North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Manitoba MINI Motoring Club (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/manitoba-mini-motoring-club-158/)
-   -   Welcome!!! Sign in here! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/manitoba-mini-motoring-club/69573-welcome-sign-in-here.html)

lotsie 05-24-2006 03:25 PM

This is great

Ok I'll start.
This is a very nice thing to see finally happen:thumbsup:

I've owned my MINI for close to 3 years now, and have been on NAM for over 2 years. It was getting kind of lonely around these parts.

But now we have a club, and a forum where we can get together and meet and discuss things.

I want to thank JCWGurl for all her work getting all this going:nod::grin::grin::grin:

Remember our plates say Friendly Manitoba, so wave at your fellow MINI owners:)

Mark
:cool:

JCWGurl 05-25-2006 09:22 AM

Welcome!!! Sign in here!

Hello all!

My name is Briget and chances are you're car has been tagged with a MMMC brochure or you've received a brochure from our local dealer (thanks to Ernie and the gang at MINI Winnipeg!). I'm so glad you're here!

My husband and I LOVE our MCS...his name is Rex! Mark is a real auto enthusiast and I think it has spread to me too :grin: ...these things are catchy! Go figure that he opened a Go-Kart Track (Speedworld Indoor Kart Track). What we enjoy most about our car is the joy we get in driving it. We both autocross the car with the Winnipeg Sports Car Club and hope to take some HPDE schools soon too!

This thread is just an introduction page so please include your name and maybe a little about yourself!

There will be a page dedicated to our upcoming events soon! Mark your calendars for July th or 16th for our first "official" event...a MINI TREASURE HUNT!:thumbsup: There will be lots of prizes too from a variety of sponsors!

ICEMAN 05-25-2006 10:16 AM

Hello All,
I'm JCWGurl's other half and I love our MINI. I have owned 30+ cars including some pretty quick cars and the MINI is the most fun I have ever had with a car. At present I own a modified Porsche 911 which is an intense experience, but it's the MINI that puts the biggest smile on my face. Briget and I have done a bunch of motorsports events and rally's with Rex and have always done well and had a great time. Our club's emphasis is on the motoring aspects of MINI ownership and I hope we will have a bunch of rally's, autocross and show&shines for every member to fully experience their MINI.

freeze 05-25-2006 04:37 PM

I have got to agree with Iceman. I've spent a lot of time riding motorcycles, but the JCW is the first car that really does it for me. Well, not quite true: I liked my daughter's MINI Cooper so much, it was the reason I traded in my old Toyota this Spring.

JCWGurl: I think you left out a date. What are the possible times for the Treasure Hunt?

ICEMAN 05-25-2006 11:11 PM

July 15th or 16th early morning to mid-afternoon.:)

lotsie 05-26-2006 06:24 AM

I'm hoping it could be the 16th:)

Mark

lotsie 05-29-2006 07:07 PM

Lets go here gang, step up, we don't bite:razz:

Mark

StLouieLo 05-29-2006 07:10 PM

Sorry can't make it that weekend but can I join your Club:thumbsup:

Lois:cool:

JCWGurl 05-29-2006 07:47 PM

Okay - it's a done deal!

The event will be Sunday, July 16th.

Registration at the MINI Winnipeg/Birchwood BMW dealership at 10a.m. - motoring by 11a.m.

The event will wrap up at 2p.m. at a location TBA.

Details will follow.

Keep an eye out in the mail late June for your "official" MINI Treasure Hunt Rally invitation!

Along with the invite will be a MMMC brochure so I would imagine the sign-up here will also increase :thumbsup: as the NAM site is listed as an invaluable resource!

I am looking for small prizes for drivers (Speedworld, Provencher IGA and MINI Winnipeg are all current donors!) so if you know anyone who might be interested in helping us out let me know so they can get some exposure in the invitation (deadline for submission June 14th).

WEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:grin:

JCWGurl 05-29-2006 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou

Of course! I hear you have an "in" with one of our first members :wink:
Welcome!!!

Revolver 05-30-2006 05:54 PM

Ok I'm in.

lotsie 05-30-2006 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou

You will be welcome with open arms:nod::wink::razz::grin:

Mark

kstrieby 06-13-2006 06:47 PM

Hey JCWGurl, this sounds like a lot of fun! I intend to be there! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Karl

kstrieby 06-13-2006 06:56 PM

OK, I have marked my calendar!

C U There :-)

Cheers,
Karl

ICEMAN 06-15-2006 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by kstrieby
OK, I have marked my calendar!

C U There :-)

Cheers,
Karl

Excellent, this is going to be sooo much fun :thumbsup:

kstrieby 07-06-2006 04:36 PM

What is it with some Winnipeg MINI owners, anyway?

Last weekend, I was driving alongside another red MINI, and the two of us passed another one going the opposite direction...

I'm like flashing lights, sticking my arm out the window and waving for all I'm worth, and these other folks were hunched over their steering wheels, staring straight ahead and refusing to wave back or anything...<sigh>

Sometimes I think Birchwood should "pre qualify" folks before letting them drive off the lot...

ICEMAN 07-07-2006 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by kstrieby
What is it with some Winnipeg MINI owners, anyway?

Last weekend, I was driving alongside another red MINI, and the two of us passed another one going the opposite direction...

I'm like flashing lights, sticking my arm out the window and waving for all I'm worth, and these other folks were hunched over their steering wheels, staring straight ahead and refusing to wave back or anything...<sigh>

Sometimes I think Birchwood should "pre qualify" folks before letting them drive off the lot...

I agree that MINI drivers should acknowledge each other but I don't think their indifference is limited to Manitoba. Just today, we were on the Perimeter and a Blue Cooper S with white bonnet stripes came up behind us and passed. I waved like crazy as he went by and he didn't look over or wave or anything, he was from Ontario.

JCWGurl 07-09-2006 07:32 AM

Well.. maybe the Manitoba MINI Motoring Club will be able to change that! We encourage waving:thumbsup:

....have a few new members who have joined up by telephone...but not on NAM yet:sly: They'll need to be converted lol

kstrieby 07-09-2006 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by JCWGurl
Well.. maybe the Manitoba MINI Motoring Club will be able to change that! We encourage waving:thumbsup:

....have a few new members who have joined up by telephone...but not on NAM yet:sly: They'll need to be converted lol

Cool! Maybe there is one among them I can beat at auto-x :razz:.

lotsie 07-09-2006 09:21 PM

I have had a MINI for 3 years now, geez times fly when your having fun:razz:. I don't get many waves from other MINIs, but those that do make up for the ones that don't.

Mark

kstrieby 07-12-2006 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by lot15
I have had a MINI for 3 years now, geez times fly when your having fun:razz:. I don't get many waves from other MINIs, but those that do make up for the ones that don't.

Mark

:roll: Well, that's one way to look at it! (I'm not arguing with you here, just enlarging the discussion...)

I'm on my 2nd MINI now (I recently traded in my '02 "Launch Edition" Indi Blue Cooper for my new Chili Red 06 edition...)

Our '02 summer vacation drive took us across the northern States to Montana and back, and wow, did that car attract a lot of attention along the way. It almost got a little tiresome after a while :wink:. Pull over for a pee break or a tank of gas, and answer a zillion questions...

Maybe I got somewhat spoiled by that experience. BMW-made MINIs were brand-new on the market, and almost as scarce as chicken lips. :grin:

Back then, EVERY MINI driver I saw waved, flashed lights, etc. when they saw me waving and flashing lights at them.

I think early-adopters of MINIs "got" the concept of things that go with being a MINI driver. Otherwise, they wouldn't have made the effort to procure one. :)

Nowadays, when you cruise past the lot at Birchwood and see a bunch of MINIs awaiting new owners, you can easily infer that they're letting just anybody who has the money buy one! :impatient The buzz of MINI ownership is fading, and it seems up to our new club to to get some of that back...

Since your MINI is in the repair shop, I'll make you a deal: if you would like to be my navigator for the upcoming "Treasure Hunt" rally, I think I could persuade my spouse to stay home. Let me know if you're interested in doing that!

Cindy_and_Charlie 07-19-2006 03:48 PM

new to club and forum, old to Mini

Thanks to all for organizing the club, the forum, the scavenger hunt, etc.

Cindy and I purchased our first Mini from Birchwood in the Autumn of 2002, on of the first on the lot. 2002 Cooper S, dark silver, Canadian flag on the subroof. Last weekend, just before the meet, we sold/donated the old Mini to our son. Cindy bought a brand new Red convertable; automatic, not an S, but a bunch of fun. This is a daily driver. The old S with sport suspension and 6 speed, was just a little harsh for her. My bad back has relegated me the the 'old man' car a 740il.

Cheers, Charlie and Cindy Goodman

ICEMAN 08-08-2006 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy_and_Charlie

Cindy and I purchased our first Mini from Birchwood in the Autumn of 2002, on of the first on the lot. 2002 Cooper S, dark silver, Canadian flag on the subroof. Last weekend, just before the meet, we sold/donated the old Mini to our son. Cindy bought a brand new Red convertable; automatic, not an S, but a bunch of fun. This is a daily driver. The old S with sport suspension and 6 speed, was just a little harsh for her. My bad back has relegated me the the 'old man' car a 740il.

I haven't seen another MINI in town with roof graphics, I'll be keeping my eyes open for a Canadian Flag. Here's our new graphics, watch for us around town(try to keep up ;) )
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...non/skull8.jpg

kstrieby 08-09-2006 07:48 PM

Way cool, Mark...where did you have that made? (If you don't mind telling...)

kstrieby 08-09-2006 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy_and_Charlie

Hmm, I think I saw your old car on the road a few days ago, waved to the driver but he wasn't paying attention...was that a cell phone I saw in his left hand? :eek:

My first MINI was a Indi Blue '02 Launch Edition Cooper, ordered from www.mini.ca in January, delivered to MINI Winnipeg in April. Had so much fun driving it that I traded it in on an '06 Cooper with just the options I wanted on it...the Launch Edition kind of sucked because it did not have cruise control...

Here's a photo of my first MINI at one of my favourite places in the world...http:///www.k-c-p.com/dontdelete/MtBidentMINI.jpg