Mid-Atlantic Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania

Love my Mini, need major repairs

Old 08-04-2018, 08:39 AM
aygarrou
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love my Mini, need major repairs

I have a 2008 Clubman (not an S). At 75K miles, it needed a new catalytic converter. It also needs another $2300 in repairs (electrical, brakes . . .). I've still been driving it; now it has 77,300 miles.
SEE ATTACHED LIST OF REPAIR ESTIMATES.
I can't afford the $4,500 or more in repairs, but also can't buy a new car. Despite everything, I love my Mini and would like to keep it.
I live in central VA. I'm an expert college counselor and I'd be willing to negotiate free college guidance in exchange for car repair.
Or, at least, could someone tell me if the prices for these repairs are reasonable? The cat repair isn't on here, but it's been estimated at approx. $2,000-$2,300.
Thank you.

Attached Files
Old 08-05-2018, 06:51 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like some good schooling advice would be to become a mini mechanic! I can't help you, but hope you find a creative solution to getting your mini in tip-top shape.

The following users liked this post:
aygarrou (08-05-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 07:22 AM
Tom516
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aygarrou
I have a 2008 Clubman (not an S). At 75K miles, it needed a new catalytic converter. It also needs another $2300 in repairs (electrical, brakes . . .). I've still been driving it; now it has 77,300 miles.
SEE ATTACHED LIST OF REPAIR ESTIMATES.
I can't afford the $4,500 or more in repairs, but also can't buy a new car. Despite everything, I love my Mini and would like to keep it.
I live in central VA. I'm an expert college counselor and I'd be willing to negotiate free college guidance in exchange for car repair.
Or, at least, could someone tell me if the prices for these repairs are reasonable? The cat repair isn't on here, but it's been estimated at approx. $2,000-$2,300.
Thank you.
Are both your headlights damaged? AC not working? Front bumper core support broken/bent? There are a couple things here that sound goofy to me... For example swapping out both headlights doesn't take two hours but that is likely their default estimate. Also they want 6hrs of labor to remove the front bumper and replace the core support.... I'm not buying that. I have an 03 so I don't know exactly how long it takes to remove and replace the front bumper on your year but I can do it on my car in 20 minutes - if I take a 10 minute break...

If it were me, I would do all that I could do on my own from their list. Also if you're on a budget get tested used parts. Headlights are really easy to do on your own. The brakes are pretty easy as well, there are a bunch of youtube videos you can watch - but if you don't have tools you're dead in the water.

How bad is the damage?

Old 08-06-2018, 12:32 PM
aygarrou
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply.
Headlights: Not visibly damaged, although I've gotten the damage indicator light on the steering column since May, when these repair estimates were done.
AC: Correct; it is not working and hasn't worked since October 2017.
Front bumper, etc bent: It doesn't appear to be bent.

These three things are, they said, due to someone probably hitting my car, though I didn't have an accident unless someone hit it while it was parked and I wasn't in the car. This is possible, since I lived in DC at the time and parallel-parked it frequently, but still it puzzling.

Unfortunately I don't know how to do car repair at all, so I won't be able to do it myself--at least, I've never tried it. I'm not sure if a novice could do these things without any tools; is it possible I could fix the headlights just by watching videos? Brakes, no; I couldn't do those.
I appreciate the advice about getting tested used parts. Do you have suggestions for where I could find these?
Thank you!

Old 08-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Tom516
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For you light bulb warning you can check the following:
Headlight bulbs (Low beam/high beam behavior for both bulbs. Total: 2 bulbs)
Front fog lights (Both bulbs. Total: 2 bulbs)
Front parking lights (Above the front fog lights. Total: 2 bulbs)
All bulbs on each tail light (4 bulbs on each tail light. Total: 8 bulbs)
Rear fog light bulb (Total: 1 bulb)
Both license plate bulbs (Total: 2 bulbs)

If you haven’t notice a bulb out, have a friend walk around your car with the various lights on. Headlights, brights, turn signals, fogs, brake lights and be sure to throw it in reverse to check the backup light. (Took this from a thread on here)

For the AC, based off the mechanics report it sounds like an electrical clip is broken - I would just pay them for that since it was the cheap cheapest item, I bet a local shop could do it for a fraction of the cost too.

For the front bumper, if it were my car and I couldn’t see any damage from an impact, not even a scuff, I wouldn’t be replacing anything.

For the brakes, I would take it to a local shop to save some bones. How bad are the brakes? Did they tell you? Front, rear or both?

aygarrou (08-08-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:09 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
As far as "electrical" goes any mechanic can do this so that would save you money by not going to the dealer. For most of this it honestly can be done by anyone even a novice. There are so many post of here and YouTube. There is a "how to" area at the top of this page with a lot of good exaplmples. I know it might seem hard or scary to to work on your car but doing brakes isn't scary or hard. I would do some of this, especially brakes myself or at least give it a shot. You can rent most tools from local auto parts store or buy basic tool sets. I just wouldn't throw doing it yourself out the window.

aygarrou (08-08-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:18 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Come to philly and i can do that much cheaper

Old 08-06-2018, 07:29 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A little advice: That shop doesn't look fancy, but it wouldn't hurt to take the car to a small paint & body shop for an estimate to repair the front end damage. And just confirm that it needs to be done, for that matter.

Also, both Mini dealers here have free service check-up days a couple times a year - you make an appointment and they check out your car for free in the hopes that you'll pay them to fix everything they find. That might be a way to get a free 2nd opinion. Or take it for an oil change and they'll do a free inspection.

If there's a Mini club (or maybe BMWCCA chapter) in your area, I bet you could meet someone at a meeting who would help with a brake install. It's a very common DIY project (but still a lot to tackle by yourself with no experience).

Best of luck!

aygarrou (08-08-2018)