Is this a JCW Mini or not? - Page 8 - North American Motoring

Go Back  North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > JCW Garage
Is this a JCW Mini or not? >

Is this a JCW Mini or not?

JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Is this a JCW Mini or not?

Old 09-19-2018, 07:16 AM
twokbolt
1st Gear
Lookin good.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:18 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Bryan (I'm getting too old for this anymore....)
I keep telling myself this too at 68, but I guess we are lushes for punishment! But we also love the reward these little go carts give us, when they are sorted out!

Old 09-23-2018, 12:32 PM
A383Wing
3rd Gear
Update: 9-23-2018

The engine & trans are out of the car.....went and bought a little dolly from Harbor Freight to set them on after I got them out. I need to get the oil coolers, & oil filter housings off both engines and take them up to the shop and run them through the hot water washing machine. Then use the best of each piece on the new engine.

Need to separate the trans and pull the clutch & flywheel from the bad engine and inspect them......I have a new clutch assembly here that I bought, but I'm not sure if the clutch in the car was new or not......

Now the fun begins........

Bryan

Old 09-25-2018, 04:49 PM
A383Wing
3rd Gear
9-25-18

New engine is in the car.....trying to remember how I took this apart and an what order.......

Bryan

Old 09-28-2018, 03:08 PM
A383Wing
3rd Gear
9-28-2018

Making progress......did the supercharger service, new water pump installed......got it all installed on the engine, along with the throttle body and that side of the intake system......ran into another snag, noticed a large rubbed area on the upper radiator hose......looked even closer and it's rubbed through to the middle cords on the hose......I have another hose on order and will either pick it up tonight or tomorrow......

Was hoping to get this fired off today, but maybe this weekend if I have the time

Bryan

Old 10-08-2018, 12:56 PM
A383Wing
3rd Gear
Update: 10-8-2018

Went out and did a little work on the R52 this morning......had to install the two special shoulder bolts that hold the throttle body bracket to the transmission housing, also installed the new upper radiator hose, plugs, and a new plug wire set......

I still have the radiator resistor to install, and then mount the radiator core support onto the front of the car......but I really wanted to hear this wrecking yard engine run......so I fired it off real quick to see if it was quiet or not......fired right off, but ran like crap.....not much throttle response when I pushed the gas pedal, plus it wouldn't idle when I let off the gas pedal. Went into the house and got my scanner, plugged it in, checked for codes, had a few in there for the engine and one was for throttle potentiometer fault.....plus there were other codes in other chassis & body areas, probably because I had the battery disconnected for a long time during this engine install......(and yea, my convertible top doesn't work again along with my NAV screen showing my location, but that is something to look at later) Cleared all the codes, reset the ECM, and fired off the engine again.....ran nice & smooth, no valve train noise like the OE engine, and have nice throttle response.

But, I have a noise in the clutch area when the clutch is out, like a rattle noise, sounds like a throw-out bearing, It goes away when clutch is pushed in....never made this noise with the old clutch & throw-out bearing, and the trans has new synthetic fluid. The flywheel is the same one, (dual mass), that was on the dead engine, never made this rattle noise then either, all I had was valve train noise and metal shavings in the oil which is why I got this wrecking yard engine.

I think I'm gonna need a clutch slave cylinder, I have fluid in the bellows down there, so that is next on my list of items to get, install, and then see what happens.......I really don't want to pull this drivetrain back out again, not sure if I can wrestle the trans out by itself or not with the car on jack stands in the garage......so, I'm done for the day until I figure out my next step

Not sure how much more of this I can take......I'm almost to the point of raising the white flag and throwing in the towel on this car.....but the wife really has her heart set on driving this car around I think.......

I need a nap, got a headache, and my back is killing me.......

Bryan (so close, yet so far away)

Old 10-12-2018, 11:41 PM
A383Wing
3rd Gear
Update: 10-12-2018

Got my new clutch slave cylinder today, might try to get it installed this weekend. I went to Lowe's and got a couple long bolts and nuts, I have a few pieces of scrap metal here that I need to make a slave cylinder depression tool for aid in bleeding the system. I'm not going to pay the $25+ for the one on eBay

Got a couple of NASCAR races at Talladega speedway and a couple football games to watch as well....... not sure how much I'm gonna get done on the R52 JCW this weekend, we'll see

Bryan

Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM
A383Wing
3rd Gear
Update: 10-16-2018

Making progress......I got my new slave cylinder bled with my home-made cylinder compressor and installed. I got my new radiator cooling fan resistor all wired up and installed also. Put the radiator all back in, filled with new coolant, and fired off the "new" engine.......I had my scanner hooked up to the OBD II port to monitor coolant temp......I let the engine run until the cooling fan cycled on & off three times......each time the fan turned on at 222*F......engine is nice and quiet....no smoke out the tail pipe.....no abnormal noises......no "check engine" light.....so I'm happy with the engine at this point.....

Now I can concentrate on the other items that don't work or need attention:

The NAV system and convertible top don't work again....NAV screen just says "MINI" and the top is stuck in the "down" position....I have tried all of the reset procedures that I could find in this forum and on the web......so far, it's still not working, the power windows work, and I cycled those 3 times and the top is still stuck in the "down" position.......so I'll try and do more research

The rear brakes need work, either e-brake cables are froze, or the calipers are, or both......should be easy fix (I hope)

The radio still has no "noise from the speakers.....I still suspect a bad HK Amp that's under the seat.....

Air bag system has a fault code for passenger seat, dealer will take care of that when I can get the car to them

Bryan

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Is the map DVD in the NAV unit under the seat?

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
A383Wing
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI View Post
Is the map DVD in the NAV unit under the seat?
No clue.....the convertible top & the NAV system had worked before I sent the engine ECU and the EWS to RPM Motorsports for repair......I had the battery disconnected the entire time, got the units back, installed them, connected the battery, and the engine finally started....the EWS was out of sync, I don't think the convertible top or the NAV system has anything to do with the EWS or the ECU......

Bryan

Old Today, 08:46 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Great progress Bryan! I am sure it is some minor issue with the NAV and Top. The NAV was not good when they were new! But they seem to work most of the time. I think the gauges are the better option! (being a gauge freak myself)
In time, you will get that all sorted!
I am so happy for you, that the new engine is a winner and you can move on to buttoning it all back together. A great project with a great reward on completion! Even with a few sleepless nights!
Keep up the good work!