JCW Issue with JCW Pro Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 08:58 AM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
There is a guy out of Greece that makes them. I discovered him on JCW Facebook group, I sent him a link to this post.

The following users liked this post:
MikeMJCW (09-23-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 02:15 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by CarFreak427
We have successfully stopped this problem on at least one car I know of by ordering and replacing the Bluetooth controller here at my dealer.
kfmuller or CarFreak427... or anyone else! Anyone have a part # for the replacement receiver module?

I'm having the same issue as everyone else... valve closes by itself randomly. Seems to be when I'm in the city, or driving in traffic. Dealership tech suggested it was because the system knows I'm driving slowly, so shuts off the "track" mode. And yeah if I drive it hard, it stays open... well yeah, because I'm not around other cars then. Anyway. I'll try another dealership. But would be good to have the info on replacing just the receiver that seems to be faulty.

Thanks

Old 11-04-2018, 02:20 PM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by J_L
kfmuller or CarFreak427... or anyone else! Anyone have a part # for the replacement receiver module?

I'm having the same issue as everyone else... valve closes by itself randomly. Seems to be when I'm in the city, or driving in traffic. Dealership tech suggested it was because the system knows I'm driving slowly, so shuts off the "track" mode. And yeah if I drive it hard, it stays open... well yeah, because I'm not around other cars then. Anyway. I'll try another dealership. But would be good to have the info on replacing just the receiver that seems to be faulty.

Thanks
We had this exact same issue, took it to the dealer twice, in they end they acknowledged that the module was faulty. They replaced the module and it has worked flawlessly since, never close on its own since.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:02 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Jcw

Originally Posted by MomMini
We had this exact same issue, took it to the dealer twice, in they end they acknowledged that the module was faulty. They replaced the module and it has worked flawlessly since, never close on its own since.
Your reply is very reassuring to me. I have a 2019 S on order and am having the JCW tuning kit installed.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:22 PM
J_L
5th Gear
@dpcompt- I'm sure they have the issue worked out by now. And even if you do get a unit that's been sitting on the shelf for 2 years and turns out to be defective, I'm sure your dealer would take care of you.

But as for me.... well I'm giving up and going to plan B. Took it to one dealer, who said it's supposed to close after a few minutes. Right. Took it to another dealer, who thought that the issue had merit, and was ready to contact the manufacturer to get the ball rolling... but we would need to start with a $190 diagnosis fee, considering I didn't buy or have the kit installed by them. That's fair enough. My hope was that they would have been familiar with the issue, and known how to order the part, and we'd go from there. Oh well. Next, I contacted the manufacturer of the kit, Red Arch in the UK. They said they don't sell parts directly, but give this number to the parts counter: 2450118. Did that, and got a quote of $567! Hahaha...

So. Plan B is to hard-wire a switch. Anyone have any advice before I start cutting wires? I know little to nothing about electronics. I think if I can figure out how it wants to get power (momentary, continuous, and does it need to reverse to close?), then I can probably figure out the right switch and get it in there. Will start looking at off-the-shelf hard-wired kits too, see what they use. Or maybe just order a cheap kit off Jegs and use the electronics.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:21 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
You can permanently prevent the valve from closing by unplugging it from the module behind the cover inside the passenger side of the trunk. It's a grey connector with a push tab. Once you open the valve and unplug it's harness from the module, it will be open permanently. It should not be closing by itself for any reason, but we have seen this a few times and have had success replacing the module, if the customer still wants it to open and close. Some of them are also happy to discover they can have it always open. I'll look for the part number for you.

twinskrol (05-30-2019)
Old 11-10-2018, 07:25 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
18302450118 is the part number for the module.

ECSTuning (11-12-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 09:27 AM
J_L
5th Gear
CarFreak- thanks for the #! I couldn't find that in a search, for the life of me... Good to have that info. Although the part is about $500... so yeah I'm going to find a hard-wire solution. I'm aware of the unplugging method, but I want to keep the sleeper option available at the push of a button. Good for dropping kids off school, and passing cops. =)

Old 11-13-2018, 07:37 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi guys, my car has the same issue, I have that issue since buying and installing the kit. Right now the car is at the dealer and still they keep saying " we cannot find anything wrong with it" does anyone has a service order showing what exactly was done to see if this dealer can finally fix my car? Thank you guys

Old 11-13-2018, 08:22 PM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Here is description from service invoice. I have nit had any issue since. I was told by service tech that they had to replace module. It was covered under warranty..

Maintenance inspection completed

Transfer module/computer reprogrammed

Fluids checked

Last edited by MomMini; 11-13-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:48 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MomMini
Here is description from service invoice. I have nit had any issue since. I was told by service tech that they had to replace module. It was covered under warranty..

Maintenance inspection completed

Transfer module/computer reprogrammed

Fluids checked

Hi,

Thank you!

Old 11-16-2018, 05:56 AM
Frosty_Ohio
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I send him an email and have not received a response as yet. I would love the file or at least a drawing of the part.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:58 AM
J_L
5th Gear
This is the part # of the receiver unit:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...on=18302450118

The info from MomMini is interesting- sounds like they updated the software, rather than replacing the unit. If that works, great... I'd spring for that. Beats $500 for a replacement! I'd be kinda surprised though... this thing is made by a 3rd party, not Mini. I wonder if that work order just means they updated her car's software in general, just because it's in the shop. Checked the fluids at the same time, etc.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Update:

My dealer claims the fix for the issue is only avaliable if your car has a manual transmission. So as this moment I have a car that I cant use the track mode because it just does not work. I just called corporate and asked for a refund since I paid cash for that JCW tunning kit.

Lets see how it goes but if I cannot find a resolution for this then bye bye mini cooper and bmw all together. :(

Old 11-19-2018, 10:34 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Ranger- I agree, that makes zero sense. Your dealer is lying to you, hoping you'll just go away. Find another dealer, or escalate the issue to corporate, as you've done. Let us know what happens!

Old 11-19-2018, 02:30 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Yep agree, lets see what corporate says

Old 11-19-2018, 02:57 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
I think your dealer, or service rep, is not being honest. My car has the JCW "Pro" exhaust and an auto trans and it works fine in either mode.
I had a windshield wiper break on an Audi with 200 miles and had to have the car towed ( heavy rain) to the nearest Audi dealer. The service rep accused me of breaking the wiper and forced me to pay for the repair. Of course when I got home I sent a scathing e-mail to Audi and a copy the the dealer's owner( over the years I had purchased 3 cars from the dealer). I got my money back and a free oil change down the road.
Many service reps are paid a salary and bonuses based on volume.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:03 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dpcompt
I think your dealer, or service rep, is not being honest. My car has the JCW "Pro" exhaust and an auto trans and it works fine in either mode.
I had a windshield wiper break on an Audi with 200 miles and had to have the car towed ( heavy rain) to the nearest Audi dealer. The service rep accused me of breaking the wiper and forced me to pay for the repair. Of course when I got home I sent a scathing e-mail to Audi and a copy the the dealer's owner( over the years I had purchased 3 cars from the dealer). I got my money back and a free oil change down the road.
Many service reps are paid a salary and bonuses based on volume.
I also had similar experience, I have the tire protection warranty with the dealer ( not the one fixing the JCW flap issue ) and on a sunday my car got a flat ( run flat tires ) called the dealer and they told me to go, when over there and they refuse to even keep the car because it was sunday. I drove back the car with a flat and posted a nice review on Facebook. Next day the dealer manager called me, replaced both front tires and did a nice clean detail on the car.

If by tomorrow I dont get an anser as I was promised then FB review and email to the owner as well and if still no answer then lemow law, I have all the receipts proving all the times I have been at the dealer.

This dealer is one of the best ones in Miami, they sell Ferrari, Roy Roice, BMW, Cadillac and many more exotic brands so I hope they will do the right thing and fix it or refund me my money.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:42 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
I just have to mention that the MINI dealer's, Niello of Sacramento, service dept is top notch. And, their prices for regular services are competitive.I didn't want to confuse them with my Audi experience at Lasher.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:28 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Well,
mini called me and refuse to refund me the money claiming the dealer should and that only help they can give me is to email the dealer and ask the tech there to “show me” how to use the track mode.

I called the dealer manager and got the same bs answer.

So as of this moment I have a garbage exhaust that does not work and my dealer thinks I am stupid and have no idea how to use it. Funny I am an Engineer and I work in product development for a living but I guess thats stupid for them.

I am so fed up and mad now that I just want to go sell the car even if I lose tons of money ( which I will ) and get another brand.

I never though a lexury brand could have such a bad customer service.

Btw the dealer name is Braman Mini of Miami for the people wondering.

This was my first and last mini thats for sure :(

Old 11-20-2018, 10:38 AM
dpcompt
5th Gear
pro exhaust

Originally Posted by ranger052
Well,
mini called me and refuse to refund me the money claiming the dealer should and that only help they can give me is to email the dealer and ask the tech there to “show me” how to use the track mode.

I called the dealer manager and got the same bs answer.

So as of this moment I have a garbage exhaust that does not work and my dealer thinks I am stupid and have no idea how to use it. Funny I am an Engineer and I work in product development for a living but I guess thats stupid for them.

I am so fed up and mad now that I just want to go sell the car even if I lose tons of money ( which I will ) and get another brand.

I never though a lexury brand could have such a bad customer service.

Btw the dealer name is Braman Mini of Miami for the people wondering.

This was my first and last mini thats for sure :(
The service rep is lying to you. Complain on Facebook and every MINI forum and make sure the dealer sees copies. Just keep it simple and factual. They'll get back to you.

Last edited by dpcompt; 11-20-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: change
Old 11-20-2018, 10:50 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dpcompt
The service rep is lying to you. Complain on Facebook and every MINI forum and make sure the dealer sees copies. Just keep it simple and factual. They'll get back to you.
That is the plan, I will also make a video of the issue and post it on FB and youtube

Old 11-20-2018, 12:54 PM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
You had it installed at that dealer correct? Try talking to the owner, if that doesn't work try another dealership. If all fails record your complaint in writing to MINI USA then contact the BBB and your local AG's office or whoever does consumer affairs in FL.
Don't give up on the car yet, worst case it needs a module and/or remote. I'm sure you'll get this resolved.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:41 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MikeMJCW
You had it installed at that dealer correct? Try talking to the owner, if that doesn't work try another dealership. If all fails record your complaint in writing to MINI USA then contact the BBB and your local AG's office or whoever does consumer affairs in FL.
Don't give up on the car yet, worst case it needs a module and/or remote. I'm sure you'll get this resolved.
Hi,

thats exacly what I am currently doing, I already posted reviews on the dealer facebook ang google amd also on Mini Cooper Facebook page. I will also take videos as proof and take the car to another dealer in about 3 weeks or so ( I am traveling to MA Boston in 3 days and wont be back till december 16 ) if they also fail to fix it then BBB and lawyer will have to be involve.

I love this car so much, the way it drive and handle but this exhaust thing man is so frustrating:(

MikeMJCW (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 07:04 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Hi again,

Is there a way to check using Bimmerapp if my car has the correct coding for the JCW tuning kit? at this moment I am really having doubts if indeed it is codded for the extra performance. Any advice pls

Quick Reply: JCW Issue with JCW Pro Exhaust