JCW JCW Countryman on road course/Autocross: anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 12:52 PM
antirich
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JCW Countryman on road course/Autocross: anyone?

Absolutely love my 5dr w/JCW package. IN my opinion, the absolute perfect city car, parking, acceleration, maneuverability, accessibility, you name it. Done a few track days and autocross events; car just brings instant smiles.

But the harsh reality is that we do a lot of outdoor camping, skiing, and motorcycle riding as family (GF and two small kids), so we're really pushing what's possible on the little F55. Having that extra foot of storage and better towing of the Countryman would make the car way more versatile for us. Lease ends in 4 months, so looking at the JCW Countryman. But I loves me some track days in the mini!!

I know the JCW Countryman isn't a 'true' track car, but has anyone done any real performance track stuff with this beast? Nothing competitive, just want to have fine. Assuming summer performance tires/wheels, and I'm guessing a rear sway bar and such. The 8 speed auto also sounds pretty nice (hell, even thinking of the manual!)

And no, two cars is not an option. Parking is $300/month here, and don't get me started with insurance!

Old 02-04-2019, 02:13 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I cant imagine it being any worse that the new generation of STI boats.. .. I mean cars.

You would really need to dial in your handling though. I could see the end on the Countryman getting away from you in tight turns, AWD or not

Old 02-04-2019, 02:40 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Autocross likely isn't possible unless SCCA revised the rules to allow the Countryman. Last time I read them (>5 years ago) the Countryman wasn't allowed based on its center of gravity.

That said, I did an autocross event in 2011 at MINIs in the Mountains before SCCA prohibited the Countryman and it was a blast. If I remember correctly I ended up #5 of 17, which is pretty good for a much larger car than the other hardtops and convertibles (I was the only Countryman). I was in the stock class, only mod was a front strut brace.

Double check autocross rules before you make a decision, so you aren't disappointed later.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
A few guys around here have modded their Forester XT's into little auto-x monsters, but they are all down at Impreza height stance too...since they share the same platform it makes it easy to shop the STI catalog for them. I don't see why you couldn't have some 'fun' with your ride as long as the rules allow it. There are other 'non-SCCA' clubs that run auto-x events and track days, so just check with the local group running things to see what they allow. My F54 ain't no track machine, but it didn't stop me from taking it out and having some fun on the local road course for a track day...even did the same thing with my former Legacy 2.5i Wagon (non-turbo/auto).

Old 02-06-2019, 03:12 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
The height and width of that car appear to put it right on the edge of the acceptable guideline in the 2019 SCCA Solo rulebook.

Height: 61.3"

Track: 61.5"

Specs: https://www.caranddriver.com/mini/co...yman-jcw/specs

Rulebook Guideliines:

Section 3.1.A

If I cannot trust a car to spin 360 degrees on warm dry pavement and stay FLAT I will not race it.

That's just me of course...

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 02-07-2019, 05:37 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I guess SCCA hasn’t watched the 2019 Dakar where 3 of the top 5 positions were Countrymans (as I recall). Rules ruin great racing...IMSA tried to screw the JCW Team cars but eventually they prevailed! MINIs are different!....when will rule makers get that? LOL!

Old 02-07-2019, 08:10 AM
Claviger
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You're comparing apples the bowling *****. Racing on dirt versus racing in a parking lot on dry pavement is a completely different thing with completely different risks. If you lower the countryman just one inch it will be solidly within the rules for scca.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:39 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Claviger
You're comparing apples the bowling *****. Racing on dirt versus racing in a parking lot on dry pavement is a completely different thing with completely different risks. If you lower the countryman just one inch it will be solidly within the rules for scca.
Obviously the Dakar MINI Countrymans are "modified" (they are taller!)...my point was they are great cars and rules can be very limiting regardless of the venue! Lowering a Countryman would meet the SCCA rules "and" be very quick and "flat" no doubt!

Old 02-07-2019, 09:56 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Do the Dakar Countrymans even share any parts with regular Countrymans?

Old 02-07-2019, 05:10 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
Do the Dakar Countrymans even share any parts with regular Countrymans?
Well, I think so but I really don’t know. Body parts for sure! The R60 Countrymans looked fairly stock but the F60’s look rather radical!