JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW R58 JCW tuning kit install issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 04:46 AM
916WI
Neutral
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
R58 JCW tuning kit install issues

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, but used the site to research R58 coupes before buying one a couple of months ago. I bought a clean black/black coupe with the N18 a couple of months ago. Love the way it drives and paid it off immediately, so even though it didn't make financial sense, I spent the money and bought the JCW brake kit and the JCW tuning kit. Both were to be installed by my local BMW/MINI dealership within a day--drop it off in the am and pick it up in the pm. That was going on 2 weeks ago. The mechanical parts are all installed, the issue is the tuning software. The dealership cannot get it to load, they then reached out to MINI in New Jersey--who also couldn't get it to load. Then it was sent to BMW in Germany who also couldn't get it to load. Apparently there is another car with the same problem that they are also working on. The dealership service advisor has been really good with providing updates, but now he just wants me to come and get the car after they get done reloading the original software and bring it back after BMW has come up with a software fix. He said it could take a couple of weeks. The intake/exhaust and exhaust manifold have been installed. The total on that was supposed to be $2475--I guess the SA didn't realize that the exhaust manifold was part of the kit, but he held to his initial quote on the kit/install--which was very cool. I bought the brake kit right after I bought the car and he quoted me $600 in labor to install that. I bought the MINI tuning kit because I thought it was plug and play--drop it off and a couple of hours later have it back without issue. It has been anything but--The dealership is over an hour away, so it's not easy to get all of this situated. I have no issue paying for the brake kit install labor, but covering the cost of the tuning kit is another matter. My guess is that they are going to want full payment before releasing the car. I was thinking of paying $1000 towards it and the remainder if/when they are able to get the software loaded. What do you guys think? At this point, I'm going to have to take another morning off to run the car back there--just wish I wouldn't have gone down this road. The car was running great before all of this........