JCW Bytetronic OBD Flash ‘16 f56 JCW. WAY over my head

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:58 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Bytetronic OBD Flash ‘16 f56 JCW. WAY over my head

Ok so I’m sure by now everyone is aware that the Bytetronic OBD flash is having a fantastic sale. As mentioned in my thread title, this stuff is admittedly way over my head. https://bytetronik.com/tuning/mini/f56-series-tuning/

I have been on their website for 2 hours. For those of you that have read a few of my posts, or PM’s (Marco polo has helped me a LOT), I only know how to do 2 things really well. First I can drive extremely well ( speed + rating on auto cross racing, logged maybe 6-7,000 laps, won 12 class races in my M3), and secondly I have professional level “detail” skills ( I’m not up to the standards of the real pros here, but the once/year “main detail” I do on my cars the pros tell me they would charge ~$2,000 for the same thing).

So after reading all 20 pages from Bytetronic’s site....I really don’t have a clue to what their talking about. So basically they are talking about a “stage 1 tune”. So a stage 2 or 3, or whatever would depend on what type of mods you have? So you can see by my mods below, I need to update it with a down pipe, and of course a delete of the NM power mod, which I’ll just put on my wife’s ‘17 Countryman S all4. I am not indifferent to increasing the size of my turbo either. So for the purpose of this thread, I guess it would depend on what my goals are? I would love to be able to get a sub 4 second 0-60, and a sub 12 second quarter mile. As you can see I already have all or most of the “handling mods” I need, so now it’s just pure raw speed. I run exclusively on 100 octane, which I know accounts for something.

So can somebody at least try and give me the layman’s terms on this flash? I mean really, apart from those 2 things I do well, I am a self proclaimed idiot. Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by normtrum; 11-26-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-26-2018, 01:17 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Basically, it reprograms the ECU to eliminate and adjust all the stock restrictive variables that Mini puts on the car and lets the car actually drive to its potential.

For speed though, as Im sure you know, you need to get rid of some of the weight in the Mini. Its heavy.

For example, the stock seats in my S were 60+ pounds each. My sparcos were barely 40lbs for the pair! Rear seat out, 20-28lbs gone

Old 11-26-2018, 01:21 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Basically, it reprograms the ECU to eliminate and adjust all the stock restrictive variables that Mini puts on the car and lets the car actually drive to its potential.

For speed though, as Im sure you know, you need to get rid of some of the weight in the Mini. Its heavy.

For example, the stock seats in my S were 60+ pounds each. My sparcos were barely 40lbs for the pair! Rear seat out, 20-28lbs gone
Thank you! So if I may ask, you are listed as having a “stage 2 Bytetronic tune”. So what does that mean? Did you add something like a FMIC while doing a stage 2? Or did you already have something in place?

The following users liked this post:
jlb (11-29-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 02:24 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
You can run stage 1 with only the addition of the BT recommended spark plugs. For stage 2 you need plugs, I/C, catless DP, and freer flowing intake and exhaust. I have all the bits installed to run stage 2, but am sticking with stage 1 for now.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by normtrum
A

Thank you! So if I may ask, you are listed as having a “stage 2 Bytetronic tune”. So what does that mean? Did you add something like a FMIC while doing a stage 2? Or did you already have something in place?
Glad to help! So I had all the supporting mods for stage 1 then when I added the DP or IC (cant remember which one exactly) it was enough to support their Stage 2 requirement

Old 12-03-2018, 07:45 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
If you want to send in your ECU and have it bench flash, then the cost is only $550 + shipping (you save $200 on the OBD2 module).