JCW First in line for 2020 JCW GP!

Old 02-05-2019, 01:07 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
$45k sounds like a lot for a Mini, but take a step back: My JCW Coupe was $41k in 2014. The most expensive option was the heated Recaro seats ($2600), but the GP seats will be similar I bet. And I didn't get any hotshot wheels/tires like it will have. Or the massive engine. Or the front splitter or the rear spoiler. Hell I didn't even get Comfort Access or auto headlights/wipers. So this car will probably be a decent deal at $45k.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:54 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by charrigan
Anyone with the expectation that the F56 GP will look like the concept design study prepare yourself for a big letdown. There have been mostly undisguised GP's testing on the ring for months. The only major exterior changes are wider fender flares to accommodate wider wheels and tires, a very large wing (similar to the GP design study), and larger exhaust. The changes are going to mainly be engine, trans, suspension, some aero, and wheels/tires.

Do NOT expect the car to have a roll cage. When you add a roll cage into the mix you are changing impact performance, crumple zones, airbag timing, seatbelt timing. They would need to crash dozens of cars to rework the car to meet safety regs. Frankly bmw is not going to approve the cost to crash multiple vehicles for a ~3000 car or less build especially on an outgoing model.

All signs are pointing to the GP receiving the new b48 engine and 8AT Aisin trans with torsen based LSD that is being used in the x2 m35i. This version of the b48 which is 302hp 332lbft has a larger turbo, lower compression pistons, possibly upgraded rods but that is not confirmed yet, upgraded crank, and larger main bearings.
I fully agree the so called "Mule" shows more or less whats up, I hope some ideas from the concept interior survive, the engine is set with 306 hp /450Nm, and will make it more powerful than a Porsche Cayman.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:20 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 224 Posts
For a front engine car... I really dont understand the rear ducting on the fenders??

Its a concept car... I get that... and it's great to see designs pushing the ideas for production cars that have to meet a whole different set of requirements from engineering, production, management and marketing... Just makes what we get in the end a pretty cool ride in my opinion.

I mean... c'mon anyone that thinks you'll be fueling their production car through a back-side window is taking this too literally.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:24 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
The JCW and the GP are not bargain priced, but when you calculate the smiles per miles they are! I say that without really knowing how much I will like the GP, but if it is 75% as much fun as my JCW I will be more than happy. I am looking for better handling and additional power. It should be a hoot, I just hope it won't beat my seat too badly. I know it won't be as smooth as my JCW with dynamic suspension, but thats OK as long as I can tolerate the bad backroads to and from the Tail of the Dragon area. It seems that area was deliberately designed for minis and other road hugging, speedsters. The last MOTD we drove back roads through Eastern Kentucky into Tennessee via Sneedville (great road over the mountain) and after a stopover in Pigeon forge for a night and on to Robbinsville, N. C. It took us 7 hours of twisty roads that were a hoot.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:46 PM
FDR
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Charrigan,

I think you are 100% correct! That makes perfect sense.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:54 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
There's no way that concept would meet pedestrian safety regulations. It'll be a stickered up F56 JCW with dual clutch transmission and a tune.

Someone mentioned it would have 6 optional add-ons... lets hope it's something meaningful, like removal of audio system and a/c.

The following users liked this post:
Clutch Wotan (05-08-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 06:07 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
UPDATE!!! Ok so I haven’t posted anything on this thread for awhile....been recovering from my second shoulder surgery. But I am back driving my *** kicking JCW, and having some fun!

So the update: I stopped by to see my pal at my Mini dealership today. He was just finishing up with a SA meeting about the GP3. So some of the previous posts are spot on, some are a bit off. They will be using the b48 engine. Pretty much all the cool stuff inside is already gone....such as the roll cage, no backseats, no NOS bottle....all gone. The exterior remains pretty much the same. However they might be scrapping the cool front bumper air scupper, and those funky handle looking things on the back windows. The number of cars produced are the same as my original numbers, despite what some of the magazines are saying. So 3000 total, 500 in the US. My pal says his dealership “may now be getting 3 build spots, instead of 5 like they were first told”. I am still in the #1 slot.

So that’s the latest. Again remember I might be off on a few things, this is just what my buddy has been told as of today.

Last edited by normtrum; 05-04-2019 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Adding text
Old 05-07-2019, 03:33 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
http://www.motoringfile.com/2019/04/...w-gp-spyshots/

Well at least it's not as ugly as the concept.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:22 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JKo
There's no way that concept would meet pedestrian safety regulations. It'll be a stickered up F56 JCW with dual clutch transmission and a tune.

Someone mentioned it would have 6 optional add-ons... lets hope it's something meaningful, like removal of audio system and a/c.
My Dealer phoned me 3 weeks ago and ask me if i would like to sign for one. I said yes. Thankfully he didnt asked for a deposit :-) Iam sure he will keep me informed.

Regarding the the mentioned "6 optinal add-ons"

- Transmission option manual

- AC / Entertainment - Delete

- Saftey: The georgious saftey cage of the Concept, plus fire extinguisher

- Race Editon "The Few"
Carbon parts, and aero skirts bring the car close to 1000 kgs curbweight and close to 70.000 Euros ?

The sure thing is: All the parts can be mounted on your present F56, therefore a deeper look such as: suspension, drive-lines, etc might show better parts !

Old 05-08-2019, 04:47 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
My Dealer phoned me 3 weeks ago and ask me if i would like to sign for one. I said yes. Thankfully he didnt asked for a deposit :-) Iam sure he will keep me informed.

Regarding the the mentioned "6 optinal add-ons"

- Transmission option manual

- AC / Entertainment - Delete

- Saftey: The georgious saftey cage of the Concept, plus fire extinguisher

- Race Editon "The Few"
Carbon parts, and aero skirts bring the car close to 1000 kgs curbweight and close to 70.000 Euros ?

The sure thing is: All the parts can be mounted on your present F56, therefore a deeper look such as: suspension, drive-lines, etc might show better parts !
I am calling BS on all of the above until I see a leaked options list. The dealers do not have access to this information yet so it sounds like the salesman is cold calling people to gain commitments on the car.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:36 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
An update on my status for the GP. This is a bit of good news in my quest for the GP! I have been communicating with several dealerships since the announced closing of my dealership and Mini of Cincinnati had provided me with the #2 slot for a GP, so I am pretty confident that I will get one when they become available! This is the best mini news I have had for a while and it has buoyed my spirits and will most likely deplete my bank account, but that is OK. I just returned from a wonderful time at the MOTD and drove backroads on the way home and did multiple runs on the Devil's Triangle. It is not as long as the Tail and has houses along the route, but the residents were very accommodating and pulled over to allow us to pass. The run itself is more technically challenging than the Tail with some switchbacks that are so sharp that it required downshifting to first gear! It should be real fun in the GP!

The following 3 users liked this post by KYDan:
02fanatic (05-08-2020), Flynscot0256 (05-08-2019), vetsvette (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
I am calling BS on all of the above until I see a leaked options list. The dealers do not have access to this information yet so it sounds like the salesman is cold calling people to gain commitments on the car.
I didnt say anything about options, but its obvious that MINI tries to do somthing right this time.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:09 PM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
I didnt say anything about options, but its obvious that MINI tries to do somthing right this time.
everything you listed (except A/C delete and curb weight) has been disproved from spy shots and video clips of the production validation units that are on the road.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:50 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
everything you listed (except A/C delete and curb weight) has been disproved from spy shots and video clips of the production validation units that are on the road.
Really ?

I never talked about options , I just reflected what others do like, ALFA Romeo. The "6-Option-Tale" was launched by another member here.

I have done my part of expressing my wish to order one. My BMW MINI Dealer didn't wanted a deposit and will keep me informed.

Old 11-22-2019, 01:55 PM
Riz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the weight of this car? They talk about weight savings but I didn't see it anywhere. Does anyone know for sure?

Old 11-22-2019, 04:41 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
No sunroof and rear seat delete is a pretty good start.But I think the added radiator and cooling added back some weight.

Last edited by dpcompt; 11-22-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: change
Old 11-24-2019, 05:42 AM
mclarenmaniac
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All,
New to the forum here. Just placed the order for GP3. Never had GP but have a Countryman All4S as my daily which helped me place the deposit when the window opened for mini owners to place the deposit this past Friday.
Dealers are claiming limited to 500 here in states but i think almost 700-900 will come to US given the production now is 3000 units worldwide instead of 2000 units.
Thanks
Loki

The following users liked this post:
iwashmycar (12-19-2019)