Is this a JCW Mini or not? - Page 4 - North American Motoring

JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Is this a JCW Mini or not?

Old 07-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Platinum Sponsor

Pull up and pop off, but the U shape is different. Some people mod them to fit. My guess is that's what they did

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-all-gens.html
Old 07-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A383Wing View Post
Yea, yer right, they are "SPC"......I was trying to remember without looking at the picture.....my bad......

This car and the heat up here is getting to me.....

Here are pics of the upper mounts

Bryan
If you get it running be sure to have the car aligned. That plate next to the ECU appears to have allot of positive camber when you should have negative camber (closer to the engine)
Old 07-13-2018, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A383Wing View Post
No, is this something that I can do here at the house? How do I do this?
You would need to download the programs onto your computer. Finding a free download is a hit and miss as many do not have the MINI files in place. You also need a OSB2 cord to hook up to your computer. Sometimes you can buy a cord that also has a program disc that you can download. Need to make sure you download a program that works with your Windows platform and then you need to have a cord that has the switch between terminals 7 and 8 (pretty sure I have the numbers correct).

Sometimes you can get a OBD2 Reader that will show many of the output values.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts View Post
If you get it running be sure to have the car aligned. That plate next to the ECU appears to have allot of positive camber when you should have negative camber (closer to the engine)

Yea, I noticed that....it will be on my list if & when this engine runs again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts View Post
You would need to download the programs onto your computer. Finding a free download is a hit and miss as many do not have the MINI files in place. You also need a OSB2 cord to hook up to your computer. Sometimes you can buy a cord that also has a program disc that you can download. Need to make sure you download a program that works with your Windows platform and then you need to have a cord that has the switch between terminals 7 and 8 (pretty sure I have the numbers correct).

Sometimes you can get a OBD2 Reader that will show many of the output values.

More work than I feel like doing.....I'll let RPM Motorsports deal with the electronics.....
Old 07-13-2018, 05:12 PM
2nd Gear

I got my new cam sensor installed today.....the new crank sensor arrived late this afternoon....too late and too hot to deal with it today....I'll install the crank sensor this weekend and then see if it fires up......
Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM
1st Gear

Good luck! Positive thoughts sent your way.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
1st Gear

You'll get this figured out. I'm wondering if the previous owner fried the ECU with an aftermarket coil.
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokbolt View Post
You'll get this figured out. I'm wondering if the previous owner fried the ECU with an aftermarket coil.

I put the new cam & crank sensors in, still no "Varoooom" from the car......(sigh)

The coil that's on the engine now is a stock coil, and it's good, I swapped it over to my '04 MCS and the engine started.

I do wonder about a fried ECU because the kid I got this car from hooked the battery up backwards when I went to look at the car a couple nights before I bought it......I was watching him have issues with the battery cable, then I told him the battery was in backwards. The kid was a few French fries short of a Happy Meal for sure.

So, a short recap here of the "cranks, but no start" issue with this '06 R52 MCS JCW car:

The kid I bought the car from says engine is a replacement with 70,000 miles on it
Engine cranks fine, just will not start
Fuses under hood and inside the car are all good
I do not have spark out of the ignition coil
I do not have "noid light blink" at the injectors
Have fuel pressure, 52lbs with key on
Have 170lbs compression in all cylinders
Have 12v power to ignition coil, (coil is good, I swapped it to my '04 R53 and that car started, I put the coil from the running R53 on to the R52, still no fire)
Installed new crank & cam sensors, have 12v power to both sensors, still no start
My tach needle rises a bit while cranking, the scanner shows RPM while cranking
My scanner shows "Immobilizer - disable" on the screen when looking at the data.
I pulled the EWS module out and disconnected it, now the car will not even crank, so I plugged it back in, cranks now, but no fire
I have no "chime" from the car when I hold the key next to the ignition switch, and no "chime" when key is in ignition and door is open
I cannot open the doors or the trunk using the key fob buttons. My Mini dealer says the key is good, they tested it when I took it there to see if it was bad.

I'm about out of ideas here, I have been in contact with RPM Motorsports to make arrangements to send my key, EWS, & ECU to them for diagnosis.

I'm gonna post this "Cranks but won't fire" issue over in the "Stock problems" section and see if anyone else there has any ideas before I mail off the modules & key to RPM Motorsports next week.

I'm not giving up yet, but I'm running out of options here. I have been an auto technician since 1974, and this car is kicking my butt, which is why I posted this thread here......

So, I'm at a strand still unless someone has a brainstorm idea why it won't fire when trying to start.

I thank everyone for ideas & help

Bryan

Last edited by A383Wing; Yesterday at 07:15 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM
6th Gear

I don’t remember seeing it earlier, but the battery hooked up backwards probably fried something important.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
6th Gear

Did you check to see if the coil is getting any power from the small harness plugged into it? Also, what about fuel pressure or if the injectors are actually delivering fuel?
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-MINI View Post
I don’t remember seeing it earlier, but the battery hooked up backwards probably fried something important.
Yea, I'm not sure if I mentioned that before or not, I just remembered that today as I was typing out what I have checked out and replaced on the engine

My apologies for not remembering that earlier

Bryan
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-MINI View Post
Did you check to see if the coil is getting any power from the small harness plugged into it? Also, what about fuel pressure or if the injectors are actually delivering fuel?
Yes, as stated above, the coil, both the cam and crank sensors have 12v power when key is on. Fuel pressure is 52-54lbs, but I have no injector pulse while cranking, no noid light flash from my testers

Bryan