Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

Project: Grumpy. Saving a 2003 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:55 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper48
These are the same wheels that came on my MC40. I do have a spare wheel that is in decent shape. The center is really good but I've sanded down the rim to eliminate some curb rash. If you're having the wheels refinished (they'll machine the rims smooth), it would be a good one with which to start (and it's not cracked). I'll part with it for $75 plus shipping cost if you're interested. I'm also running 215s with stock suspension and they're fine with no clearance issues.
I think the MC40 is the Anthracite version of the wheel so it may not match. But you could take it apart and replace the barrel. I have the BBS tool to remove all the screws if you want to borrow it.

Also I may have an extra front emblem if you still need it, I notice yours was missing in the photos.

c0op3r

Old 03-25-2019, 03:04 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Received 175 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by co0p3r
I think the MC40 is the Anthracite version of the wheel so it may not match. But you could take it apart and replace the barrel. I have the BBS tool to remove all the screws if you want to borrow it.

Also I may have an extra front emblem if you still need it, I notice yours was missing in the photos.

c0op3r
The wheel he has does have the silver face. The plan is to disassemble the wheels for refinishing at some point anyways. Thanks for the offer on the tool, but it's a standard m8 triple square, I have a couple of them around. I do need to look up the torque spec on those bolts, though. Thinking of going with black on the wheel centers. Having the damaged wheel gives me something to practice on and hone my process. More for getting the lips back to a nice finish than the faces.

We do still need a front emblem. It's something I've been eyeing on eBay, but hasn't been a priority. Do they use the little plastic inserts in the panel like the BMW emblems? I think I have some around, if so.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:45 AM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Yjsaabman

We do still need a front emblem. It's something I've been eyeing on eBay, but hasn't been a priority. Do they use the little plastic inserts in the panel like the BMW emblems? I think I have some around, if so.
Nope just double stick foam tape, let me find it and I will PM to get it off to you.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:54 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Nope just double stick foam tape, let me find it and I will PM to get it off to you.
Thanks!

So she called me on her way to work and thanked me for removing the offensive tint. She noticed it was gone when she put the window down and didn't hear the flapping noise. Not when she opened the door to put her things in the car this morning. Lol!

Old 03-28-2019, 08:00 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
I found that Badge for you please provate msg me so i can get some info to send it to you.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:20 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
I found that Badge for you please provate msg me so i can get some info to send it to you.
Awesome, thanks! 👍👍

Old 03-30-2019, 07:00 PM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Ordered a matching tire for the BBS wheels, so that's progress. Also have some fresh NGK plugs coming ole Grumpy to try and fix that bog at lower RPMs.

Speaking of lower RPMs, I'm still adjusting to this car. It's very different from my BMW, or the VWs we've had before this. It's really kind of Honda like in its engine behavior. What I mean by that is less torque, more RPM. I find myself under-revving when pulling away on a hill because the low end grunt isn't quite up to what I've become used to. I almost stalled it today on hill because of this. The other thing that lower torque gives is less sense of acceleration, which can get you in trouble! Don't get me wrong, this thing definitely accelerates quite well, but without the sensation you get from a torquier vehicle you don't necessarily realize how fast your going! It's perfectly easy to wind out the first three gears, shift to 4th, and suddenly realize you hit 80+ mph before you knew it! Not saying it's bad, just citing something different about it from what I've become accustomed to.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Well, lesson learned, check more than one spark plug when checking them. Cylinders 1 and 2 looked ok, just older. Cylinders 3 and 4, well...I'll let the pics tell the story. Still debating whether the new (correct) NGK Laser Platinum 4 electrode plugs were the best $32 we've spent on Grumpy or the worst. Why? Well, they fixed the bog when heavy throttle was applied, so that is good thing. Mileage should also increase. The down side is that now instead of bogging when you jump on the throttle the engine reacts and makes boost quickly, but that in turn slips the clutch. :facepalm:. Already pricing out a Valeo single mass clutch setup for him. He's just too happy to receive the love and attention after being neglected for long that he can't stop wanting more of it! Lol!

Cylinder 1. Ok, a little older, gap is a little large, but nothing to be too concerned about.

Cylinder 2. Pretty much the same as #1, just not very tight in the head.

Cylinder #3. WTF happened here?! Also barely tight to the head.

Cylinder 4. The discoloration tells you how tight this one was (not) in the head. Also just as burned up as #3. Did some knuckle head only replace two spark plugs at some point?

Old 04-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
I run my MINI on the track and it eats up the spark plugs (~20k miles). Our Base Cooper gets new plugs every 30k miles. I have a friend who had a single mass clutch. He liked it on the track, but not the street. He went back to a dual mass, but not MINI. If you want I can find out what he did.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:24 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
That #3 cylinder is a problem on my R53 and many others also. I've queried the Forum but no one has been able to tell me why it's just #3.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:27 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
ECS Tuning had a special running on the Valeo recently. I think it was $315 for flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, bolts, throwout bearing and guide tube. Heckuva deal if they still have it.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Here is the post about my friend changing out his single mass clutch to a dual mass. There are a few posts afterwards that are also relevant.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4395162

Just food for thought.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Thanks for the info, everyone. The Valeo kit is what we're looking at. With it already slipping, and the warranty on any clutch kit for the stock flywheel being void if the flywheel isn't replaced, flywheel replacement is a must. And the cost of a replacement dual mass flywheel just isn't feasible right now. I'll have to check ECS.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
$328 @ ECS Tuning right now...

Old 04-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Old 04-05-2019, 03:11 PM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Well, the wife didn't notice any clutch slippage, so that's good. She does drive Grumpy like a granny, though. Maybe that's why he's grumpy for her? LOL!

The hood badge arrived in the mail today. I already peeled all the old sticky off the back of it. Thanks again, co0p3r! We also picked up a matching tire for the BBS, so we just need the 4th good wheel. Next weekend we should be able to get that coming.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:13 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Yjsaabman
Well, the wife didn't notice any clutch slippage, so that's good. She does drive Grumpy like a granny, though. Maybe that's why he's grumpy for her? LOL!

The hood badge arrived in the mail today. I already peeled all the old sticky off the back of it. Thanks again, co0p3r! We also picked up a matching tire for the BBS, so we just need the 4th good wheel. Next weekend we should be able to get that coming.
Glad I could contribute

Old 04-07-2019, 04:26 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Grumpy got a lot of love today. I spent a bunch of time tweaking, adjusting, and cleaning on him. Hood badge is installed, hood has been adjusted for better alignment, I got the lower grill snapped back in place where it was a little loose, and I pulled the front seats and gave the carpet a serious vacuuming and some spot cleaning.

Left side before...

...and after.

The hood looks better, now, but the shape in certain spots (like this) have me wondering if it isn't and aftermarket crash part. It's definitely been painted.

Last edited by Yjsaabman; 04-07-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:07 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Maybe a little fender bender that only crunched the hood and the owner had it repaired themselves, without going through insurance? And went the cheap route? Also, in your picture, it looks like someone used a screwdriver to help align the hood and chipped the paint..

Still, it is looking good and you don’t notice unless looking for it.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:57 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
There's still a bunch of Plastidip residual down in the gap of the scuttle panel. And, yes, there are paint chips everywhere. It was really off side to side which was easily fixed by loosening the hinges and sliding it over a bit. It still sits a little low on the right side, but it looks much better overall. There's so much clear coat peel on the right door and quarter (also repainted) that appearance is pretty secondary at this point.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:10 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Sounds like modding gone bad, by someone who “thought” they knew what they were doing.
I got my house cheap because of that exact same thing.

The most important thing is that it gives everyone smiles when they get in and drive it. Was was said before, thanks for saving it...

Old 04-07-2019, 07:23 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Fortunately my house wasn't too bad, but there was a lot of half-assedery I found along the way. Mostly small things, but no short cuts were spared by the previous owner.

I look at it as helping the environment by keeping older vehicles out of the junkyard when I can. My parents gave us crap about buying a car with 167k miles on it. Nothing wrong with higher mileage cars, as long as you maintain them. My winter vehicle is a 94 Grand Cherokee with 182k miles on it. We drove it 2 hours away to pick up the wheels for Grumpy the other weekend, no worries. I had a 97 Golf that had 247k on it when I sold it. It went on to go over 300k miles. Newer stuff seems to be designed to go maybe 100k, then be thrown away. Cars used to be an investment and something you kept for a long time. Now everything seems to be disposable.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:43 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Grumpy got a bath today. Good opportunity for a picture including that recently installed hood badge. The wife had to run out and get a new hose nozzle to finish the washing and got a compliment on Grumpy, which feels good that others see we are heading in the right direction with him.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yjsaabman:
ECSTuning (04-08-2019), rhenry01 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 06:42 PM
rhenry01
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very good work. These cars are getting in the very affordable range and with a little elbow grease and part the can be great daily drivers again.

Keep at it and keep us posted!!

Old 04-16-2019, 07:09 PM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rhenry01
Very good work. These cars are getting in the very affordable range and with a little elbow grease and part the can be great daily drivers again.

Keep at it and keep us posted!!
Thanks, we're trying!

I noticed the hood scoop had lifted up at the bottom edge over the weekend, and tried a repair. I used some Liquid Nails I've had good luck with on other projects, but I just didn't have enough time to let it setup before I had to reinstall it. Two of the three broken/missing fasteners fell off upon reassembly, but the one that stayed seems to be doing well, as it was still sitting down properly when she got home on Monday after a decent highway run.

Quick Reply: Project: Grumpy. Saving a 2003 MCS