JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW GP Disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:48 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW GP Disappointing

Looks like no surprises out of Geneva. Only 218hp and 110lbs lighter. At 230hp/-200lbs (and at least a minimal rear seat), I would have been very interested. Being able to delete AC and DSC is nice, but... no cigar.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:57 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XAlfa
Looks like no surprises out of Geneva. Only 218hp and 110lbs lighter. At 230hp/-200lbs (and at least a minimal rear seat), I would have been very interested. Being able to delete AC and DSC is nice, but... no cigar.
Isnt that exactly what everyone has been saying for months?

IMHO, come Jan, 2006, say in 11 months, many will be sitting in lots, unsold.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:03 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by chows4us
Isnt that exactly what everyone has been saying for months?

IMHO, come Jan, 2006, say in 11 months, many will be sitting in lots, unsold.
I was holding out hope for a surprise announcement at Geneva.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Call me a fish but I like to swim upstream. Maybe in 11 months I'll bite .

Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 PM
RCristiano
5th Gear
A lot of money for a MINI..... I'm just sayin'...

Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mini is testing a Carbon Fiber roof locally , maby it will find its way to the GP car. At this point is really needs all the help it can get if they want to make it special at all. So far not so special IMO.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-22-2006, 04:26 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Maybe its the youth in me. I really like it. It is very unique...kind of like the MINI all know and love.

Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 AM
TulsaMINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Maybe its the youth in me. I really like it. It is very unique...kind of like the MINI all know and love.
I think it looks great. But is it going to be "unique" like an MC40 is "unique"?

And what does GP stand for anyway?

Old 02-22-2006, 08:47 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TulsaMINI
I think it looks great. But is it going to be "unique" like an MC40 is "unique"?

I beleive in this case GP stands for GROSS PROFIT

Randy
m7 Tuning

Old 02-22-2006, 08:50 AM
amg6975
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TulsaMINI
I would think Grand Prix... but maybe not, I dunno.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:36 PM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
It must be an age thing, but I think it's grotesquely "riced-out" (no racial offense meant with the descriptor). It could have been so much better...

Old 02-22-2006, 02:45 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gr8britwjh
It must be an age thing, but I think it's grotesquely "riced-out" (no racial offense meant with the descriptor). It could have been so much better...
I agree

I think the wing is nice.....Or if you don't like the looks....At least it is truly functional unlike those piece of crap hondas sporting a 3ft indy wing

BUT..... The arches should either be painted to match the bumpers and skirts OR the black trim should extend to the bumpers and skirts like on the original AERO kit. It makes it look like an amateur body kit add-on thant dont belong.

Secondly, 8hp and is all they could find?.....Not Impressed! 110lbs is not a bad weight drop but I can yank my rear seat out and drop 40lbs for free!

Old 02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Aviators
3rd Gear
not just you, I can't be THAT old yet...

Old 02-23-2006, 12:53 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it!

I have no idea why this car seems to get such bad reactions. I, for one, love it, and wish I was in a position to buy one. A factory 218 bhp MINI? Wicked.

Check out the video just released: http://motoringfile.com/2006/02/22/j...video-footage/

Gotta love that supercharger whine!!!

And by the way, yes, I do love the wheels, seriously. Most Miniacs seem to hate them. So if you buy one, and decide to take those wheels off, let me know, you might have someone to buy them off you!

Old 02-23-2006, 01:01 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
I wouldn't spend this much money on a mini anyway, but I mainly just wish they'd spent more effort integrating the sideskirts and front bumper with the fender flares - or at very least painted everything on the car.

As it is, it looks like a cheap aftermarket bodykit. I like the looks of the front bumper, but shots like this just make you wonder why that one (two) strip of molding over the front wheel is black...

Old 02-23-2006, 01:06 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JeffS
I wouldn't spend this much money on a mini anyway, but I mainly just wish they'd spent more effort integrating the sideskirts and front bumper with the fender flares - or at very least painted everything on the car.

As it is, it looks like a cheap aftermarket bodykit. I like the looks of the front bumper, but shots like this just make you wonder why that one (two) strip of molding over the front wheel is black...

Originally Posted by planeguy
I agree

I think the wing is nice.....Or if you don't like the looks....At least it is truly functional unlike those piece of crap hondas sporting a 3ft indy wing

BUT..... The arches should either be painted to match the bumpers and skirts OR the black trim should extend to the bumpers and skirts like on the original AERO kit. It makes it look like an amateur body kit add-on thant dont belong.

Secondly, 8hp and is all they could find?.....Not Impressed! 110lbs is not a bad weight drop but I can yank my rear seat out and drop 40lbs for free!
EXACTLY....looks like you got your brother to put on a JC whitney body kit

Old 02-23-2006, 01:18 PM
rjmann
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS

No offense to anyone who likes this color combo, but it certainly doesn't help my impression of the car. Lose the red mirrors please! The wierd side pod wing and the fog lamp mount make the car look as if it has contracted some automotive form of elephantitis. "I am not an animal, I AM a MINI!"

Have to agree this doesn't have the look of a well thought out aero kit, regardless of whether it is or isn't. I like the sound of the thing, but not enough to overcome the look. Seems completely disjointed as if it were a designed by a commitee (of Bangles).

Old 02-23-2006, 01:18 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Hopefully there will be a bunch of them sitting around unsold with huge discounts soon, that way I'll trade my car in for one, fit standard aerokit sideskirts, paint the arches and mirror caps and have a decent looking MINI.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:38 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
I have no idea why this car seems to get such bad reactions. I, for one, love it, and wish I was in a position to buy one. A factory 218 bhp MINI? Wicked.

Check out the video just released: http://motoringfile.com/2006/02/22/j...video-footage/

Gotta love that supercharger whine!!!
??? Just more crap. 8HP? doubt you will feel it. SC whine? doesnt yours sound like that now? I know Alta is always whining but thats just the JCW box open. Exhaust is muted as in all JCW exhausts. Maybe Randy's exhaust would make it sound better?

Wait until Jan, 07. You will get one for a discount at your local dealer.

Caveat: Of course, this is just another opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
not impressesd.....at least not favorably

Old 02-23-2006, 04:05 PM
crazyaboutmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Hopefully there will be a bunch of them sitting around unsold with huge discounts soon, that way I'll trade my car in for one, fit standard aerokit sideskirts, paint the arches and mirror caps and have a decent looking MINI.
well that aero kit is suppose to make the car more slippier throught the air, so if your going to replace them your actually going to decrease the performance of the GP so function before form here... and come on guys, if you do the match the GP will even have a better power/weight ratio than the honda's priced dc5 type r which i believe can spank a mcs anytime! i don't know if you guys know, but that has to be the best track ready front drive car that came straight from the factory ever. so there, drive the thing before you start hating the thing.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:22 PM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
Sorry, but on the track or off the track (unless you're a professional driver, which I'm guessing you're not), you're not going to feel much of a performance difference between the GP and a similarly equipped MCS-JCW; sad, but true.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:46 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Sorry, but on the track or off the track (unless you're a professional driver, which I'm guessing you're not), you're not going to feel much of a performance difference between the GP and a similarly equipped MCS-JCW; sad, but true.
Exactly what I was trying to say

Old 02-23-2006, 05:02 PM
crazyaboutmini
4th Gear
remember how many people were so happy that they ditch the heavy stock rims, well that plus many more pounds. because of numerous posts of that, i'm sure many people will notice the 100lbs less and especially when tossing the car around. and i'm sorry, i never said i was a prof race car driver (i don't recall ever saying or implying that, but i wished i was back when i was 5 years old though ).

Old 02-23-2006, 05:08 PM
BartMack
6th Gear
I like the paint color... Thunder Blue is it called?

About the red accents, I feel either do it or dont do it, meaning there is not enough red accent color elswhere on the outside to warrant red mirrors- they just look cobbled on to me. If they made some other bits red on the outside, I'd understand it more.

Ditto on the aerokit/black arches thing, but I think they're skittish on doing oem body colored arches so they dont open a factory 'Pandora's Box', meaning people will start asking for color coded arches on regular MCS's... just a gut feeling.

All in all they should have combined this performance with the MC40 looks IMO!

Quick Reply: JCW GP Disappointing