JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

To JCW or Not...Pt.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 05:35 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets not forget, the JCW folks use 210 bhp as a peak, OPTIMAL, hp rating. This is a forced induction car whos output suffers is less than ideal conditions. The JCW kit was doged by some because it did not produce the 210 - 207bhp as advetised on their dyno during at a time when conditions may not have been favorable. The same is true driving to and from work or anywhere for that matter; atmospheric conditions alter output. And dyno numbers as we all know, can walk hand-in-hand with fudge...

Our after-market vendors will suffer the same fate.

I for one am very happy with this kit. It performs flawlessly in everyway. It should not, however, cost $5,000.00. The engine, suspension and brakes should be available for that price.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:43 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meb
I for one am very happy with this kit. It performs flawlessly in everyway. It should not, however, cost $5,000.00. The engine, suspension and brakes should be available for that price.
I agree, but even at $5k I think the price would still be too high. As of now, the engine and brakes alone are $7700 from the factory. (JCW + "required" Sport package) Realistically, a "Performance Package" of engine, brake and suspension upgrades for a car that cost $21k should be in the range of $3k max. We are being brutally raped, but we seem to enjoy it.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:49 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by XAlfa
I agree, but even at $5k I think the price would still be too high. As of now, the engine and brakes alone are $7700 from the factory. (JCW + "required" Sport package) Realistically, a "Performance Package" of engine, brake and suspension upgrades for a car that cost $21k should be in the range of $3k max. We are being brutally raped, but we seem to enjoy it.
Forgive my ignorance on the current factory-installed pricing: Is it the same as the dealer bolt-on kit?

If so, it should not be. The justification for the cost of the kit has always been the installation time. If the parts are now just being installed on the assembly line, the cost of the kit should drop accordingly.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:17 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by XAlfa
I, for one, have always taken my reamings like a man!

Old 12-02-2005, 09:39 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by Skiploder
Forgive my ignorance on the current factory-installed pricing: Is it the same as the dealer bolt-on kit?

If so, it should not be. The justification for the cost of the kit has always been the installation time. If the parts are now just being installed on the assembly line, the cost of the kit should drop accordingly.
You would think so, and it could be argued that this is the case. Factory JCW kit (engine + brakes+LSD) is $6300, but requires at least the Sport Package at $1400 for a total of $7700. The cost of the factory kit (which, again, you cannot purchase alone) at $6300 is roughly equal to full retail on the parts for the engine kit ($4500) and brakes ($1100), plus the LSD option ($500). But... the price of the "required" Sport Package at $1400 comes pretty close to the installation labor cost. Cheapest route to go (if you don't want the JCW brakes) would be base S plus LSD with a dealer installed JCW engine kit.