North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   JCW Garage (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage-429/)
-   -   JCW Still time to negotiate? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage/336640-still-time-to-negotiate.html)

bluonyx 03-04-2019 07:26 PM

Still time to negotiate?

First time ever ordering a car, and I don't mind waiting, so I ordered my JCW but didn't really negotiate on the price (was so excited to pick custom options). Today I hoped on the dealer website and noticed that the International Orange Edition (sitting for 2 months) has been knocked down $5K in price. When I was ordering mine I had no idea that their were only going to be 150 state side and the price was ridiculous. They had it listed for $43995 now its $38995. It's fully loaded, where mine is not. I still prefer my ordered one over the Intern. Orange one though.

Could I use this as ammo to negotiate the price of mine? Are they just not selling that well now, cause the future 2020 GP is coming soon? They only ever carry at the most 3 JCW's on their lot.

N0B0DY 03-04-2019 08:26 PM

There's a $2000 incentive if you are a current MINI owner and you ordered a JCW between Jan and March this year.

bluonyx 03-04-2019 08:45 PM

Yup, I'm definitely getting that one, that was one of the main reasons I even ordered. I just want more, haha.

RLM 03-05-2019 05:01 AM

I very highly doubt that they will renegotiate the deal with you, especially on a custom ordered car. Likely, they have had trouble moving the international orange so they are discounting it as they need the space and the sales numbers. Yours however is already sold and you are in a contract with them for a certain price, they have no incentive to drop the price for you. when custom ordering cars, there usually is not much wiggle room on the price. Buying off the lot there is since they need to move that inventory they are racking up interest on.

bluonyx 03-08-2019 04:42 PM

Yeah, I don't think they're going to wiggle so much on price but I do have a few goodies I liked installed instead. Since I already have the parts I'm going to try to get them to throw in some install time instead.

Warren2185 03-11-2019 06:30 PM

I'm also waiting on my ordered JCW 2 door hardtop that I didn't negotiate on one bit. I keep looking at the websites to see where the pricing is going too and I think I saw the same thing you did. I can't imagine the incentive they'd have to renegotiate. They'll just be super nice to you about just about everything else. At this point I kinda didn't care about seeing those discounts because I wanted it with the packages I ordered. (Which was no sunroof but a bunch of other signature trim items that you usually had to get a sunroof package to get). They thought I was nuts.

N0B0DY 03-11-2019 07:46 PM

I also had to order my JCW because I didn't want the moonroof but wanted some of the other options. My MA searched everywhere for one close to what I wanted but couldn't find any without the moonroof.

2017All4 03-12-2019 04:27 PM

There is nothing preventing you from calling your MA and explaining that you are willing to consider the car they have on their lot, or you are willing to consider continuing with your order if there is an opportunity to improve the deal. Whatever the case, there is no law that say you have to buy a car that has yet to be built.

Don't know how far along this is -- has a deposit been given? (Not that this absolutely matters, but it does make ex post facto negotiations a bit tougher.) Do you have a confirmed build number and/or production date?

They only negotiating leverage you have is your willingness to cancel the order -- which they will try to tell you you can't do. But you can, and they need to refund your deposit, if you did a deposit. And, of course, we tell everyone, IF YOU DO A DEPOSIT, USE A CREDIT CARD, so you can get your money back if the dealer hesitates.

On my ordered car no money changed hands until the car was at the dealer, I inspected it, test drove it, and approved it.

The deal I had was "as good or better than at date of order," meaning the drive-off price would be AT LEAST as good as what we agreed to at time of order, with the understanding that lease rates, incentives, and all the rest change monthly. But the dealer was clear that we weren't going to re-negotiate the basic price of the car to which I had agreed. Only changes would be if incentives improved or if incentives got worse the dealer would still deliver the car to me at the drive-off price we had agreed upon at date of order, or better if there were better incentives.

MAIN POINT: No matter what the dealer tells you, until there's a car ready to deliver, there's no deal you have to do. (This is NOT legal advice, just a voice of much experience).

Most important thing is to drive the MINI you want at the price and terms that feel fair to you. Lots of MINI dealers in SoCal... just sayin'. Best of luck.