North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   JCW Garage (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage-429/)
-   -   JCW OBD Adapter which one? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage/336864-obd-adapter-which-one.html)

MikeMJCW 03-11-2019 05:42 AM

OBD Adapter which one?

I downloaded Bimmercode app to my Samsung Galaxy S8 and it's asking for a OBD Adapter in the Bluetooth settings. Where/which one am I supposed to get?
I tried posting this in the Bimmerapp thread but it wouldn't allow me to. I'm just trying to disable the ASD.

Mini_Vinnie 03-11-2019 07:15 AM

Amazon.

Just search for bluetooth OBD and you will get more than you can imagine. Ipone works best with the WiFi ones, Android, bluetooth

Minnie.the.Moocher 03-11-2019 07:28 AM

I use an Icar version, however Bimmercode changed the recommendation last year. Look on the website for Bimmercode as they have a list of supported devices.

jmb2232 03-11-2019 08:35 AM

When I first purchased Bimmercode, I used the Vgate iCar over a WiFi connection. Once Bimmercode started supporting bluetooth, I started using the OBDLink that I owned already. I like the bluetooth link better because it seems to be more stable. I have an android phone, btw. Hope this helps.
MikeB.

N0B0DY 03-11-2019 04:50 PM

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and I use the Veepeak bluetooth adapter. Just be careful of the fake ones being sold on Amazon..

MikeMJCW 03-11-2019 07:57 PM

Thanks folks, I just ordered the ASD defeat harness from Technic instead, that's the only thing I was looking to disable.

MikeMJCW 03-23-2019 01:26 PM

Help!!!! I got Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 adapter- inserted it- all looked good- then deactivated ASD- then unplugged it- and ASD never got deactivated. What am I missing?
I sent the ASD defeat harness back as it looked like to much work to install.

jmb2232 03-23-2019 05:18 PM

It's been a while since I reprogrammed anything but I recall there is a step like "save programming" or something similar that you have to do. The reason why I remember that is because I missed it the first time.:lol:
MikeB

Mini_Vinnie 03-23-2019 06:22 PM

did you hit code? Not being a jerk but you could have missed it.

After I code, I always disconnect from the app then close the app

MikeMJCW 03-23-2019 07:20 PM

Yes, but it asked me to purchase the full version, I thought this was a freebie. Why would I think anything is free? Well I guess it's $75 to turn off the ASD then.
Thanks Vinny, back home you would've gave me "ah scuppettada ngabba"

Mini_Vinnie 03-24-2019 06:04 AM

HA! nothing in this world is free :)

Thankfully, you will never have to buy it again for all the updates. Glad it worked out buddy

MikeMJCW 03-24-2019 11:25 AM

I like it better with the ASD off, car is so much more enjoyable.
IMO this feature should be on controllable thru the CID display console. As for noise cancelling it's possible Mini intended that but my guess would be that it's just a by product.

MikeMJCW 03-26-2019 02:57 PM

Is it a coincidence that my check engine light comes on 2 days after using the bimmercodeapp? Maybe it's because this is what I feared and why I was originally going to get the ASD bypass harness.

Mini_Vinnie 03-26-2019 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by MikeMJCW (Post 4459232)
Is it a coincidence that my check engine light comes on 2 days after using the bimmercodeapp? Maybe it's because this is what I feared and why I was originally going to get the ASD bypass harness.

If you just shut the ASD off that shouldn't be the reason for a CEL. Pull the code, we can't help without knowing what code tripped it. Go to an Autozone type store and get it pulled for free

MikeMJCW 03-27-2019 04:18 AM

I have an app at the dealer. Code's- WTF happened to 4 Barrel Holley Carb's? :lol:

elsnaibs 03-27-2019 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by MikeMJCW (Post 4458633)
I like it better with the ASD off, car is so much more enjoyable.
IMO this feature should be on controllable thru the CID display console. As for noise cancelling it's possible Mini intended that but my guess would be that it's just a by product.

You are so right. I have a loaner while I have some maintenance plan stuff done, and the ASD in the loaner is SO NOTICEABLE OMG. I can't stand it.