North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   JCW Garage (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage-429/)
-   -   JCW Upgraded FMIC on the jcw. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage/339245-upgraded-fmic-on-the-jcw.html)

G26okie 05-25-2019 10:56 AM

Upgraded FMIC on the jcw.

Data and reviews on upgraded FMICs for the jcw seem to be pretty limited with most info out there for the cooper S.

Right now I'm looking at the Forge and Airtec.

I like the Forge because they have a great reputation and I've read several reviews on it saying it fits perfect.

I also like the airtec because it's a little cheaper and I can get it in silver. But info on it's fitment or ability to cool BATs seem non-existent.

Anyone have anything to share?

hadjiikong 05-26-2019 08:37 AM

I have the Airtec on my F56 and it is a great unit. I had no issues at all with fitment and my temps are lower. I also had a Forge on my R56 and can say the same, it fits perfect and the temps were lower. I know Airtec does have a bad name on this forum sometimes but I had no issues with mine at all.

G26okie 05-26-2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by hadjiikong (Post 4471995)
I have the Airtec on my F56 and it is a great unit. I had no issues at all with fitment and my temps are lower. I also had a Forge on my R56 and can say the same, it fits perfect and the temps were lower. I know Airtec does have a bad name on this forum sometimes but I had no issues with mine at all.

Thanks for the info, you say airtec has a bad name on this forum, do you know why? I've seen comments here and there that it cooled worse than stock but no one had any data on it.

Anyone else? Hows the Wagner tube/fin compare?

WayMotorWorks 05-26-2019 02:33 PM

I have to say I like the Forge as I've installed several already and they fit so perfect which we find to be VERY important on the Gen 3 cars due to how the radiator sits with the intercooler so you can't go wrong with the Forge.
Hard to get data on them as most people don't data log their intake temps before and after. I've done some test and seen an average of 5-6 deg drops from stock at standard cruise speed which you can feel as it is like a 10hp gain. Also the recovery from stop to go is quicker and hard to log as it's more of a in the pants and experience feel.

I've been running the Forge on both my personal cars too.

vetsvette 05-26-2019 04:40 PM

I've been happy with my Helix unit.

G26okie 05-26-2019 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4472076)
I've been happy with my Helix unit.

Yeah I've heard good things, unfortunately they don't make one for the jcw.

nclorax 05-28-2019 09:32 AM

Recommend the Forge. great product.

normtrum 05-28-2019 02:25 PM

I would also recommend the Forge. Perfect fit with my '16 JCW. Less important to most, but important to me is the fact that it's black. With my Midnight Black color and my efforts to "blackout" my car, I really like having a black FMIC. Silver would look kind of off IMO.

charrigan 05-30-2019 09:20 PM

The Wagner is amazing and they are very transparent with datalogs. Personally for a comparable price I would do Wagner over Forge.

bluonyx 05-30-2019 09:24 PM

I have my Forge sitting in the box right now cause I also ordered a Duell AG Front Spoiler and I waiting for it to get here. Since I have to take the bumper off, I figure I might as well do everything that involves those areas.

G26okie 06-13-2019 03:55 AM

I went with the Forge and had my shop install.

Quality from what I can tell behind the bumper looks excellent. With squared fins that are staggered or offset so air just doesn't pass straight through.

Being all black, it's not noticable at all behind the grill. I haven't checked temps, but I'm sure it could only help things here in hot South Florida.

Car seems to run excellent with the fmic and dinan elite.

Clutch Wotan 06-13-2019 04:35 AM

It would be interesting to see the new cooling array from the B48E in nature. The cooling side is good for 310 hp and thats on a heayweight automatic !

So the respective 8-645-765 for around 350 Euros quite a bargin, of course with full garanty. I see a even better JCW core with wider dia.
As the fan shroud stays the same the cores might be depper.

Its also interesting if the 180-oilcooler for the transmission could be used as oilcooler in general, to further unstress the system.

663 06-27-2019 02:10 PM

you will really notice an upgraded IC when running long periods of time on a warm or hot day; heat soak will be greatly reduced. on short runs, the IAT drop from just an aftermarket IC will be around 4°F, 6° at the upper limit. with the Eventuri intake and an upgraded IC, i've seen those temps drop 12°F on acceleration, with half of those degrees resulting from a Forge IC. the stock IC performs exceptionally well considering its size and construction. but, it pales in comparison to the Forge, which is a big beast and also fit perfectly. for real IAT drop, you'll need to make a bung or use the Forge pipes which have one installed already, and spray some methanol. water temp can be brought down via a tune.