JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Work on my 06 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Work on my 06 JCW

Hello NAM!

Finally got my Mini back from the shop today! It has been almost an entire month! I have been agonizing over it because this is the first time in my life that I have lived somewhere I can not work on my own car. I have had to relinquish control and trust someone else to do the work. Luckily, I found a really good shop with some awesome techs!

Anyway, I have been reading a lot of the build threads and I like seeing what others are doing to their cars. So, I wanted to post what I have had done so far…

Car: 2006 R53 JCW with 147,000 miles

Work -

Under the hood:
Complete timing set replacement (all components, seals and gaskets)
Supercharger oil change
New water pump (since the SC was off)
New serpentine belt tensioner assembly
MSD Coil
Magnecor Wire Set
NGK Iridium Plugs (standard heat range)
Forge Silicone Intake Hose
K&N Air FIlter (RU-3130 Universal Cone)
“Flap Mod” done to the airbox
Silicone Radiator Hoses
DDMWorks Intercooler Diverter
DDMWorks Silicone Intercooler Boots
VIP Custom Engine Stabilizer

Transmission:
Solid Flywheel Conversion
“Street” Performance Clutch
Complete Oil Change
Cravenspeed Adjustable Short Throw Shifter
Cravenspeed Shift Well Cover
Raceseng “Slammer” Shift ****

Suspension:
Madness Motorworks Complete Polyurethane Busing Kit
Progress 22mm Rear Swaybar
Megan Racing Euro Springs
Koni “Orange” STR Shocks and Struts
I did order the “Stage III Suspension Kit” from M7, but I found out after ordering it that it is back ordered and won’t ship until June!!!! Totally sucks!

Interior:
Kenwood Bluetooth Head Unit
JCW Logo Floor Mats (got them from a local guy who stopped me in the Publix parking lot and told me he had them!)
Schroth Pro-Quick Fit Harness (on driver’s side)

Exterior:
LEAP Omicron Hood Scoop (I like it cause it looks so aggressive!)
Factory Rally Light Kit (driving lights? The two that go on the front bumper)
Lower Mesh Grill
I am also working on a guy who has a complete front Aero bumper in his garage. He doesn’t want to let it go, but I am hoping to wear him down and eventually score it…

And that is it so far. Once the suspension kit ships from M7, I will get it installed. There is a local car club that does sponsored Autocross events the last Tuesday of every month here in Asheville. Can’t wait to get the Mini on the track. I was running around on the mountain roads before the Mini went into the shop. I am super curious to see how much of a difference all the work has made in the car!

Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Congrats as that is a ton of work and now it will be a totally different car.

It's likely a blessing that the suspension kit is out of stock as we have removed more of those USS braces than installed as they always rattle and come out of the body as they easily pull out of the sheet metal. Also they just don't really do much in the way of actually stiffening the car as they follow the subframe too much, and the rear brace isn't needed.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Oh no! Seriously?!? Man, that kit came highly recommended by a guy here in town who has it on his 05! He said it made a huge difference.

Well, you have given me something to think about. I definitely don't want any rattling! Or to have it pull out of where it is mounted. Thank you for the heads up!

Old 04-15-2019, 04:45 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Jaughn -

That's like the guy that put louder exhaust on his car and all of a sudden, it was much faster. When in reality...it wasn't.
Because it freed up so much more flow, it needed more fuel to ACTUALLY...run better. But because of the extra sound, it was automatically faster..!

I can't tell you how much money I made on this type guy, re-tuning his engine to actually take advantage of the new exhaust.

Mike

Old 04-15-2019, 06:37 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaughn
Oh no! Seriously?!? Man, that kit came highly recommended by a guy here in town who has it on his 05! He said it made a huge difference.

Well, you have given me something to think about. I definitely don't want any rattling! Or to have it pull out of where it is mounted. Thank you for the heads up!
I have a couple of them in the warehouse that are bent and one was tore out of the body if you want a really good deal on one.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-16-2019, 04:39 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Well, my original plan was just to do some preventive maintenance stuff so the Mini would run and be reliable. I was able to get such a good deal on all the extra parts from the shop that is doing the work, I just decided to go ahead and pull the trigger and do everything that I wanted to. I have been saving money up for a awhile in order to do it, so I figured "What the heck?"

Old 04-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Ugh, just realized you were talking about the suspension kit! Duh, so obvious now!

Yeah, I printed out the pics of the components when they are installed and took them into the the shop and showed Daniel. The first thing he said was "What are they supposed to do that isn't being done?" I told him the company says they supposedly stiffen up the front of the chassis. He pointed out where there is already factory bracing in those areas that he would have to remove in order to put the new components on! So, yeah, gotta agree with Way Motor Works on this one, probably a blessing they aren't shipping for months on end!

I am, however, hoping that they thicker rear sway bar makes a big difference in cornering...

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (04-17-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:26 PM
itchynscratchy
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
oh, the thicker rear sways will make a huge difference.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Oh man! That rear sway bar really did make a huge difference!

Old 05-20-2019, 06:29 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Post up some pics here, so we can see it!
The rear swaybar changes the handling to the good!