North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   MINI Parts for Sale (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/mini-parts-for-sale-387/)
-   -   FS:: Beware seller Gary Cooper Illinois (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/mini-parts-for-sale/338738-beware-seller-gary-cooper-illinois.html)

E34M5 05-08-2019 11:05 PM

Beware seller Gary Cooper Illinois

Beware this seller on Craigslist, he sold me a "JCW Turbo" that turned out to be a Cooper S turbo. Didn't notice the turbo housing where the wastegate controller mounts was damaged in shipping until after I installed it and drove it, noticed boost was not working correctly. When I removed it for repair I checked the part number and found out it was a S turbo, not a JCW turbo. Wanted to return it back to the seller he wouldn't take it. Don't let this guy scam you, I got burned for $370.00

cloverasx 05-09-2019 09:25 AM

Thanks for the warning - I live in Indiana and occasionally check within a couple hundred miles when I'm looking for parts.

5310mini 05-09-2019 10:14 AM

Seller Gary Cooper. That should have told you something and the price is unbelievably low for a "JWC turbo" .

Also using a payment method like 'Paypal' could have offered you some resource. I was working with a seller that wanted me to send him payment via 'Paypal gift' which I declined and walked.

Yes, buyer beware. We all need to be careful.

E34M5 05-09-2019 08:10 PM

paypal was absolutely no help, buyer protection is bs. provided photos part numbers etc still sided with buyer. what a joke. paypal is a total scam

E34M5 05-09-2019 08:10 PM

scumball lives in ogden

LostbutFound 05-09-2019 09:27 PM

PayPal got my money back. I was impressed.

KCLARK 05-12-2019 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by LostbutFound (Post 4468732)
PayPal got my money back. I was impressed.

They usually do, just takes a while. they got me back $1700 for a racebike engine and froze they guys account. I gave proof of the return to paypal but in the meantime paypal froze the guys account I bought it from, plus I did signature required for delivery and got an email on delivery/acceptance. Once I sent that, boom, GOT ALL MY $1700 back the next day! With paypal you have to go thru the motions and they actually are very helpful. Main key is to be conscious of how you send your money, The key element to have proper paypal coverage is how you code your money transfer. I never do friends and family type transfer (which I see a lot of folks doing) because that is like CashApp and literally giving your money away (with full trust in the seller). This is best used for IN PERSON ONLY sales transactions.
If the seller wont take the money via services & goods method then no dice on the sale, simply put. I see Sellers do this buyer pays the fees mess as if its to be separate when they should be setting the sale amount to cover it in the first place so the total amount transferred covers the item purchased, the fees, and shipping all in one price. You do that transfer for the amount the proper way, BOTH sides will be covered properly, as paypal has their hands on both your account and the sellers should anything go wrong. PayPal is NOT a scam, just have to be knowledgeable on how to use it.

Bnourai 05-12-2019 05:20 AM

+1000000000000.
Ben

E34M5 05-12-2019 05:29 PM

Sent them pictures of part, along with pictures of serial numbers of part, attached links to show part # was cooper s turbo, not jcw turbo and still sided with buyer, don't know what else I could have done? suggestions?

KCLARK 05-13-2019 05:06 AM

*** read this very carefully ***

Originally Posted by E34M5 (Post 4468725)
paypal was absolutely no help, buyer protection is bs. provided photos part numbers etc still sided with buyer. what a joke. paypal is a total scam

Ok here, you never mention HOW you did the PayPal transfer of funds because it makes a difference in how you're protected. Only reason I know this is from many many many stock motorcycle racebike conversions through buying race parts and even selling parts myself. All it takes is to be burned ONCE to learn the proper transaction methods to use! You also state you provided part numbers to PayPal but WHICH PART NUMBER (p/n you "thought" the seller was selling or p/n the seller actually sold you)? The ERROR HERE is not verifying which part number was being sold PRIOR to sending the money to ensure you were getting the right one, because sometimes sellers aren't even knowledgeable on parts their selling themselves. Then there are some potential crooks out that will try catch you sleeping and not paying attention by offering a close sounding description of the item without really revealing what the true part is. So verification through pictures with date stamp is reassurance if you can obtain it ,but that's a check the buyer has to be conscious of doing for their own sake.

Originally Posted by 5310mini (Post 4468613)
Seller Gary Cooper. That should have told you something and the price is unbelievably low for a "JWC turbo" .
Also using a payment method like 'Paypal' could have offered you some resource. I was working with a seller that wanted me to send him payment via 'Paypal gift' which I declined and walked. Yes, buyer beware. We all need to be careful.

PERFECT POINT HERE goes with the slogan "if its too good to be true, it probably isn't".
This another issue, for the life of me I cant figure out why folks JUMP on something priced so cheaply that their so anxious to grab a deal, it eliminates their thought process of checking something out thoroughly. Im not saying you did this, but it does happen. Me personally have never seen a JCW turbo priced that low myself, and just on price alone, I would've automatically assumed it was a "S" turbo because all the JCW turbo sales that ive seen were in the $550 - $750 range. Familiarizing one's self with selling amounts is actually an easy thing to do since this forum keeps all the posts visible of past turbo sales. Checking turbo sales marked SOLD would help you gather an estimated fair price of what folks are spending on JCW turbos. SO I HAVE TO ASK, WAS THIS DONE and did the question come to mind of how low the price was to cause question?

Originally Posted by E34M5 (Post 4468522)
Beware this seller on Craigslist, he sold me a "JCW Turbo" that turned out to be a Cooper S turbo. Didn't notice the turbo housing where the wastegate controller mounts was damaged in shipping until after I installed it and drove it, noticed boost was not working correctly. When I removed it for repair I checked the part number and found out it was a S turbo, not a JCW turbo. Wanted to return it back to the seller he wouldn't take it. Don't let this guy scam you, I got burned for $370.00

How many pictures did you obtain and what questions were asked, because some additional pre-knowledge thru asking the right questions COULD'VE caused hesitation on the buy based from the sellers answers. Like: what car was it from, obtaining the previous car's VIN, asking for a pic of the turbo's P/N, asking a general question about boost, and something simple like why you selling? USUALLY a good seller will go the extra mile to provide answers to all your questions and will be able to back it up quick and easily. All it takes is for me to catch you telling ONE thing that doesn't make sense, or if they don't provide something I'm asking for, IM OUTTA THERE! Half the time they want that item sold just as bad as you want to buy it (its money on the table they want) and nothing wrong with making a selling prove their honesty. Buyers are actually more in control than they think because you can back out of a sale at anytime just so long you haven't paid, and that becomes the sellers loss that they didn't pull the sale off.

Originally Posted by E34M5 (Post 4469201)
Sent them pictures of part, along with pictures of serial numbers of part, attached links to show part # was cooper s turbo, not jcw turbo and still sided with buyer, don't know what else I could have done? suggestions?

Main point I want to make here is HOW did you do the transfer of funds because on PayPal they have differences in what is covered protection by them vs what isn't.
Check this out and read where your transaction falls

Minnie.the.Moocher 05-13-2019 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by E34M5 (Post 4469201)

I think you mean sided with seller. Would be interesting to know what the seller provided them to defend his side of the transaction. I wonder if he stated that you should have returned it before installation. Once you installed it he might have claimed you damaged it installing, etc.

I'm not saying I agree with Paypal, but I can see that they probably don't see it as clearcut and they probably don't have a team of auto parts experts to decipher the finer points.

E34M5 05-13-2019 09:26 PM

I called paypal today and talked to a service person there and have the claim under appeal, and had them add notes to the file. transfer was done as purchase of goods, so it should be fully covered by their policy. Have to wait and see. Its not very fair that you cant see what the seller has submitted as evidence.

KCLARK 05-14-2019 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by E34M5 (Post 4469491)
I called paypal today and talked to a service person there and have the claim under appeal, and had them add notes to the file. transfer was done as purchase of goods, so it should be fully covered by their policy. Have to wait and see. Its not very fair that you cant see what the seller has submitted as evidence.

If you did the transfer of funds just as you said and NOT thru family and friends, AND have sent him the part back (with proof) you should get your money back.
Just have to wait because Paypal investigators take a while, plus they like to give the seller time to make things good. I know were talking $370 with your sale but got shafted out of $1700 on a race engine that never showed up. Thing is this dude was from Houston and I was in Md. So it wasn't like I go out there and pay him a visit and show my ass, so I technically was at the mercy of hoping that Paypal would make me whole. Eventually they put some kind of hold on the seller where they locked his account with the $1700 grabbed (like it said pending refund on my end) but they forced him to produce a shipping label thru them with mandatory signature (from me) by a certain date. I think they gave the guy something like damn near 20 days after my complaint to send me the engine, needless to say he never shipped it. And on the 21st day, I got all my $1700 back!

Be sure to comeback and give us all an update cuz id like to know how this turns out.

Bnourai 05-14-2019 04:34 AM

I too have a dispute with PP, ordered some goods that have not been sent over a month.they are taking action but God bless June 2nd before I know how it goes, buyer protection will take a long time.in this case seller is not responding to me nor PayPal.
Ben

E34M5 05-17-2019 06:21 PM

Goods not sent you should be ok. I appealed my case, they still sided with seller, going to give them another call. I have provided pictures of parts, part numbers, web sites etc. still sided with buyer total bs

Bnourai 05-17-2019 07:44 PM

That sire is BS.

TVPostSound 05-17-2019 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by E34M5 (Post 4470368)
Goods not sent you should be ok. I appealed my case, they still sided with seller, going to give them another call. I have provided pictures of parts, part numbers, web sites etc. still sided with buyer total bs

Sided with seller or sided with buyer?
You're not making sense.

Bnourai 05-19-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by TVPostSound (Post 4470398)
Sided with seller or sided with buyer?
You're not making sense.

He said the guy who sold him the turbo (the seller)

E34M5 05-19-2019 06:14 PM

They sided with the seller even though the turbo he sent me was a cooper s turbo, not a JCW turbo that he advertised it as. I provided pictures, part numbers web sites etc. showing the turbo he sent me was not a JCW, they still sided with seller, total BS. I am going to avoid paypal at all costs from now on.