MINI Camera and Video Interested in capturing your motoring experience? Discuss here your favorite video and photography skills using your MINI.

MINI Advanced car eye

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 02:07 PM
barmybee
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
MINI Advanced car eye

Just had fitted the MINI Advanced car eye, seems OK so far.
Still getting to grips with how it works.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:46 PM
R55S
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking at getting the latest version installed as soon as I get a response from my service advisor as they never installed one before and wanted sometime to look into it first. How’s it holding up so far?

Old 07-13-2019, 03:47 PM
barmybee
2nd Gear
I have had issues (Gen 1) with the recorded sound being affected by the radio; this wasn’t an issue when first fitted? Can only assume this is an internal microphone issue, would return to my local dealership to sort but this is the second unit fitted as the first failed to record and now the car is out of warranty but the unit isn’t and now I have lost confidence in the camera as it is now unviable for replacement. (It still records the picture fine; I just don’t record sound having now disabled it)

I went with a genuine MINI product as the car was under warranty/New, but I’m now considering replacing the unit with an aftermarket unit. The second generation BMW/MINI unit seems more advanced as it connects to your phone without the need to remove the SD card but is still priced high compared to aftermarket products, and the wiring has changed from the first generation making an upgrade more complicated as you have to install new cables. I have both front and rear cameras fitted.

If your car is out of the warranty period I would look to an aftermarket unit, electrical faults under warranty maybe an issue if not fitted by your dealer.

Hope this helps

The following users liked this post:
R55S (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:23 PM
R55S
1st Gear
I really want one hardwired in as I dislike cables is one reason why I am considering the factory authorized unit and having it installed by them. I am also very concerned about how complicated this vehicle would be when it comes to running wires that I don’t trust someone like Best Buy to run one of their systems. As I am sure if I have issues down the road, they will possibly make it worse... I also, probably stupidly paid for a extended warranty for 48 months and another 50,000 miles.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:01 PM
barmybee
2nd Gear
For peace of mind you are better going down the dealer fit option then, they did break a plastic cover while running the wires on mine to where the rear camera sits. All covered by them and a new trim panel fit. The second generation of the Advanced Car Eye 2 will be better I’m sure than the first incarnation, things move on fast now in the electronics world.

Link to BMW site for the camera details

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_4282

The following users liked this post:
R55S (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 01:10 PM
R55S
1st Gear
Hmm, says it’s not possible with the Clubman. Sure it has something to do with camera placement on the rear window. I would imagine they could offset it to one side or something.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:22 PM
barmybee
2nd Gear
MINI Advanced car eye

BMW insulation instructions for MINI Advanced car eye (First generation)

Hope this helps your decision

Attached Files
Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 PM
barmybee
2nd Gear
Sure that's posible, something to look into.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
More info here also:: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-things-2.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172