MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas (M2C2) The MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas forum. Visit our club site at www.m2c2.org

March 5th : Auto-X School at Knights Castle - THEN - Dinner at di Beppos!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Coopernicus
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March 5th : Auto-X School at Knights Castle - THEN - Dinner at di Beppos!

Hello M2C2'er's. **This is my first post on NAM!

I am a prospective MINI buyer, potential M2C2 member and avid autocrosser with the Central Carolinas Region of the SCCA. I met some of you a few Saturdays ago at Hendrick Mini, including George and Debi - Hi again guys! I really appreciate the time you took answering questions for me that day, and the obvious enthusiasm you all share for these cool little cars!

Anyway, I wanted to refer you to an existing post here on your board that has all the details about the Autocross School on Mar. 5th at Knights Castle in nearby Fort Mill and the associated autocross event the next day.

Since you already have a club dinner scheduled that evening VERY close by at Buca di Beppo's around 4PM, you might want to
Make a complete MINI Motoring day of it
!

I guarantee this will be a great time to dust off the racing helmet, have a blast and learn how to safely get more from your own driving skills and your MINI. Then, you can sit back with friends that evening, have a great dinner and tell everyone how much FASTER you are now!!!

More then likely, I will be instructing at the school in my Porsche Boxster S unless the weather is really bad (Porsche convertibles don't appreciate 'top-down' racing in the rain, ya know...). I would be happy to posse-up with the Mini crowd and give you some special attention, tech tips, etc. But really, ALL of the instructors at our schools are highly-skilled and experienced drivers, and are excellent resources if you bring an open mind.

If you would like to attend, PLEASE read the information in the following link about arrival times, what to bring, directions to the facility, etc. Click on March 5th: Novice School (Knights). You can even sign up and pre-pay for the event online.

Feel free to send me a PM or post a reply on this thread if you have any questions.

Hope to see you there!!

Regards,
Robert H.

Old 02-27-2005, 04:35 PM
debiw
3rd Gear
Hi Robert H,

I like your choice for a message board name This is a very good idea. We need to get some activity going at the local autocrosses. Thank you for offering your expertise.

I hope you'll join us for dinner.

Cheers,
Debi

Old 03-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Hokie-Mini-S
2nd Gear
Looks like fun!

I have been wanting to try out some autocrossing and this looks like a great first opportunity.

I am not sure if I will have time to spend the whole day on Saturday. I am getting married in April and the fiancee might not let me out for whole day!

How important is the novice instruction or can we just show up on Sunday instead? How long does the regular event last on Sunday?

Also it looks like you can rent/borrow some helmets from the club? I hope they have some large/XL size ones for my huge mellon.

I guess the fastest car would be my stock MCS but I also have an older 98 Audi A4 quattro MT5 with a 2.8 liter engine. Not as fast as mini and about 3400 lbs. instead of the lightweight 2600 lbs. Mini. Any ideas on which to use for the racing?

Old 03-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Coopernicus
3rd Gear
Hi there Hokie-

Wow - You're getting married in April, and she already owns your "Saturdays" ... She must be special!

- Even if you can't come out on Saturday, then certainly show up Sunday. However, I HIGHLY recommend getting into a proper driving school as soon as possible. The biggest problem you will face without some up-front guidance will be the lack of direction for the 'basics' - how to sit & belt in properly, how to look ahead as you drive, what tire pressures to use, WHERE DOES THE COURSE GO?? , etc, etc. Alot of that stuff is covered in the classroom portion of the school so you don't waste time and effort during the driving portion of the event. You really want to concentrate only on DRIVING when it is your turn (you typically don't get many shots at the course per day, so don't waste any!).

- Typical regional SCCA events run from about 8:30AM-4PM, sometimes ending earlier.

- You CAN borrow a helmet from the club, but the 'cranially-challenged' may have a problem finding many loaner helmets that fit without distortion . Also, the club does not own enough helmets for everybody to keep one with them for the entire school, as we can have as many as 60-75 students if the weather is nice. So - you gotta share, by returning the helmet after your runs. Moral of the story - if you intend to do this more then once, invest in a good quality, good-fitting helmet (we can give you the required specs at the event).

- Hmmm ... stock MCS vs. 98 Audi A4 2.8L quattro?? ... 2600 lbs. vs. 3400 lbs?? ...
... NO contest --->>> bring the Mini ... Nuf said.

I hope that helps, and that she lets you come out to play! :smile:

Later,
Robert