JCW F54 JCW Brake Wear - Front pads gone in 11k?

Old 04-24-2019, 06:28 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
What are your DSC settings? At the Mini Motoring school in Thermal, CA, the do not run 100%, only 50% and below. Your Clubman is also quite a bit heavier than a hatchback which I am sure that you are aware of.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:12 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by wcpfour
It is the automatic, yes. When driving in a "spirited" manner, I typically use the manual shift, and often play with the manual shift around town.

The only parts that were "worn" were the front pads. However, the front rotors were glazed and it was best to replace both pads and rotors for the best performance and longevity. Because I was switching to an aftermarket setup, I wanted to match both ends, so I purchased new rotors and pads. I also flushed the factory brake fluid and put in Castrol SRF for more resistance to fade.
The fact that you say the rotors were glazed says to me that some other than “normal” driving was going on with that car before you got. Also, I would wonder if your front pads were actually MINI pads. At this point I would put aside your experience with that first set and watch this new set. Given the unknowns about that original set, we are just guessing as to the cause. With this new set, you know exactly what is in there and it should be good.

It is great that you are pleased with your replacement brake parts. Do you know which EBC pads you got?

As for the traction control, the eLSD (EDLC in MINI speak) doesn’t turn off when the traction control is turn off. This will accelerate front brake wear if you come out of corners with a lot of power on. The other thing to note is that with the traction control on, there will be a yellow light that flashes. The traction control will only be wearing brakes when that is on.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:21 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
As for the traction control, the eLSD (EDLC in MINI speak) doesn’t turn off when the traction control is turn off. This will accelerate front brake wear if you come out of corners with a lot of power on. The other thing to note is that with the traction control on, there will be a yellow light that flashes. The traction control will only be wearing brakes when that is on.
I think you can turn off the EDLC by first turning off the traction control and then holding down that button until the EDLC totally turns off. . That's what the guy in Tempe said to do if you track your Mini and don't want the brakes to wear prematurely.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
On my R56, with the DTC, the EDLC stays on even with that turn-off procedure. It does turn off the traction control and the dynamic stability control. In the snow, it would spin both front tires like crazy in a turn and the car could be looped 360 with no problem. Not sure it was the best test, but it seem to have confirmed that the EDLC was still on while everything else was off. I also checked with Charlie Thompson who autocrosses his 2018 JCW and he said the same is true in his car. That is where I was coming from when I made my post. I guess the way to tell is to press and hold the traction control switch, take the car out into a deserted parking lot, put it into a turn and mash the throttle. If it lights up that inside front tire like Ken Block on a good day, then I guess the EDLC is off. My thought would be that EDLC should stay on with the rest turn off. It would be tough to autocross the JCW with no LSD, even the electronic one. My 2007 S had an open diff and it was somewhat useless in tight turns, but the cloud of smoke was entertains if nothing else... .

Last edited by Eddie07S; 05-01-2019 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Typos