Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

Lightly Modifying My F56

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 05:13 PM
Revolution Motor Works
Vendor
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
working with SWIFT to make some custom springs for the rears as these are a weird design and nothing on the shelf for them at the moment. High quality but I am a huge SWIFT spring fan.......
once available we can get some for testing.

can't wait to hear your feedback on them

Old 01-05-2019, 02:21 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts

Motd 2018

The following users liked this post:
Ikim (05-12-2023)
Old 01-06-2019, 07:29 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
She's looking good brother. Ain't nothin' quite like a Mini With the weather being what it is, have you had much "wheel time" this winter?

Old 02-03-2019, 08:56 AM
saru9999
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the simple question.. It's a long thread and i did skim read. I am thinking to do a black conversion, i found all of the black parts ( either stork or from China) but I cannot seem to workout how to convert the chrome trim around the windows line into black..

Is it simply tape?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-F56-57...W/332899219647

Your advise would be appreciated.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:26 AM
vetsvette
Old 04-02-2019, 07:20 PM
vetsvette

Took a ride to S4S in the snow and sleet today. We finally got around to installing the carbon fiber wing. While I was there I used my new Schwaben Scan Tool to register my new battery. Some finishing touches are in the works to clean the install up cosmetically, but I wanted it for the Dragon, so that’ll have to wait a bit.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:26 PM
vetsvette
ECSTuning (04-03-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 08:56 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Nice!

Old 04-02-2019, 09:09 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
Nice!
Thanks. A nice subtle touch I thought.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Nice is an "understatement"! I personally find it fascinating and finally understand the passion for bringing this car up to our own desired level. Incredible job!

As a side note I also want to "Thank You" to have always helped me with unanswered questions on my part throughout this short time I have been part of this wonderful Forum.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:59 AM
vetsvette
Always glad to help when I can Chef.
Appreciate the compliment too.

Beemerchef (04-15-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:56 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Well, looking at your mods, in addition to the NM control arms already on the car I went ahead and ordered the Big Pair. Talked to Derek at Cravenspeed wanting to make sure they would fit and what a coincidence that he has the same identical car! Nice guy who also knows you... [of course!].
I had to order those "gizmos" used by two fingers to close the doors! I just thought that was genial... Just a bit OCD when it comes to this car which will be a keeper for me, the Jeep is filthy... and don't care about that too much!
I think from what I have read it will stiffen the car further. What has been your feedback? Some have written "instantly"[???] and some only out of town on the curvy roads which are many here.
Thanks.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:38 PM
vetsvette
I’ll answer your questions when I get back home. In the process of installing a new suspension system.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:27 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
I’ll answer your questions when I get back home. In the process of installing a new suspension system.

I lost your personal website! Had the "Big Pair" installed this morning, I can tell you the feedback but I want to read what yours has been first...

"Cravenspeed" is an awesome company always right on point and next week will be the air intake... I have not figured out yet who to blame for all of this!!!

Hope your new suspension install has gone well.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:53 PM
vetsvette
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We spent two days with it on the lift to get the suspension sorted out. I'm working with RMW now to address the problems we encountered.

As far as the Big Pair goes, IIRC it reduced the amount of twist or torquing of the platform. Kind of like when you cross a speed bump at an angle. It tightened it up considerably. Since then, with the addition of sway bars, strut tower brace, and welded in roll bar my car couldn't twist if it wanted to.
Kellen and all the guys at Cravenspeed are great to deal with. I have never had a bad thing to say about the personal service or the products (many) that I've bought from them. That being said, I would reconsider the intake system. It is a well made intake and might make a couple more horses on the dyno, but after a lot of research and critical (for me anyway) thinking I got away from the intakes that suck in hot underhood air. I'm actually on my 4th style intake now if you count the stock unit. The one I have now uses the stock cold/fresh air inlets behind the grill that the stock parts uses. It just improved everything from there to the MAF to increase airflow.

So, how do you like the "Big Pair"?

Old 04-22-2019, 03:34 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We spent two days with it on the lift to get the suspension sorted out. I'm working with RMW now to address the problems we encountered.

As far as the Big Pair goes, IIRC it reduced the amount of twist or torquing of the platform. Kind of like when you cross a speed bump at an angle. It tightened it up considerably. Since then, with the addition of sway bars, strut tower brace, and welded in roll bar my car couldn't twist if it wanted to.
Kellen and all the guys at Cravenspeed are great to deal with. I have never had a bad thing to say about the personal service or the products (many) that I've bought from them. That being said, I would reconsider the intake system. It is a well made intake and might make a couple more horses on the dyno, but after a lot of research and critical (for me anyway) thinking I got away from the intakes that suck in hot underhood air. I'm actually on my 4th style intake now if you count the stock unit. The one I have now uses the stock cold/fresh air inlets behind the grill that the stock parts uses. It just improved everything from there to the MAF to increase airflow.

So, how do you like the "Big Pair"?
No worries on the "reply time"...

I fully understand what you are saying about the air intake. As a coincidence I bumped into the now retired "Land Rover" Southern USA Manager this morning. We have many Friends in common from Overland Journal, Overland Expo, you name it. 4x4's. We talked about the intake and he had the same opinion as yours! So I appreciate what you wrote and most likely will spare that expense. I have been actually waiting for a "piper-cross" air filter [triple foam layers] as being from England they are out of it right now for my car. There is always the fear on K&N's or BMC's as in my Jeep of oiling them too much which would affect the sensors. That is what I read anyhow! [?].

The Big Pair!!! I feel as, the best way I can describe it going up and down the mountain today, that the car is more on rails than before especially exiting the turns such as a 30mph turn at 75. Maybe the steering is even more precise? That part might be my imagination as the JCW is already such a precise driving instrument. No regrets for sure...

We could PM sometime about BBQ! My recently purchased Traeger Pellet grill has been a game changer for me! Even making my own sauce with a hint of orange in the background! Something I tasted years ago in GA from a BBQ truck as never found him again. Hard to believe but after 50+ years of 5 Star cooking around the World I had never ever BBQ'd before!!! That was never in the four year course in Switzerland! Imagine that... Baby Back Ribs finished with Apple Juice is my new addiction! Once a week so far...

Thanks again.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I wonder what a heavily modified thread would look like?

How about listing the mods from favorite to not so big a deal?

Old 04-22-2019, 09:25 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Beemerchef - you are only now discovering the wonders of BBQ? Check out the "Thrill of the Grill" cookbook by Schlesinger and Willoughby, and the sequels - "License to Grill", etc. My favorite cookbooks and very educational too.

OK back to MINIs now.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Elliott Palmer
Neutral
Just wondering what seat base plate you used to mount the Sparcos. I can’t find any for the F56.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by Elliott Palmer
Just wondering what seat base plate you used to mount the Sparcos. I can’t find any for the F56.
Modified Sparco R56 base plates with Sparco slider mechanisms.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:47 PM
Elliott Palmer
Neutral
Was the modding extensive? Or just drilling some holes, thanks!

Old 06-04-2019, 07:50 PM
vetsvette
Don’t really remember. Sneed4speed did the install for me.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 PM
Elliott Palmer
Neutral
Don’t really remember. Sneed4speed did the install for me.
Thanks!

Old 08-01-2019, 04:11 PM
vetsvette
Haven't done much lately, but I have a few things scheduled as soon as it cools off some. This is all I can think of off hand.

Cravenspeen tail light overlays
Black LED side markers
New mounting brackets for the wing
NM 25mm sway bar
Getting some logging done so I can bump my Bytetronik Tune up to Stage 2

Old 08-02-2019, 07:46 AM
Beemer chef
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't done much lately, but I have a few things scheduled as soon as it cools off some. This is all I can think of off hand.

Cravenspeen tail light overlays
Black LED side markers
New mounting brackets for the wing
NM 25mm sway bar
Getting some logging done so I can bump my Bytetronik Tune up to Stage 2
Had to change my user name... a glitch!!!

I continue enjoying this "useless" car... with the only purpose of putting a smile on my old composure...
I was thinking about the taillight overlays, only wish they were in the other direction. I guess just personal taste.
What are "side markers"?
I did go ahead and installed [too easy!] the AWE air intake. In conjunction with the Pro Exhaust do I feel a difference? Maybe!!! More air in... more air out?
How is the BBQ coming?

Stay well...

PS: my new Buddy "Ziggy"

Minnie.the.Moocher (08-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Lightly Modifying My F56