Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

We Need a New Motor?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:24 AM
TheArch0n
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We Need a New Motor?!

So my lady purchased her first MINI this fall. A 2008 MCS with 40,000 miles on it. The other day the rpms started dropping really low and the car was jumping around. We took it to the local auto parts store to have it scanned and it said the timing chain tensioner needed to be replaced. Took it to a local shop the next day to have an inspection and they say that the PCV valve is clogged and the car is burning oil and the engine is damaged. They are saying she needs a new engine and it is going to cost around $8400! My question is can that even happen and where to go from here?

Thanks gents, really freaked out here.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:42 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Hello and worry not. anything is fixable. The shop will most likely, if not always, want to get the job done ASAP. replacing the engine to them is fast and juicy money.

If you have the car at your house, I suggest taking the valve cover off and take a look. you can also take pix and attach them to this post.

many of us has done the rebuilt, I know I did at least 5 times so far (for myself and other NAM members), so the first task is to verify what the mechanic says. if you are nearby, i can help out too.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:15 PM
TheArch0n
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for responding and that is very encouraging. I will have to post a picture after taking your advice about the valve cover. I'm sure the plastic part of the timing chain guides will be in pieces. You said you did the rebuild 5 times! Is this a problem that is going to occur again? Also is there anything I can do to protect my 06 MCS?

Old 03-06-2017, 02:23 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
The rebuilds are on different cars. The timing chain is a known issue with the N14 (2007 to 2010) coopers S.

The 1st gen coopers are not prone to timing chain issue (at least i have not heard of any).