North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   MINI5280 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/mini5280-74/)
-   -   Camshaft Locking Tool? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/mini5280/190622-camshaft-locking-tool.html)

cpayne 06-08-2010 10:30 AM

Camshaft Locking Tool?

Anyone have a camshaft locking tool in the area that I could borrow? Also seeking input on anyone with experience on installing cam on R53 MCS

Camshaft Locking Tool # 11 8 250

Cheers

Cody

miniconcarne 06-09-2010 04:14 PM

"Hippie" is the only member I know who has done this himself. He will have the info you need.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...84-hippie.html

Hippie 06-15-2010 06:51 AM

Yep - been there done that - love it :razz:

No tool needed. mark the cam gear & chain to make sure it does not jump a tooth on you, place the car in sixth gear with the clutch out & have someone hold their foot on the brake while lossening and tightening the bolt. Also make sure you have a wobble extension for the chain tensioner cover.

Cody - PM me if you have more questions:thumbsup:

Hippie 08-28-2010 10:19 PM

Cody - Did you ever do the cam ?

cpayne 08-29-2010 11:29 AM

Hey Hippie...no not yet. Havent been brave enough to do it myself yet and too cheap to pay someone to do it for me ;)

You work for beer? LOL

Barrettrw11 08-29-2010 12:20 PM

Seriously though it isn't difficult. I was also afraid to do it and didn't want to spend the money for someone else to do it. I was able to do it without the tool and used Hippie's method. I also zip tied the chain to the sprocket. Just for a word of caution if you do it yourself, Don't install the rails upside down when reinstalling it.... I learned the hard way.

Hippie 09-05-2010 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by cpayne (Post 3120631)
Hey Hippie...no not yet. Havent been brave enough to do it myself yet and too cheap to pay someone to do it for me ;)

You work for beer? LOL

I'd be willing to help :thumbsup: - it really is easy and you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner :wink: and yes the beer would be FatTire :thumbsup:

cpayne 09-08-2010 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hippie (Post 3124988)
I'd be willing to help :thumbsup: - it really is easy and you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner :wink: and yes the beer would be FatTire :thumbsup:

Awesome thank you...how do I get a hold of you? Your email at comcast.net bounced.

Email:
"Hey Cody here regarding that MCS Cam Install. Say thanks for your offer to help install it. I know I am probably a whoosie for not doing it myself but always prefer to work w/ someone on it the 1st time...LOL

What part of the Denver area are you located? How long do you estimate it would take to install? I would have to schedule with my Wife on this one w/ the 2 kids at home.

Thanks!

Cody

PS- You bet on Fat Tire."

Hippie 09-09-2010 06:47 PM

PM sent. sorry never updated my profile to the new email :razz:

Hippie 09-17-2010 03:02 PM

Cody- check your PM,s :wink: . If anyone knows Cody and can get ahold of him tell him to check in. I have time this weekend, sent a PM but it is short notice so hoping we can set it up. I want to see the smile on his face after his first run through the S Turkey Creek canyon after we do the install:lol: :lol: :lol:

CRoth 09-17-2010 03:54 PM

I see that you're getting help but here's a small thing to remember. Be very careful when reinstalling the rocker arms, especially the intake side because they're harder to keep aligned. The valve lashing caps are made of plastic and are brittle like egg shells. If you crack them they will need to be repaired before installation. They are only sold together with a new rocker arm @ $50 each. A cracked one can be repaired with plastic weld. I've been through this before, the hard way!

The job is very easy, just take your time.

cpayne 09-17-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hippie (Post 3132513)
Cody- check your PM,s :wink: . If anyone knows Cody and can get ahold of him tell him to check in. I have time this weekend, sent a PM but it is short notice so hoping we can set it up. I want to see the smile on his face after his first run through the S Turkey Creek canyon after we do the install:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sending email now

Cheers

cp

Hippie 09-17-2010 07:48 PM

Cody - see you Sunday - any one else that wants to come hang and help, pm me, - Cody gets to chase me up the canyon :eek2: :lol: good luck Cody you need it chasing me up the canyon :razz: :grin:

Hippie 09-17-2010 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by CRoth (Post 3132545)
The job is very easy, just take your time.

tly

Exactly :thumbsup:

cpayne 09-18-2010 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hippie (Post 3132669)
Cody - see you Sunday - any one else that wants to come hang and help, pm me, - Cody gets to chase me up the canyon :eek2: :lol: good luck Cody you need it chasing me up the canyon :razz: :grin:

Yup I will need it alright. Between 80 lbs of tools, a 5 year old, a bike, 12 pack of beer and the kitchen sink...LOL

See ya around 10. Hope T-Mobile works in "Der Dem Hillz" :)

Cheers

cp

cpayne 09-19-2010 06:51 PM

A HUGE Thank You to Jeff for helping install my RMW Street Cam today up at his place. He was such a great host to both me and my 5 year old son who tagged along. There were a critical times that I can definitely see having a hand was very useful. The cam is something you can for sure feel in the mid-range powerband! Just what the Mini needs some more torque and I love it!

Thank You again Jeff!

Cheers

Cody & Nolan

cpayne 09-22-2010 07:57 PM

Did I mention I LOVE this new street cam?! Holy smokes the new torque curve is just lovely!