JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Can someone help me tell if i have a jcw supercharger pulley or a regular cooper s

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone help me tell if i have a jcw supercharger pulley or a regular cooper s

So around a month back i purchased a 2006 jcw cooper and i have a question about the supercharger pulley size. So i bought a 17% reduction pulley and now im getting ready to put it on but im not sure about which supercharger puller i should get the regular cooper s one or a jcw one? Is there a way to tell if i have stock pulley or a jcw one?

Old 07-16-2018, 05:19 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
If you have a factory JCW, or a JCW kit installed you should have the smaller JCW pulley. The only way to tell for sure is to measure it since the JCW supercharger could have been replaced at some time. Stock is supposed to be about 65mm and JCW about 55mm.

Good idea to find out as I've only read bad things about trying to remove a JCW pulley with the wrong sized remover. I think Way Motor Works has the correct puller if you need the JCW one.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:37 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
If you have a factory JCW, or a JCW kit installed you should have the smaller JCW pulley. The only way to tell for sure is to measure it since the JCW supercharger could have been replaced at some time. Stock is supposed to be about 65mm and JCW about 55mm.

Good idea to find out as I've only read bad things about trying to remove a JCW pulley with the wrong sized remover. I think Way Motor Works has the correct puller if you need the JCW one.
My car is a kit fitted JCW and its only at 43k miles so i dont think the supercharger has been replaced, i have all the JCW engine pieces, is there a way to be certain of which one i need could i post a picture? Or would i have to take off everything and go in with a ruler and measure it.. Dont really wanna do that.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:21 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
The JCW kit came with a new supercharger fitted with the JCW pulley. If someone purchased the kit and the new supercharger wasn't installed they got ripped off. With the kit you should have the JCW supercharger, a JCW cylinder head, JCW exhaust, JCW tune, JCW numbered valve cover plate, a silver JCW intercooler diverter/cover, and JCW certificate at the minimum. Being a 2006 it probably had the later 210hp JCW kit so it should also have the JCW airbox and blue fuel injectors.

The hardest part of a JCW kit to verify is the cylinder head which needs to have the exhaust manifold removed to check the size of the exhaust ports.

You might be able to measure the pulley by pulling the belt off to access the pulley. Another way to see if you have a JCW pulley might be by just checking the belt size. The belt is smaller and I don't think it'll fit on a car with a regular S pulley. Do you see a part number on the belt?

edit: I forgot, the pulley upgrade is really common so have you looked to see the car still has a stock pulley on it? It wouldn't be the first time a new owner didn't realize the pulley had already been upgraded.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
The JCW kit came with a new supercharger fitted with the JCW pulley. If someone purchased the kit and the new supercharger wasn't installed they got ripped off. With the kit you should have the JCW supercharger, a JCW cylinder head, JCW exhaust, JCW tune, JCW numbered valve cover plate, a silver JCW intercooler diverter/cover, and JCW certificate at the minimum. Being a 2006 it probably had the later 210hp JCW kit so it should also have the JCW airbox and blue fuel injectors.

The hardest part of a JCW kit to verify is the cylinder head which needs to have the exhaust manifold removed to check the size of the exhaust ports.

You might be able to measure the pulley by pulling the belt off to access the pulley. Another way to see if you have a JCW pulley might be by just checking the belt size. The belt is smaller and I don't think it'll fit on a car with a regular S pulley. Do you see a part number on the belt?

edit: I forgot, the pulley upgrade is really common so have you looked to see the car still has a stock pulley on it? It wouldn't be the first time a new owner didn't realize the pulley had already been upgraded.

I thought maybe i should upload a picture of my engine bay to help.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Cant see everything, but it looks like you have the later 210hp JCW kit and should have the smaller JCW pulley. Make to use the proper pulley remover as all posts I’ve read not using it ended with cutting the pulley off with a grinder.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Cant see everything, but it looks like you have the later 210hp JCW kit and should have the smaller JCW pulley.
What else do you need to see?? i will post another picture. And also my car doesnt feel like shes 210 hp at all
\

Old 07-16-2018, 10:13 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Just saying you can’t see the injectors or supercharger pulley, so unless something strange went on it with the car it looks like you have the 210hp kit. That’s going by the year of install and the presence of the JCW airbox.

The main question you had is the supercharger pulley size. That would be hard to tell from a pic, but it would be easy to tell if it has already been upgraded. Can you post a pic of the pulley? Also, do you see any part numbers/belt size numbers on the serpentine belt?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:24 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Just saying you can’t see the injectors or supercharger pulley, so unless something strange went on it with the car it looks like you have the 210hp kit. That’s going by the year of install and the presence of the JCW airbox.

The main question you had is the supercharger pulley size. That would be hard to tell from a pic, but it would be easy to tell if it has already been upgraded. Can you post a pic of the pulley? Also, do you see any part numbers/belt size numbers on the serpentine belt?
Okay so i can confirm that the injectors are the blue colored ones, just checked. And im not sure if you can tell from this picture but here it is.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:34 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
That’s a factory pulley so from the pic, confirmation of the blue injectors, and your previous post saying you have all of the JCW engine pieces, everything points to you having the 210hp JCW package. I would rent or buy the JCW pulley puller from Way Motor Works to install your new pulley. Make sure to get the correct sized belt, and new plugs depending on how old the plugs are.

Things I would worry about with a 17% pulley are if you track your car, or the octane rating for premium in your area is only 91.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 AM
Fancyup
1st Gear
That’s a factory pulley so from the pic, confirmation of the blue injectors, and your previous post saying you have all of the JCW engine pieces, everything points to you having the 210hp JCW package. I would rent or buy the JCW pulley puller from Way Motor Works to install your new pulley. Make sure to get the correct sized belt, and new plugs depending on how old the plugs are.

Things I would worry about with a 17% pulley are if you track your car, or the octane rating for premium in your area is only 91.
So just to make sure one more time before i make the order right now i need a JCW pulley puller correct? And i bought the 17 percent pulley with the msd coil pack from alta it came with a belt already. Its either one of these three numbers, AMP-ENG-213 or 6pk1364 or k060535. The belt is 13/16" x 54-1/4". Im not planning on tracking it and i only put shell gas in my car, which is supposedly a cleaner gas.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:30 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
On a different issue, have you read this thread on the "red" (car will be dead) coils?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...il-output.html

Old 07-17-2018, 05:35 AM
noahvale
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why do you want to put a larger pulley on your JCW?

Old 07-17-2018, 08:41 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
17% is smaller from an S pulley and will give more boost, the JCW pulley is about 11%.

Without being able to measure the pulley to guarantee it, all things point to yes, you have a JCW pulley and need to order the smaller pulley remover for it. Way Motor Works has been the only place I've seen one available.

If you received the new belt in a pulley package it should be the correct size. Check your belt tensioner and idler pulley as you'll be in there and the small shock on the tensioner is know to fail.

Shell is good gas, but I was more concerned with the octane rating of the premium in your area. Some places like the East Coast are lucky to have 93 available which is good, but on the West Coast the highest is 91 which is can be low for a 17% pulley in some situations.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
On a different issue, have you read this thread on the "red" (car will be dead) coils?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...il-output.html
Wait so the msd coilpack is no good????

Old 07-17-2018, 12:17 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
17% is smaller from an S pulley and will give more boost, the JCW pulley is about 11%.

Without being able to measure the pulley to guarantee it, all things point to yes, you have a JCW pulley and need to order the smaller pulley remover for it. Way Motor Works has been the only place I've seen one available.

If you received the new belt in a pulley package it should be the correct size. Check your belt tensioner and idler pulley as you'll be in there and the small shock on the tensioner is know to fail.

Shell is good gas, but I was more concerned with the octane rating of the premium in your area. Some places like the East Coast are lucky to have 93 available which is good, but on the West Coast the highest is 91 which is can be low for a 17% pulley in some situations.
I hope 91 should be good enough. Thank you very much man i really do appreciate it a lot!!!!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Yes you have a JCW pulley on your supercharger.

To remove it you can use our JCW puller
https://www.waymotorworks.com/john-c...uller-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-17-2018, 08:54 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Yes you have a JCW pulley on your supercharger.

To remove it you can use our JCW puller
https://www.waymotorworks.com/john-c...uller-r53.html
I ordered that same one last night. I had a question on how to use it i understand the other types but this ones doesnt make sense to me. i dont get how the pulling process works.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Fancy wrote -

It seems the while it's not that the MSD not "any good", it just seems that the OEM coil is better at sending spark than all of it's competitors.
Under most conditions, the lesser powerful coils will work just fine. But...with higher boost, leaner fuel and higher ignition timing, (well over even the JCW tuneup), they might not perform quite as well as the OEM coil.
If you don't have any high rpm, spark plug misfire, then whatever coil you have, is doing the job that needs to be done.

Nice work to downshift1 for the testing done on the coils.

Mike

Old 07-17-2018, 11:44 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OCR
Fancy wrote -

It seems the while it's not that the MSD not "any good", it just seems that the OEM coil is better at sending spark than all of it's competitors.
Under most conditions, the lesser powerful coils will work just fine. But...with higher boost, leaner fuel and higher ignition timing, (well over even the JCW tuneup), they might not perform quite as well as the OEM coil.
If you don't have any high rpm, spark plug misfire, then whatever coil you have, is doing the job that needs to be done.

Nice work to downshift1 for the testing done on the coils.

Mike
I mean i was having a crazy misfire with the OEM coil so i thought this one would fix it and it did. I talked to the local mini dealer here in my area and he said that he has installed the msd coilpack on over 60+ minis and all of them are running perfect, no issues at all.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:42 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
On the coil, yes there are people using them and yes there are people that had their ECU's fried with them. I am in the group that does not want fried eggs.

On pulleys, I went with Way's 2% overdrive ATI crank pulley. The turbo models have more torque, the Gen3 lots more, so on the Gen1 on a twistie run I like to keep the RPMs higher. With the 2% and my stock JCW pulley the heat build up is not as bad. Throw in a header, RMW's Dominator Cam, 450 injectors along with Jan's Tune and I am quite happy.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
On the coil, yes there are people using them and yes there are people that had their ECU's fried with them. I am in the group that does not want fried eggs.

On pulleys, I went with Way's 2% overdrive ATI crank pulley. The turbo models have more torque, the Gen3 lots more, so on the Gen1 on a twistie run I like to keep the RPMs higher. With the 2% and my stock JCW pulley the heat build up is not as bad. Throw in a header, RMW's Dominator Cam, 450 injectors along with Jan's Tune and I am quite happy.
Could you give me a part list of what i should do i want more POWER!!!!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Fancyup
I ordered that same one last night. I had a question on how to use it i understand the other types but this ones doesnt make sense to me. i dont get how the pulling process works.
You use a standard 3 point puller with it to pull the pulley. Often we use a steering wheel puller you can get from a local parts store for free rental as it's small and will work with our puller for pulling it off.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more