MINI Car Club of Indiana (MINICCI) The MINICCI Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.MINICCI.org

Time to say goodbye to "The Mini That Never Was" ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:25 AM
EefsJ_JArc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to say goodbye to "The Mini That Never Was" ??

I think it is time to say goodbye to my dream of the Mini.... While technically I could afford the costs that would come along with the Mini of my dreams I would be extremely tight on cash, and I wouldn't have any extra if there were any sort of emergency, something I wouldn't want to risk. I also would have to send Thunder back home and I don't feel that is right to do to him, he is settled in and watched over 24/7 by knowledgable eyes and that makes life so much easier for me, b.c I never have to worry about him when there are times that I can't get out to the stables as much as I would like to. Joe has said that he would sell the SUV to me for around 13k, two grand more than what he still owes on it and that is a price for something that nice that I can't really pass up. Right now I am waiting to find out what the insurance agent quotes the charge at for the truck, I should know tomarrow when I talk to my father.
Some upsides to the truck include that
::I know the truck's history
::I know that it was maintained in a certain way
::It is nice and clean inside and out
::Automatic everything
::Heated seats
::A great sound system
: Dvd hookups on the in-roof television
::It does have the towing package so I could haul a two horse trailer if I get one sometime
::It is a four wheel drive which will be nice for this winter

The Downsides
::Not so fabulous gas mileage
::It's not a Mini

I am obviously dissapointed in the fact that I won't be getting the Mini when I thought that I was soooo very close, but short of one just showing up in my parking spot I won't be able to get my dream car. The insurance companies sound like they will be bickering for quite a while and I can't afford to get the Mini w/o the money from the settlement, and Joe needs to start working on selling the truck in order to get his new ride so I have to look at getting something pretty quickly.... So I'm saying a sad goodbye to my "Mini that never was", maybe someday....

Old 04-06-2005, 04:34 AM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EefsJ:

It sounds like you're making a wise if painful decision. Good luck to you, and maybe we'll see you here again in a few years!

Old 04-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
I would still be wary of something with that kind of gas mileage. Regular is $2.39 at the station closest to my house and I know it will go up.

Also... I can't believe the ins. companies are making you wait, that's really . When my Civic was totalled I kept on them constantly, checking every day and it only took about 1.5 weeks to get it all settled... I made it clear that I HAD to get it taken care of and get a car.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Turbogeo
3rd Gear
Dont ever lose hope of your dream! My dream started when I was a child I had a neighbor with an old Mini and I wanted one so bad,"a car that looked like a toy". The years went by and every time I would see one I would smile and say some day. Then in 2002 the (BMW)Mini came out, not only a Mini but BMW had something to do with it. Then I Knew I had to get one. The wife agreed. The week I was to begin looking (mothers day weekend) my wife became sick and we found out she was with child unexpected my I add! My dream once again postponed. Being a small business owner we hit hard times ready to give up on my dream and lose everything I had a gent walked through the front door and softly asked if I was interested in selling my business to him, we worked out a deal then I went stright to the Mini dealer and took her off the showroom floor. 04 MCS EB/W and many upgrades. Dreams do come true!!!!!!!!!! Keep your dream!

P.S. This story was from the heart and hard to write.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:56 PM
MINI_CAR
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jenn B
I would still be wary of something with that kind of gas mileage. Regular is $2.39 at the station closest to my house and I know it will go up.

Also... I can't believe the ins. companies are making you wait, that's really . When my Civic was totalled I kept on them constantly, checking every day and it only took about 1.5 weeks to get it all settled... I made it clear that I HAD to get it taken care of and get a car.

I totally agree with you Jenn. Gas is really expensive; especially that kind of big car. Also, it only took about a week to get it all settled when my Evo VIII totalled.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:50 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Also, wanted to add something else because #1 I'm an accountant and this s how I think and #2 I don't want you to say to yourself in six months "wow, I really wish I had that car". We like having you in our little community and hate the idea of someone not getting what they truly want.

Be sure to look at the total cost of a car, not just say $13K vs. $19K. If you were paying cash that would be a complete no-brainer but be careful and look at the whole picture.

From working at dealerships, I know that sometimes buying a new car can actually be less than a used car... why? Interest rates.

You may want to do this little formula:

Take your car payment times 12
add
Insurance for the year
add
gas for the year
add
a little something for repairs, maybe tires, 3 or 4 oil changes

and now divide that by 12 to get your actual cost of ownership per month.

You would be surprised how cheap insurance is on a MINI... mine is less than it was on my 97 Civic EX and less than and other car that I quoted before getting the MINI... and I drive an "S".

Gas - if you drive an average of 12,000 miles a year, at current prices -
Average of 33 mpg = $869 (Coopers may get even more than this)
Average of 20 mpg = $1,434

Repairs - I've had my MINI for 10 months tomorrow and I've put gas in it... and that's it.

Just wanna see you happy with your decision. :smile:

Old 04-07-2005, 11:56 AM
EefsJ_JArc
3rd Gear
Aww Jenn, you're so sweet! You really are.... I love being a part of this little community, you are all incredibly kind people that I actually enjoy meeting up with. I appreciate that breakdown b.c it shows that I am not crazy when I tell people that the Mini is going to be cheaper than buying any used POS right now. Right now, driving Joe's SUV I am spending aprox $35.00 every other day to fill that thing up, I filled it up in plainfield yesterday morning and after we went to Noblesville last night to have dinner with his mother it's already 3/4 of a tank empty!

Basicly it's not the car payment that is making it impossible, it's the car insurance... My payment on the Mini that I looked at ordering back in October was around $520, my insurance was quoted to me two days ago on the Mini at around $3500 a year... Right now my budget looks as if I will have around $900 dollars a month (this is after I move in with Joe in May) and while I can technically afford it, I couldn't afford anything else or if an emergency were to come up. That is why I had planned on using the settlement money to make the downpayment on the Mini, to lower my monthly payment.... But who knows how long that will be now.

We are calling the Insurance agent every single day, as you suggested Jenn... and between getting the runaround (still) and being unable to get ahold of anyone at all it's come to the point that we are now starting to contact lawyers... So if anyone knows of a good one, let me know please!!

Now back to the never ending drama around finding a car quickly... I found out yesterday that the bank will not even loan me enough to pay off what Joe still owes on the SUV, so bsaicly it's looking like that is now not an option either..... I honestly don't know what to do and I only have until the end of the month to find something. I've been stressing and crying enough lately that I should probley be committed...

Turbogeo>> Wow, that's fabulous and I am so so so very happy for you! I'm just so frustrated b.c it feels like everytime I am almost there I get dragged back down again, as it sounds you probley felt as well... Just last night Joe and I were driving home from dinner and he knows that when I see Minis on the street I make mental notes of where I saw them b.c I enjot coming here and posting my sightings... He asked if I was jotting them down jokingly and when I just shook my head and said "no..why do that anymore?" I know he could tell how hurt I was and he said exactly what you did... "someday".

Old 04-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Why is your insurance so much!?

Mine is $1100 a year on my S

$250 (lowest possible) deductible on collision, $0 on everything else.

Can I say it again...

Plus... my S doesn't even hold $35 in gas... yet.. and that's premium and last me for nearly a week

how many times can I use face?

And I totally agree.. brand new or very close to new cars end up being cheaper most of the time. I had a 97 Civic EX before and the payments were well under $300 a month but with oil changes, crap that kept breaking on it, ugh, it was easily costing me $500 a month. Way more than my MINI.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:55 PM
EefsJ_JArc
3rd Gear
The insurance is so high simply due to my age... they said it would drop when I was 24 I think it's rediculous......... And that would be the price of full coverage on the Mini until I turn 24....

Old 04-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Davisio
4th Gear
Originally Posted by EefsJ_JArc
The insurance is so high simply due to my age... they said it would drop when I was 24 I think it's rediculous......... And that would be the price of full coverage on the Mini until I turn 24....
I'd be shoppin that insurance.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Miniwildcat
3rd Gear
I would REALLY be shopping for insurance because I just changed insurance companies last year. I now pay about $1600/year for my S and I'm a 21 year old male. I totally know how paprwork just keeps piling up as I'm stillgn dealing with my insurance company about my accident, but if you need any help at all I'm sure anyone of us would do what they could. Hope everything gets worked out.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:51 PM
mudfoot
3rd Gear
$3500 a year

That is outrageous, even at a "young" age, unless you have multiple DUI convictions or something bad like that. Like others have said already, go shopping for a new insurance carrier.

For both of my cars, the combined annual premium is about $1400, and I have full coverage and low deductible. When I bought my first car I was 22, and it was a 2door "sports car", and even then my annual premium was just shy of $1600.

Someone is trying to hose you.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Exactly.... that is way too high. My insurance has never in my life been over $1300 a year... even when I was driving an almost brand new car at 20.... not even close to that high. And I had tickets! Quite a few of them

Oh.. and I have always had full coverage.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:40 PM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
I know its tough. A wise person once told me - "go as far as you can see, then when you get there, you'll be able to see further." God unfolds His plan for us a little at a time. Just do what you know to do today, and tomorrow will take care of itself. :smile:

P.S. On insurance, have you had them quote you on an auto and a manual? I know sometimes insurance co.'s don't see automatics the same as manuals. Man, the thing only has a 1.6L engine! You'd think you were trying to insure a 5.0L mustang or something.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:22 AM
EefsJ_JArc
3rd Gear
I've often told father that I should shop around and he keeps telling me that this is the lowest I will find... Maybe it's time that I do start looking if this is as outrageous as everyone says it is ! Bastards.. I am with indiana farmers insurance... any other companies would be apreciated, I just did a quick online quote with progressive and it said around 2800 a year with this not at fault accident on me. Still cheaper than 3500

Well.... God and I are not exactly seeing eye to eye right now and I've cursed him quite a bit lately... I'll keep my comments to myself on that one.

Originally Posted by Miniwildcat
I now pay about $1600/year for my S and I'm a 21 year old male..
What insurance company do you use ?!??!?!?!?!?

Old 04-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Do it... shop around... seriously.

I would actually call them for quotes though.. I've found the online things to ALWAYS quote me higher than actual.

I'm with State Farm... have been for as long as I've been driving.

I would actually call them, Progressive, Geico and any others that people can suggest. I know you can find lower than that.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:19 AM
EefsJ_JArc
3rd Gear
Deffinately something I will be doing, I guess father likes being with his "small town agent" b.c that's who he grew up knowing but well... as nice as it is to always know the person I'm talking to (and I will say that they have been great insurance agents) I want my best rate possible.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
When I moved here, I stayed with the same company but got a new agent, obviously, and they have treated me very nice. Any time I call they immediately know who I am and help me out with anything I need.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Miniwildcat
3rd Gear
What insurance company do you use ?!??!?!?!?!?
I am currently using Progressive, however that price does not include the ccident so I am sure it will go up. When I was shopping around I found either All-State or State Farm (can't remember) was cheaper, but wouldn't insure me for other reason which I will not go into. Good luck with the shopping.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:57 PM
EefsJ_JArc
3rd Gear
Weelllllll........ If the car and the insurance are put in my father and mother's name... my insurance would be $171 a month through State Farm... Just found out.....

Old 04-08-2005, 09:17 PM
binkysmini
3rd Gear
WoooHooo,
Back in the MINI market!!!

You're gonna be in a gas sippin', non-SUV, BRG MINI before summer. I'll bet you can't wait to be a driver at an event!
So glad to hear it may work out for you. Still, shop for rates. I hate the phone calls and giving out the info over and over, but it has to be done.
Cheers!
John

Old 04-08-2005, 09:34 PM
EefsJ_JArc
3rd Gear
Well I'm trying not to get my hopes up... you guys know how things tend to work out for me

I'm looking for any color (but BRG is my dream car) automatic Cooper.... I've got the numbers for the 3 dealers in the chicago area, the 1 in cincy and I may go by D&R just to check....

Tonight my father asked "Wanna go to Cincy tomarrow hon?"

Old 04-08-2005, 09:39 PM
binkysmini
3rd Gear
Old 04-08-2005, 10:19 PM
EefsJ_JArc
3rd Gear
my dream car !!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2005, 06:28 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
eighteen nine!!!!!

$18,900 for a 2002!

Tiffany, if you are going to spend that kind of money... Get a '05!

I thought you wanted a 5 speed...

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye to "The Mini That Never Was" ??