JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Scroth Harnesses Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 06:26 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scroth Harnesses Question

Hello all! I have an '06 JCW that I am thinking about running up and down some of our awesome mountain roads as well as autocrossing. I am looking at the "Quick-Fit" Scroth harnesses. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or opinions on them. I looked around the site and could not find anything definitive.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:43 PM
ThumpR52
Banned
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
Having a Convertible I will not do any "spirited" runs without wearing my Schroth. If you have never used one, they will limit your movements as although I am tall, I still cannot reach an open door to close it when the harness is connected and forget about reaching for anything in the other seat. With that said, I would rather be held firmily in the car then be bouncing around like a ping pong ball inside it. I had a lady run a stop sign that flipped the Chevy Blazer I was in and was that ping-pong ball.

Once you have the harness parts installed, it is very easy to remove the thing when you are not using it. Normal driving I do not wear one.

The following users liked this post:
Jaughn (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 06:51 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
They are great. I've used them in several of my cars for mountain runs and AutoX. The biggest thing you find is you are quicker and smoother just because you don't have to hang onto the steering wheel.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/schrot...g-harness.html

Another budget option if you don't want to go full harness is the CG-lock as it will lock the lap part of the stock belt and hold you in much better but still allow the top shoulder belt to move.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/cg-lock.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-26-2018, 07:09 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmmm, those CG-Locks are interesting. Never heard of them before. I think I am still leaning more towards the full harnesses though...

Old 11-27-2018, 03:32 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Cannot drive the car properly on the twisties without one - highly recommended.

Cheers,

Charlie

The following 2 users liked this post by cmt52663:
Jaughn (11-27-2018), WayMotorWorks (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Another budget option if you don't want to go full harness is the CG-lock as it will lock the lap part of the stock belt and hold you in much better but still allow the top shoulder belt to move.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/cg-lock.html
This, because basilar skull fractures.

Last edited by Derek86; 12-14-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:16 AM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86
This, because basal skull fractures.

Not really a concern with the Schroth harness as they are designed with an antisubmarine feature that allows the body to rotate slightly, just like the stock 3 point.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI33342
Not really a concern with the Schroth harness as they are designed with an antisubmarine feature that allows the body to rotate slightly, just like the stock 3 point.
From Schroth's website.

Schroth's revolutionary Quick Fit Pro is the world's first 4 point harness that is designed to be used with a HANS Device in your stock seats! Now the safety and peace of mind that come from driving with a HANS device is available to the Driver's School and Open track day participant.
https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit

I'm assuming you guys aren't wearing your racing helmets on the street.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I've had the schroth quick fits in my car for almost a year and I wish I'd gotten them 15 years ago. They're great for spirited drives, autocross, and track days. I leave mine in all the time, and use them even when I'm driving to work, because you never know when you're going to get a good clean run on that entrance ramp.

I will say they're not really ideal for everyday use, because you can't reach alot of things when you're belted in, so if something is on the passenger floor board, it's going to stay there until you loosen/undo your belts. For me this isn't that bad, but I can see how it would be annoying.

I have heard concerns of injuries in a rollover because you can't fold forward with the seat like you would with a 3 point belt, but I figure as long as you don't have a rollover accident, it won't be a problem.

They made my runs on the dragon super enjoyable, and honestly, it's just more fun to get in my car and do up racing style belts instead of a boring old 3 point harness.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Add yet another proponent of the Schroth Quick-Fit system. I use the Pro's because I use them in concert with my HANS device and if you have aspirations to do open track or HPDE, I heartily suggest you go ahead and get the Pro's. .

Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Following with interest! I am definitely intrigued by these. I’m not sure if I do enough spirited driving to warrant it, but I want one just the same, lol!
I suppose I can use the reasoning that I have a busted up spine that’s been surgically “repaired” if you can call it that, as a reason to buy one? Help me convince myself and the Grumpy Wifey that I must have this! Ha ha

Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Keeping your torso firmly planted in the seat is imperative. Your head and shoulders should be perpendicular in the seat otherwise you lose the ability to understand what the car is doing with respect to the road.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:55 PM
lotter1
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
sub'd

Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM
itchynscratchy
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Love my schroth quickfit harness. Keeps you planted in the seat. I have a driver's side harness in black i'm looking to get rid of if you're interested since i got wanted the harness in a different color. Installation was so easy.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:54 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
I have them in all four of my MINIs ... and my Dodge Challenger

Motor On!

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (08-19-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 05:14 AM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
For those using such systems... 45* is the maximum install angle (with respect to the ground) of the straps. A harness bar MUST be used otherwise, as the shoulder straps will just break bones in an accident otherwise.

Actually it looks to be 20*: https://www.schroth.com/en/segments/...-qg_online.pdf

This means that if someone is using the rear seatbelt connectors to utilize their harness, it's installed wrong.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:39 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Mini specific: Make sure you buy the right harness.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:22 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
IMHO, if you need a Schroth harness for driving on public roads, you're driving too fast.

That said, the Schroth quick fit is a great harness. Well designed and thought out. And it worked great in my '06 JCW cabriolet when humiliating Shelby Mustangs at Searspoint.

But, on the street, I just use a CG Lock. Also an excellent product.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:25 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by martinb
IMHO, if you need a Schroth harness for driving on public roads, you're driving too fast.

That said, the Schroth quick fit is a great harness. Well designed and thought out. And it worked great in my '06 JCW cabriolet when humiliating Shelby Mustangs at Searspoint.

But, on the street, I just use a CG Lock. Also an excellent product.
Seriously, the stove calling the kettle black! If you use a CG Lock on public roads, you are most likely driving too fast and I mean it.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:57 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Seriously, the stove calling the kettle black! If you use a CG Lock on public roads, you are most likely driving too fast and I mean it.
I don't "need" the CG Lock. I like the security it provides in keeping the lap belt snug. I do drive a convertible after all. It doesn't mean I'm driving too fast. You seem to "know" a lot about me from one post.

I also use SS brake lines, Hawk HP Plus pads, Stoptech slotted rotors, high performance brake fluid and bronze bushings for the rear calipers. Does that also mean I drive too fast on the street?

I never did like the idea of the lap part of the belt being loose. IMHO, that was a bad move on the part of car manufacturers and only the shoulder part should be allowed to move. The lap part of the belt should be snug at all times.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:12 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by martinb
I don't "need" the CG Lock. I like the security it provides in keeping the lap belt snug. I do drive a convertible after all. It doesn't mean I'm driving too fast. You seem to "know" a lot about me from one post.

I also use SS brake lines, Hawk HP Plus pads, Stoptech slotted rotors, high performance brake fluid and bronze bushings for the rear calipers. Does that also mean I drive too fast on the street?

I never did like the idea of the lap part of the belt being loose. IMHO, that was a bad move on the part of car manufacturers and only the shoulder part should be allowed to move. The lap part of the belt should be snug at all times.
I can identify why you want the lap belt not to be loose driving a convertible. I always give my seatbelt a pull to tighten up the lap, especially in winter when wearing a jacket. If I were to driving a convertible on the streets I would want a good half cage. I might even want to drive with the Schroth harness and that's how I feel about convertibles. I owned a Miata and that was all the convertible I would ever owned except one with a decent rollover protection. They should really be called no top instead for what they are.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 06-15-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:09 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I can identify why you want the lap belt not to be loose driving a convertible. I always give my seatbelt a pull to tighten up the lap, especially in winter when wearing a jacket. If I were to driving a convertible on the streets I would want a good half cage. I might even want to drive with the Schroth harness and that's how I feel about convertibles. I owned a Miata and that was all the convertible I would ever owned except one with a decent rollover protection. They should really be called no top instead for what they are.
I wish someone made a good rollbar for the cabriolet. Unfortunately none are made and it would have to be custom. Maybe some day.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by veedubpat
For those using such systems... 45* is the maximum install angle (with respect to the ground) of the straps. A harness bar MUST be used otherwise, as the shoulder straps will just break bones in an accident otherwise.

Actually it looks to be 20*: https://www.schroth.com/en/segments/...-qg_online.pdf

This means that if someone is using the rear seatbelt connectors to utilize their harness, it's installed wrong.
If you had done some research before posting you would have realized that this system has been designed for the MINI specific seats. They were tested and approved for this type of harness. And the harness itself is designed to function like a 3 point system in that it allows you to rotate slightly at impact so you don't submarine and allows you not to have to use a HANS device.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by MINI33342
If you had done some research before posting you would have realized that this system has been designed for the MINI specific seats. They were tested and approved for this type of harness. And the harness itself is designed to function like a 3 point system in that it allows you to rotate slightly at impact so you don't submarine and allows you not to have to use a HANS device.
Count me in as one of those "installed wrong" crowd. Most of us cannot afford or willing to install a HANS that has limited shelf life. We go with this that has no expiration date as we are just playing boy racer in the weekends.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:51 PM
Grand-Cayman
3rd Gear
Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Very interesting. I was assuming I would need a new seat. I use a CG lock with my Cayman which has pretty good seats for the track. These R53 seats provide very little lateral support. I have not tracked mine yet, but am planning on it.

Can someone with these harnesses post a few photos of them on a person (in the car)?

Quick Reply: Scroth Harnesses Question