MINI Collectibles Discuss new finds and organize trades of MINI collectibles.

Show off your Motoring Badge Collection...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:28 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jpolson

-Now back to badges, I plan on getting some, What is the selection going to be like at MITM?
I'm going to abstain from the USPS discussion. Except to say that I've not had a lot of issues with it. My own mail carrier is another topic.

I've had enough controversial discussion in another forum today. Yuck.

MITM:
Yes, there will be many. I just signed on to a full time gig on a TV show, but they've agreed to let me off to attend MITM and MMW. I understand that no one will be permitted to use the text "MINIs in the Mountains" or other like slogans. But there will be plenty of variety of stock items and new even themed items.

A footnote:

So the other day, I can't remember when it's all a blur of pixels and vectors this week, I tossed this together (yes, he said it) and put it up at motorswag.com

Darned if 3 people didn't order it already>

So I have these now for shipping and storing your badges.

They fit nicely and protect your investment. There's a case I'm doing too. Stay tuned.

Last edited by DVLMINI; 06-14-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:30 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVLMINI
...So I have these now for shipping and storing your badges.

They fit nicely and protect your investment. There's a case I'm doing too. Stay tuned.
Very nice. I was wondering what I was going to do once my cookie sheet was full.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:00 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dickdavid
Very nice. I was wondering what I was going to do once my cookie sheet was full.
Buy 2 more, one to fill, one to bake cookies!

Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Trinity07
6th Gear

Darned if 3 people didn't order it already
+1

That will bump my total to 12. Once I get them all, Ill have to take an updated pic. Right now, if theyre not on my car, theyre on my fridge

Last edited by Trinity07; 06-15-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:10 AM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Trinity07
+1

That will bump my total to 12. Once I get them all, Ill have to take an updated pic. Right now, if theyre not on my car, theyre on my fridge

Perhaps you'll like the little storage wallet I've found. But you might need two and don't forget to keep a stack of 12 magnets away from your 8-tracks Waiting for a real sample to come before I put them up.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:50 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Trinity07
..Right now, if theyre not on my car, theyre on my fridge
Lucky! I have kiddos and for some reason magnets constantly disappear from the fridge. For me, keeping my magnetic grill badges there is not an option.

BADGE STORAGE:
When I first started getting the badges I tried to find a good solution for storage. I even tried to find 3" floppy disk sleeves (good luck trying to find those anymore) so that I can store them in book/page form.

With no luck with that, I looked into several other options. Once, I found small cylinder type container for stacking them all together. That didn't work to well, plus I like to display my options.

With all my attempts, I've discovered a few things:

1) Don't store them stacked together in your car during a Texas summer. They will all warp. Fortunately, they're flexible enough to un-warp. However, I have to think that if they stay warped for an extended amount of time, it might be permanent.

2) The best solution for storage, that I've discovered, is on a flat, metal surface (like a fridge or cookie sheet). They can be displayed for easy choosing and they don't warp. They even do well in the Texas heat when stored like this.

3) Badge + Really HEAVY Tool Box + Confined Boot + Sharp Turn = Damaged Badge. Fortunately it was an extra AND it wasn't one of the 'coated' badges from Motoringbadges.com. I feel the extra lamination that toddsmods uses might have protected this one. All my badges are pretty durable and given what they were up against, even the damaged one doesn't look too bad.

Last edited by dickdavid; 06-16-2007 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:40 AM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
I feel the extra lamination that toddsmods uses might have protected this one. All my badges are pretty durable and given what they were up against, even the damaged one doesn't look too bad.
Yes, lamination is important. Not really for UV fading, because the inks I use and , I would imagine Todd as well, are outdoor inks on outdoor vinyl.
That's why the vinyl won't yellow and the ink will last 3-5 years.

The lamination provides an extra layer of protection from abrasion, rock chips,
etc and more UV protection. The lamination was one of the first things I researched when testing these and I'm happy with it.

That said, I doubt many people will have the same badge on the holder for 3 years, straight. So Todd's and mine should last many many years.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:46 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
DVLMINI- you do have some neat designs for your your grille badges!

But I'm afraid I won't be able to purchase any in light of the recent "eyes" discussion/argument/name calling. And even if it isn't technically trademark infringement, the use of the Spidey & Tweetie images (though neat ideas) are treading on the bounds of propriety. The same for the descriptions "Dark Knight" and "Web motor sports". C'mon, the last's a blatant rip-off of the name of another vendor on NAM.

I apologize for airing this here, but it is something I feel I should say. I figured this was the most appropriate thread for it.

I also apologize for harshing the mellow of this thread. Carry on all!

Old 06-16-2007, 07:02 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
I've often thought it would be cool to find other places to mount a magnetic badge. One idea was to place it next to the license plate (front OR back).

Here's a really rough comp that I made up last year. I'd still like to produce something like this with options of left side, right side or both side disks to hold either magnetic OR traditional badges.

Right now, I have 2 traditional badges on my boot (Just like the pic below of Uncle John's old MC, Buck). I would have loved an option to stick them on a license plate frame like this instead of directly on the paint.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Right now, I have 2 traditional badges on my boot (Just like the pic below of Uncle John's old MC, Buck). I would have loved an option to stick them on a license plate frame like this instead of directly on the paint.
Now THAT is a good lookin MINI . . . That may have been the best lookin' one i've had . . .

Old 06-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run a couple back there too. It worries me though. I'm afraid after a bit of time my paint will get damaged from the grit that gets under the badges. A plate frame like that would be great.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:47 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ashboomstick
DVLMINI- you do have some neat designs for your your grille badges!

But I'm afraid I won't be able to purchase any in light of the recent "eyes" discussion/argument/name calling. And even if it isn't technically trademark infringement, the use of the Spidey & Tweetie images (though neat ideas) are treading on the bounds of propriety. The same for the descriptions "Dark Knight" and "Web motor sports". C'mon, the last's a blatant rip-off of the name of another vendor on NAM.

I apologize for airing this here, but it is something I feel I should say. I figured this was the most appropriate thread for it.

I also apologize for harshing the mellow of this thread. Carry on all!

Actually,

It's not the most appropriate thread for it but that's just my opinion and you,of course are entitled to your own. There's a whole thread dedicated to the "Spidey" and "Tweety" things as you call them. Somewhere else on NAM called Intellectual Property Rights.

You're welcome to join in.

Look around the other vendors and hopefully you'll be as critical about the origins of their work as well.

Regarding Randy Webb- with two "b"s

Randy knows me and can take a joke. It's not even a product for sale, for Pete's sake and it's a joke title, not a product name, silly. Dark Knight? It looks nothing like Batman.

I'm not going to re-hash the ripped-off eyes debate. My design, counterfeited. That's it. If there was nothing wrong with the thread that was deleted, it would not have been deleted. I'll miss you as a customer and I'm sorry you feel the way you do , but I'm sure others can make up their own minds without some public prodding from you.

I admit when I'm wrong, others I have no control over.

It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to lay the whole story out so the truth can be revealed. I 'll let you know. It won't be on here, though.

Check the CMMC boards...there's some truth over there.

Shop with me or don't, but you're welcome anytime. You'll be treated with respect and receive the best product I can offer.

Cheers.

Oh...thanks for the compliment

Old 06-16-2007, 07:56 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor

David,

There used to --and may still be--a license plate bolt mounting option for traditional metal grille badges. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

My Dad, may he rest in peace, has his don't-give me-ticket-I'm an M.D. things on his rear plate.

It would be easy enough to fashion something that would work for you without building a whole plate frame hang on ...be right back.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:03 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Uncle_John
Now THAT is a good lookin MINI . . . That may have been the best lookin' one i've had . . .
And the best sounding.

Originally Posted by Crashton
I run a couple back there too. It worries me though. I'm afraid after a bit of time my paint will get damaged from the grit that gets under the badges. A plate frame like that would be great.
Hey, I'm the idea guy. Now I need somebody to do the real work of producing this. The part I like is that it would keep badges and swag off the paint and clear of the grills (although MINI alows up to two badges there).

Old 06-16-2007, 08:08 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Sorry, too much on my plate..Try Aaron at OM. He's good at stuff like that.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:13 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Sorry, too much on my plate..Try Aaron at OM. He's good at stuff like that.
I thought about him and the Craven guys. They're always building something new and cool like the flexpod. I guess it's a matter of finding enough interest to develop something like that.

The idea is up for grabs, just as long as it's called the "kick-butt dickdavid license plate badge frame" LOL

Last edited by dickdavid; 06-16-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:02 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Here's a new one.
Sorry to the R53 ers...you'll get your own.
Black/BRG/Metallic Silver

Old 06-17-2007, 07:16 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
...Sorry to the R53 ers...you'll get your own...
Don't forget about the R50ers.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:02 AM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Don't forget about the R50ers.
Yes, shame on me.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:49 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
What strikes me as odd is that nobody has come up with 'other interest' (non-motoring) badges.
For example:
- billiard *****. Whalen did pretty well offering up billiard ball shift *****.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What strikes me as odd is that nobody has come up with 'other interest' (non-motoring) badges.
For example:
- billiard *****. Whalen did pretty well offering up billiard ball shift *****.
motoring swag will have them next week now that you mentioned that probably.

mine came today! pics will be up when i find a camera

Old 06-18-2007, 03:48 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
motoring swag will have them next week now that you mentioned that probably.

mine came today! pics will be up when i find a camera
That's funny, but if you look at my badge page or the vendor announcements from yesterday you'll see that I'm 1/4 step ahead of DickDavid.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:57 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
That's funny, but if you look at my badge page or the vendor announcements from yesterday you'll see that I'm 1/4 step ahead of DickDavid.
You're falling behind. Most folks are about 2 steps ahead of me.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:40 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Try getting two 3 1/4" clear vinyl patches. The same stuff that the clear bra is made of. Any sign shop should be able to cut them. Put them where you would put your badges and you won't scratch the paint.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by FFisher1
Try getting two 3 1/4" clear vinyl patches. The same stuff that the clear bra is made of. Any sign shop should be able to cut them. Put them where you would put your badges and you won't scratch the paint.

Just my 2 cents.
Excellent idea! And no "motoring swag" will not be jumping on that bandwagon.
Here's a good site to see what kind or clear vinyls are available so you know what to ask for when you go. Some sign supply places allow you to order as little as 1 foot online and you can cut it yourself. You can cut a circle , right DD?

Quick Reply: Show off your Motoring Badge Collection...