North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Milwaukee MINIs (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/milwaukee-minis-160/)
-   -   Breakfast? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/milwaukee-minis/116967-breakfast.html)

BSUCardinalfan 10-15-2007 01:45 PM

Breakfast?

Ana and I had an idea this weekend, I wanted to see if anyone was interested.

We've sorta informally discussed meeting for Breakfast sometime. So here's the idea.

We'll pick a Saturday in November (say, the 10th or 17th) and meet somewhere along I-94 (possibly the college ave. park and ride?) and then motor down to Cracker Barrel in Kenosha for breakfast (mainly because we like Cracker Barrel, we could pick a different breakfast spot). After breakfast, we'll continue south (er, east, according to I-94...) to Gurnee, and hit up Gurnee Mills so that everyone can get an early start on holiday shopping.

We were also thinking about getting some folks from the group to go ice skating down there, and I'll step up now and issue an open challenge to anyone to race me at the slot car track.

So, what does everyone think? Constructive feedback appreciated!

mauberley 10-15-2007 03:00 PM

Sounds intriguing :)

AutoXCooper.com 10-15-2007 07:18 PM

I like the sounds of that, what time do you think you will hit the Cracker. If you like the Slot Cars wait till you see what you could do with CMMC on Nov 18th. Heres a preview
Indoor R/C racing.. November 18th will find us indoors at the Hawthorn Mall assembling and racing radio controlled cars. I know a few R/C hotshots that will be sure to have a blast here!! More detail to follow at end of Month.

BSUCardinalfan 10-16-2007 08:19 AM

Dates/times are wide open. A sunday might actually work better for some people, so we could even do that.

I would think it is about 30 minutes from College Ave. to Cracker Barrel, so if we met at 8, on the road at 8:15, down there by 8:45 or so? That gives us an hour from breakfast, getting out and down to Gurnee by 10-10:30....of course on a Sunday the mall might not even be open that early. (stream of consciousness posting, yay!:razz: )

One thing that might be nice, would be if there is a 'back way' from Kenosha to Gurnee that we could take to make the drive a bit more 'scenic' and avoid the toll booth.

I'm interested in the RC car thing, too....I'll have to clear that with the family social coordinator, however.

TNCRMPT 10-16-2007 02:18 PM

Go for it. :)

Go for it - ask your social coordinator to pick a date and then let me know the details to post on the Milwaukee MINIS site. I think that everyone will love to get together during the winter.

AutoXCooper.com 10-16-2007 04:38 PM

I vote for the 10th or 11th of Nov. The Mill opens at 11am on Sun and 10am on Sat. If you call the Slot Car place they might open early for a group, the R/C place is for CMMC.

Here is the Route I would take, note the loop is run clockwise to avoid left hand turns on 45. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...2799&z=11&om=1

There's not many great/fun roads in that area. Pick a date soon and I'll try to make it.

BSUCardinalfan 10-17-2007 05:19 AM

Thanks!

Looks like sunday is better (I forgot our daughter's swimming class) so I'll set up the formal information later this week.

mauberley 10-17-2007 10:36 AM

I vote for Sunday--busy that Saturday.

BSUCardinalfan 10-24-2007 11:17 AM

Okay, this is going to happen. the date will be November 11.

I called MC speedway but haven't heard a response. I may test drive the route and just stop in this weekend if I have time.

The prices for races are $4-$6 depending on the speed of the car. 6 people can race at a given time, and I think the races are five minutes long.

I think we'd need to convince them that we'd be able to have 4 or 5 races with 5 or 6 cars each in order to open up early. I'd be in for 2 or 3 races myself (we could even do a 'tournament' style event if we get enough people, I guess.) Pictures of the track:
http://www.oldweirdherald.com/photos...peedway?page=1

Depending on what we can arrange with the slot car place, we'll set the start time.

Assuming they will open for us at 10:30, I'd lay out a schedule as follows:

Meet at 7:30-ish am (college avenue park and ride)
Leave by 7:50
Arrive Cracker Barrel by 8:15
Eat, leave Cracker Barrel by 9:30
Arrive Gurnee Mills by 10:15
Enter to slot car place by 10:30

how does that sound (I'm a complete novice at this organizational stuff, by the way!)

200-OK 10-25-2007 06:16 AM

This sounds fun. Will there be a formal RSVP?

BSUCardinalfan 10-25-2007 07:38 AM

yes, I'm going to have Teresa set it up on the milwaukee minis website, and the RSVP will be to me.

(also, per a very good suggestion, the times have been edited a bit)

AutoXCooper.com 10-25-2007 02:04 PM

Hey BSU, looks like you have a handle on the gig, I'll join you for breakfast and racing.

BSUCardinalfan 10-26-2007 01:46 PM

Okay, MC speedway will open early if we give them 4 or 5 days notice, and guarantee enough races.

We'll need to fill enough slots at the RC track for at least five races, with at least five or six people each race. Hopefully we can get 10 or 15 people to agree to race two races each, that would get us pretty close.

Theresa, can you post this on the club web page?

Breakfast, Slot Cars, and early Christmas shopping
Sunday, November 11

We'll meet at the I-94 and College avenue park and ride, then caravan to Cracker Barrel in Kenosha for breakfast, followed by a drive to Gurnee Mills Mall, where we will race slot cars at MC Speedway, and then break up for shopping/ice skating/etc.

Important times:
Meet at I-94/College Park and Ride: 7:30
Arrive Cracker Barrel: 8:15
Arrive Gurnee Mills: 10:15
Slot Car Racing: 10:30

Note, if we do not get enough RSVPs for slot car racing, we'll move the time back 30 minutes and then show up and race with anyone who wants to once the shop is open for business.

RSVP to twesley06 (at) yahoo.com
with number of people attending for eating, plus number of people wanting to race/how many races (which are $4-$6 each for five minutes)

I'm going to also post a link to this thread in the chicago forum. Chicago folks, you are welcome to join us anywhere along the route, so if you want to meet us at Cracker Barrel or just want to race RC cars, let me know.

TNCRMPT 10-26-2007 02:40 PM

Posted on www.milwaukeeMINIS.com now. TN

BSUCardinalfan 11-02-2007 08:34 AM

Well, I've had ZERO replies so far....

but I'm still planning on this drive, even if it is just me!:lol:

200-OK 11-02-2007 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan (Post 1839979)
Well, I've had ZERO replies so far....

but I'm still planning on this drive, even if it is just me!:lol:

I just sent an RSVP. Sounds like fun...

-Ed

BSUCardinalfan 11-06-2007 06:56 PM

More people needed!

Only a few RSVPs so far. If I don't have a few more by Thursday, we'll push the timetable back 30 minutes and go after the slot car place is open.

Either way, we're going!:thumbsup:

AutoXCooper.com 11-07-2007 03:26 PM

The Chicago 7 Weather is saying the rain is not moving in till Monday. :thumbsup:

SUNDAY will be DRY AND SUNNY! :)

Plus I have something NEW for you all to drool over. :razz:

BSUCardinalfan 11-07-2007 05:34 PM

Because of the low number of RSVPs, we're moving the timetable back just a bit - so that we get to Gurnee after everything is open.

New Timetable:
Meet at I-94/College Park and Ride: 8:15
Arrive Cracker Barrel: 9
Arrive Gurnee Mills: 10:45
Slot Car Racing: 11:15 or so

plus this will make it a little easier for some of the Chicago folks to make it to Kenosha!

Please still send RSVPs if you plan on coming, just so I know how many people to look for.

BSUCardinalfan 11-10-2007 09:57 AM

Any last minute decisions, just show up at one of the locations at the time above.

The more the merrier!

mauberley 11-11-2007 09:30 PM

Thanks to Travis and Ana for setting this up! I had fun, even if I could only complete seven laps on the track. Good thing we didn't have the "loser gets saddled with the 1-year-old" bet going. :)

I think we should definitely get ice skating on the agenda at some point.

BSUCardinalfan 11-12-2007 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by mauberley (Post 1857823)
Good thing we didn't have the "loser gets saddled with the 1-year-old" bet going. :)

I think we should definitely get ice skating on the agenda at some point.

yeah, I won the last race, yet, somehow, I lost:lol:

you DID lose to a six year old girl on the last one too, though!:)

mauberley 11-12-2007 09:09 AM

Eh, I had no illusions of awesomeness. :)

BSUCardinalfan 11-15-2007 07:34 PM

Here is a link to our photos. Although I'm not happy with our 'new' digital camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8154601...7603202691641/

ernesto 11-16-2007 05:20 PM

I'm not happy with our 'new' digital camera
The flash on your camera was quite a suprise while we were driving!!