JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

More JCW scam crap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 12:29 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone is shedding light and I think the involvment is great.

19% pulleys are apparently failing at the race track, conditions quite different from my daily drive. However, this causes me to approach the 19% pulley with care.

And while I agree with some of your thinking, all vehicles are not the same; all the ancillary equipment is different. So I view the Lightning as the Lightning and the Mini as the Mini. I personally would never cross think similar compressors with two different applications.

That's a very fast truck!

Cioa,

Michael

Old 01-18-2005, 01:16 PM
MiniMe05
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree 100%, very different machines. However the compressors themselves are very similar in confirguration. Obviously the M112 is larger (112ci vs 45ci) however the rotor packs, bearings, and coatings are the same configuration. I hope to have a Mini S/C in my hands soon. I have the ability to measure the output at various rpms. This is a bench test of the compressor only, no motor, no I/C. The equipment has the ability to spin it well beyond anything anyone could possible see on the track. Since this is a somewhat static test the discharge temps will not be the same as an actual running motor. However they will still show temp increases as the rpm's increase. It will be very easy to determine where the unit become inefficient.

From there I will disasemble the compressor and port the case. The re-test to evaluate the results.

Originally Posted by meb
Everyone is shedding light and I think the involvment is great.

19% pulleys are apparently failing at the race track, conditions quite different from my daily drive. However, this causes me to approach the 19% pulley with care.

And while I agree with some of your thinking, all vehicles are not the same; all the ancillary equipment is different. So I view the Lightning as the Lightning and the Mini as the Mini. I personally would never cross think similar compressors with two different applications.

That's a very fast truck!

Cioa,

Michael

Old 01-18-2005, 05:23 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by meb
Again let's not take this too far. Several $20 belts have broken. Not that breaking a belt is no big deal at all. It's an inconvenience at the very least. But you make it sound like superchargers or engines are blowing. And this is not the case.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:41 AM
meb
6th Gear
You make a very valid point Greatgro. At times I am too busy too write a careful, thoughtful, response...sorry.

Couple of thoughts here; I would like to move the thinking in this thread to another title. So, I will begin another thread today regarding 'pulleys and things related'

Also, and this is a statement as well as a question. As a group we should be able to get together with manufacturers regarding after-market components. For example, if 19% pulleys are causing belt failure, then we need to request a different belt design from the pulley manufacturer or other manufacturers who understand the additional stress loads.

There is great persuasive power in a group such as ours. When a product, either stock or otherwise, doesn't meet with our expectations we should be able to exert some influence on manufacturers. We also need to let them know when 'things' work.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:44 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Meb at the rate you put on miles won't you be out of warrenty milage wise is a rather short time? I would think you would have the freedom do do as you please in rather short order. What is your warrenty package ? On a side note it appears that no one has made the 19% work in a track situation. That is something that bears looking into. I will post what we find out about solving that issue when I can.

Randy

www.m7tuning.com

Old 01-20-2005, 08:51 AM
meb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
Meb at the rate you put on miles won't you be out of warrenty milage wise is a rather short time? I would think you would have the freedom do do as you please in rather short order. What is your warrenty package ? On a side note it appears that no one has made the 19% work in a track situation. That is something that bears looking into. I will post what we find out about solving that issue when I can.

Randy

www.m7tuning.com
I will be out of warranty very soon indeed. So I will have the freedom to do what I please. I just need to weigh the risks, and I don't know what they are yet; I"m relying on information from 'others'. I would like to learn more about the car - its strengths and weakness and then modify. I might be a bit more anxious if it were summer too.

According to info above, the belt appears to be the weak link??? And/or is the stock tensioner allowing the belt to vibrate/ocillate to failure?

Ciao,

Michael