Mad City MINI Mini and MINI enthusiasts in the Madison,WI area

Warranty coverage for catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:11 AM
emcbride
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty coverage for catalytic converter

Has anyone had any experience getting a catalytic converter replaced under federal warranty coverage (8 years/80,000 miles)? My 2004 Mini is making a tremendous rattle. When I brought it to the Mini of Madison dealership for their free winter checkup, I was told the "honeycomb" had separated. When I reminded them of the warranty, they "checked with the district rep," who said he would not authorize replacing it under warranty. I then contacted Mini/BMW customer relations and, getting back to me a week later, they said "It's not deemed defective. I can't elaborate on the technical information." When I asked to whom I should appeal this, they advised me to contact the dealership, which, of course, is where I started. (I think that's called a run-around.) I'm about to send a formal letter to Mini of Madison's service director with quotes from the EPA Fact Sheet.

Has anyone else had trouble with a cat under warranty? How was it resolved? Thanks for any experiences or advice you can share!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:19 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That isn't right... I can't speak for MINI, but our Subaru blew a weld on the cat and they replaced it under warranty at the 7 year mark. They didn't even bat an eyelash at it.

If the cat is falling apart, they need to replace it under the warranty if you are still running a stock exhaust this shouldn't have even been a question for them.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
I had a 2004 MCS and I received a letter from MiniUSA stating the cat's warranty was increased to 10 years/100,000 miles. I sold the Mini a few months ago and threw away the letter. I would contact MINIUSA and ask about your warranty.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
As per the US Government http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

What Are Specified Major Emission Control Components? There are three specified major emission control components, covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995 and newer vehicles: * Catalytic converters. * The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU). * The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).

Print it out and take it to the dealer.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:47 PM
grgramps
4th Gear
I wonder if the EPA addresses the issue of a catcon that rattles? If the only issue is a measure of pollutants that pass, then a rattle may be considered acceptable. Nevertheless, I wouldn't want to have to listen to that.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:48 AM
emcbride
Neutral
The federal emissions warranty lists two separate circumstances for replacement: (1) failing an emissions test (which Wisconsin doesn't require), and (2) a defective part. My belief is that if the honeycomb separates within the 8 year warranty period, that's a defective part (and also reason to believe that the cat is not performing properly). I am going to enclose the EPA Fact Sheet about all this in a letter to the service manager at Zimbrick Mini so that I have a paper trail. I am really disappointed in the Mini-Cooper folks though--local and national. If Zimbrick doesn't come through, I'll never take it there again for service. And I'll never buy another Mini.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Don't let a dealership take away your fun. If they turn you down, go to another dealer.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:20 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
Don't let a dealership take away your fun. If they turn you down, go to another dealer.
You said you contacted MINI USA and they said it is not defective, did you ask them to explain to you how a seperated honeycomb is not defective? I hate to say it, but if they don't budge, I would contact a lawyer.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:19 PM
emcbride
Neutral
I asked the customer relations person I was dealing with for an explanation and she said she couldn't give me the technical details, "she was just customer relations." Then I asked for an explanation in writing and she said she couldn't give me anything in writing. Then I asked for the name of another person I could speak to who could give me an explanation and she told me to contact the dealership. Like I said--a runaround. So I figure I'll follow the EPA process. They say to go to the dealership first and get a written explanation of a denial and the name of someone with the manufacturer to appeal to. If my claim is still denied, I can appeal to the EPA.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:31 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by emcbride
I asked the customer relations person I was dealing with for an explanation and she said she couldn't give me the technical details, "she was just customer relations." Then I asked for an explanation in writing and she said she couldn't give me anything in writing. Then I asked for the name of another person I could speak to who could give me an explanation and she told me to contact the dealership. Like I said--a runaround. So I figure I'll follow the EPA process. They say to go to the dealership first and get a written explanation of a denial and the name of someone with the manufacturer to appeal to. If my claim is still denied, I can appeal to the EPA.
Sounds like you are on the right path. Sadly MINI customer relations has really started to slip over the last few years. Can't say this about Subaru, they have been top notch!

Old 12-31-2011, 05:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by daflake
Sounds like you are on the right path. Sadly MINI customer relations has really started to slip over the last few years. Can't say this about Subaru, they have been top notch!
When toyota took control from fuji heavy industries, many folks wondered...
Good to hear they are mataining the brand as it was..
to the op, keep up the fight..check to see if the regional rep can look...get everything in writing....in part to scare them, but also to document and make a paper trail...check tge miles...get a second, maybe a third dealer to look....some mini owners seem to be pretty bad when it comes to warrentt work...in my area we are blessed with a good dealer...bmw/mini is their lowest end cars...porche, bently, or lambogini anybody?!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 AM
emcbride
Neutral
Good news about my catalytic converter. I sent a certified letter to the service manager at Mini of Madison. I included a copy of the EPA Fact Sheet about the federally mandated emissions control warranty, with the relevant sections highlighted. I also asked for an explanation in writing if my claim was denied, along with the name of the person making the decision. These are things that the EPA requires in that circumstance. The service manager intervened on my behalf, talked to the Mini reps, and got it covered. This restores my faith in Zimbrick Autos, from which I previously bought three Honda Civics and have used consistently for service. However, I'm not feeling great about the national Mini folks. But I now have a quiet car.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Glad to hear it worked out.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Nice to hear it!!
Sticking to your guns can be worth it at times!!
Glad the dealer did not say car was modded with a pulley, and hense the warrenty was voided...or something along those lines.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 AM
daflake
6th Gear
It is nice to hear. You shouldn't have had to do all of that but I am glad they made it right.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 AM
SusanWB
Neutral
Davester - Is there anything else you can tell me about the 10 year 10000 mile warranty extension on the cat converter? My 2004 was just diagnosed with honeycomb separation. I wrote MiniUSA, but no response.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DAVESTER
I had a 2004 MCS and I received a letter from MiniUSA stating the cat's warranty was increased to 10 years/100,000 miles. I sold the Mini a few months ago and threw away the letter. I would contact MINIUSA and ask about your warranty.
As stated above, I sold the MINI nine months ago and I just do not recall verbatim of what was in the letter. I just don't know why MINI USA or your dealer would not give you any information about this.
Good luck

Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SusanWB
Davester - Is there anything else you can tell me about the 10 year 10000 mile warranty extension on the cat converter? My 2004 was just diagnosed with honeycomb separation. I wrote MiniUSA, but no response.

What did the dealer say?

Old 12-10-2018, 07:38 PM
jimmybuffett
Neutral
Bumping this old thread !
i have a 2010 Mini s @74k
the motor overheated and I had the dealer replaced the motor a few months ago , now the check engine light comes on and it’s the Cat and I am just starting to feel a decline in performance and can smell the exhaust . I never heard of the 10 year / 100k warranty - anyone else able to give me additional details or direction in getting the dealer to cover the replacement
dealer is habberstad in Huntington Ny
thanks Tom