
Jorge
DS 07 MCS

Old 04-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Fred's S Works
1st Gear
I'd be interested too. How much $$? Would we get a baseline dyno and post tune dyno? Thanks
Freds S works
2003 R53 JCW

Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Michael Lewis
2nd Gear
Count me in for sure! Ha I really sparked a little flame here with this thread huh? If Jan is coming out, I'm a definite yes for a tune

Old 04-11-2011, 02:15 PM
old81
M6
OK, who is on first? DG or Jorge, did you get any more information from Jan.

I can dialog, but I don't know if I will be around to do all the co-ordination, unless we have this before June 1.

Cooler weather is better for a tune session.

Don

Quick Reply: HELP: Tune Near Denver CO