JCW Cold Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 06:22 PM
nclorax
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Cold Air Intake?

2018 F56 JCW on order. Already thinking about mods.

So why change out the Cold Air Intake? I did in my old S but at that time I update to the JCW intake. Does the JCW benefit from a Cold Air Intake upgrade?

Any big differences between whats out there? Recommendations?

Old 02-28-2018, 06:30 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Most of them are just noisemakers.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
But they look so cool!!!

Honestly, though, there are arguments for both sides. There are other mods you can do that will benefit you and your JCW a lot more; suspension, engine bushing, piggyback or ECU flash etc...

Old 03-01-2018, 03:32 AM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I kept getting a cel P00BD on my 2018, so I just finally removed it.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:27 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
I put a K & N filter that fit in the OEM box, it does make more noise than the OEM one and I doubt it really changed the power, but it is washable and I already had all the cleaner and media solution to clean it. I suppose if I keep this one long enough it will pay for itself eventually. The carbon fiber intake does really look cool though, but my mini has been through so many twisties it is definitely not a show car, and it seemed pointless to spend the money for one.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:50 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by nclorax
2018 F56 JCW on order. Already thinking about mods.

So why change out the Cold Air Intake? I did in my old S but at that time I update to the JCW intake. Does the JCW benefit from a Cold Air Intake upgrade?

Any big differences between whats out there? Recommendations?

The Mini HAS a cold air intake stock. Outside air comes through 2 snorkels through the front of the radiator.

The following users liked this post:
Clutch Wotan (03-18-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 05:55 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Not really as the stock one is adequate, but for aesthetic reasons we modify them, more noise, or in my case washable and reusable filters. I did not change the intake, just the filter. The carbon fibre ones really look cool, but are $$$$. If you could build one that produced colder air that would give you some HP, but there is no practical way to do that that I am aware of.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:10 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
If you want a CAI, it comes with one. If you want a cleanable filter, you can get a K&N or others like it, but have to buy cleaners and oil for the rest of its life. Or you can get a dry reusable filter from aFe, like I did and when it's dirty, I wash it in the sink, let dry and reinstall. Nothing extra and reusable for decades if you treat it right. I have them in every vehicle I have .. and when on trips, if they get real dirty from debris on the road, have cleaned them in the hotel room, reinstall in the morning and been on my way.

Last edited by AnOldBiker; 03-04-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:56 AM
nclorax
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker
If uyou want a CAI, it comes with one. If you want a cleanable filter, you can get a K&N or others like it, but have to buy cleaners and oil for the rest of its life. Or you can get a dry reusable filter from aFe, .
Does the aFe add any more sound like K&N filter does?

Do you have to clean the factory filter with solvents or is it just a throw away and replace?

Old 03-04-2018, 06:08 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I have a feeling they are all the same in terms of sounds. I had a K&N then switched to a Forge CAI and they were the same sound

Also, the stock ones are a one and done when it is time to change them

Old 03-04-2018, 06:11 AM
bongshi4
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm currently using AEM cold air intake kit on my gen2 mini roadster S.
It does not make that much of noise like others are saying, but you can tell the significant intake air temperature drop by monitoring from OBD.

With stock intake, it was 10~15 celsius higher than ambient temp.
With AEM CAI, less than 5 celsius higher than ambient temp when you are driving.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:51 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by nclorax
Does the aFe add any more sound like K&N filter does?

Do you have to clean the factory filter with solvents or is it just a throw away and replace?

As mentioned, i only a bit more sound.

Heres the one I bought:
https://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10...y-s-air-filter

To clean:
https://afepower.com/media/pdp-files/31-10256-is.pdf

Old 03-05-2018, 07:56 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by bongshi4
I'm currently using AEM cold air intake kit on my gen2 mini roadster S.
It does not make that much of noise like others are saying, but you can tell the significant intake air temperature drop by monitoring from OBD.

With stock intake, it was 10~15 celsius higher than ambient temp.
With AEM CAI, less than 5 celsius higher than ambient temp when you are driving.
He is talking Gen 3, F56. Totally different intake system. Factory is cold air. Most other aftermarket F56 intakes are not cold-air, but at least they sound cool!

Old 03-05-2018, 08:28 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I wish the design of the F56 could accommodate an AEM type intake. I had one on my R56 and loved it. I'm on my 4th intake on my F56 and have finally settled on the ArmaSpeed which is also a true CAI.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:08 AM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Hello all, I know this discussion is for Fxxxx but I know some of you also had R XXxX.
But I will ask. I have a 09 R56 on stage 2 manic and all upgrades also have a K&N typhoon that I feel as all have said mostly noise maker, would like to go back to the oem box but like to keep the intake hose is it possible or do I need to get that old one back on? the rubber hose?
Thank you all
Ben

Old 03-08-2018, 03:19 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L
He is talking Gen 3, F56. Totally different intake system. Factory is cold air. Most other aftermarket F56 intakes are not cold-air, but at least they sound cool!
Yup. The R56 & family have a factory cold air intake as well, but as its intake tube snaked alongside the engine way down in the engine bay, it was easy to improve upon with an AEM or DDM hood-scoop intake path. I ran an AEM on my R55 and it did lower intake temps a bit.

The F56 intake has a shorter, cooler path to the air filter before it heads back to the turbo. I doubt significant improvements are likely, in terms of intake temperatures or volume of airflow.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:21 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 67morris
I kept getting a cel P00BD on my 2018, so I just finally removed it.
Same story here - I've been trying to make it work as I had no issues with it for the first year and a half it was on. I removed it to reinstall the stock intake for some warranty service at my SA's advice and ever since I've been getting the P00BD code but only when the aftermarket intake is installed. Switch back to stock airbox and bye bye code.

Which aftermarket intake were you running? I'm debating getting rid of mine and getting a different one as I like the extra noise. I'm curious if you were using the same as me. Feel free to PM if you don't want to publicly shame the brand lol.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:53 PM
67morris
4th Gear
Originally Posted by shmandrew
Same story here - I've been trying to make it work as I had no issues with it for the first year and a half it was on. I removed it to reinstall the stock intake for some warranty service at my SA's advice and ever since I've been getting the P00BD code but only when the aftermarket intake is installed. Switch back to stock airbox and bye bye code.

Which aftermarket intake were you running? I'm debating getting rid of mine and getting a different one as I like the extra noise. I'm curious if you were using the same as me. Feel free to PM if you don't want to publicly shame the brand lol.
Glad I am not the only one with this code. Mine was AIRVIP 4 from VIP. Which one do you have? I am giving mine away to my friend to try on his 2015 S. Can let you know if it works ok on his.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:05 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Glad I am not the only one with this code. Mine was AIRVIP 4 from VIP. Which one do you have? I am giving mine away to my friend to try on his 2015 S. Can let you know if it works ok on his.
Haha that's the same one I've got. I actually spoke with Van at VCP on the phone yesterday about it. He claimed he has never heard of this issue happening with any of his customers before. Please keep me posted about how it works on your friend's car. I've been thinking about transferring mine to a friend as well to see if the problem follows the intake. I'll let you know if I end up finding someone willing to try and if they get the same issue

Old 03-24-2018, 05:11 PM
67morris
4th Gear
Originally Posted by shmandrew
Haha that's the same one I've got. I actually spoke with Van at VCP on the phone yesterday about it. He claimed he has never heard of this issue happening with any of his customers before. Please keep me posted about how it works on your friend's car. I've been thinking about transferring mine to a friend as well to see if the problem follows the intake. I'll let you know if I end up finding someone willing to try and if they get the same issue

That's funny indeed. I actually sent them a detailed email about this issue about a month ago, but never got a reply. Will update in this thread once the friend reports back. Well, at least there is hope another intake may actually work for our cars

Old 03-31-2018, 10:34 AM
67morris
4th Gear
So my friend also got the same CEL. So weird. I am thinking it’s the area where the MAF attaches does not seal properly.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:07 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
So my friend also got the same CEL. So weird. I am thinking it’s the area where the MAF attaches does not seal properly.
Thanks for the update. I haven't tried mine on a friend's yet, but I'm probably not even going to bother now. I had the same thought about the MAF area - I even bought a new OEM o-ring for the MAF thinking maybe mine was not sealing well but that didn't fix anything. I'm about to go change mine back to stock now and am thinking about trashing this one and picking up the AWE S-Flo.

FWIW, when I spoke to Van at VIP, he said I could send the tube in to be pressure tested. Since I bought mine used off someone on these forums, I apparently have no warranty so I'm not sure if I'm going to go through with that. But it's something you may want to consider if you purchased yours brand new. It also seems like there may be multiple versions of this intake - he had asked me if the MAF attachment point was welded or bolted to the billet tube. Mine is welded and he said that is an early run of this part and wouldn't expect there to be any leaks there.

All I know is I'd be pretty pissed if I paid full price for this thing and was having these problems. I sold my VIP R60 intake on the boards and then bought this F56 one used for the same price, so I feel a little less crappy about the problems. It sure is frustrating that it worked perfectly from Feb 2016 until a few months ago though

Old 03-31-2018, 12:57 PM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Air VIP Intake

Yeah, I'm the guy who 67Morris gave the Air VIP to and have been in touch with VIP to help figure this out. Hoping it's something simple like a loose connection or something along those lines.

Fingers crossed 'cuz I like the look and function of this product.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:25 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cmdycrzr
Yeah, I'm the guy who 67Morris gave the Air VIP to and have been in touch with VIP to help figure this out. Hoping it's something simple like a loose connection or something along those lines.

Fingers crossed 'cuz I like the look and function of this product.
Good luck and please keep me posted on how it all works out. I took mine off this afternoon and put the stock airbox back on. No more CELs. I'd prefer to make this work instead of spending money on another one, but I'm just tired of the hassle with it.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:12 PM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
CEL went off tonight...don''t know if it's one of those x number of starts or time when it resets. Hoping it doesn't kick back on.

Quick Reply: JCW Cold Air Intake?