JCW Issue with JCW Pro Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 04:24 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Mine has no issues when I am driving in the twisties with little traffic other than other performance driving small cars. However, when I am in the city (Cincinnati) and traveling the clogged Interstates where there are no viable alternatives I have experienced the exhaust closing and attribute it to the plethora of blue tooth devices being used in close proximity. It has never closed randomly on backroads or the track.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:59 PM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love you guys/gals

Per my signature, just picked up my new JWC-International Orange on Saturday. Was frustrated that sometimes the flap would open and other times not. Was about to post a thread wondering if I was screwing up what appears to be pretty simple double click. Then, I saw info on disconnecting. Kept vehicle running with flap open. Disconnected the harness. Bingo . Turned off, Restarted. GREAT!. No more screwing around with the button.
QUESTION: Often it seems it takes 20-30 seconds after start up and putting it in Sport Mode, before I finally start to hear pops. Explanation please, is that normal?
My appreciation to members. Was away from MINI since 2012.Glad I am back!

Last edited by DoubleNick; 06-26-2019 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Altecfenix (06-28-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 05:24 AM
RLM
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleNick
QUESTION: Often it seems it takes 20-30 seconds after start up and putting it in Sport Mode, before I finally start to hear pops. Explanation please, is that normal?
My appreciation to members. Was away from MINI since 2012.Glad I am back!
The car needs to get to operating temperature first before it will allow the pops. also note, if the EGT's (exhaust Gas Temps) get too high, it will stop the pops to allow them to cool down, then will start again.

DoubleNick (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 08:55 AM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Again, thanks for the info. My neighbors have survived 5.0 Mustangs with off road H-Pipes, Z 28’s with LoudMouth exhausts, My Vette with the LM, my old JCW with resonator delete, Solo exhaust on another Mustang, a Race exhaust on my Miata, and of course my old Abarth, the only car I didn’t have to mod the exhaust.
What I like about the Pro exhaust, it can be quiet when needed. I pulled the cable- keeps the flap open, when I need to be nice I flip whatever the 2 other modes are.
When I was 16 I loved loud exhausts, closing in on 76, still do. Nick

sbreech (06-29-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:01 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Heads up to all still having issues with their system- @SoCalF56 came up with a great hard-wired system using a relay box and a bit of wiring to the cable / control box from the JCW system. I just finished putting it all together and in the car, and it works great. Hard button for on and off, each and every time, stays in the mode you left it in when starting the car again, and never gets shut down from interference. No remote to lose or battery to replace. I'll be posting soon with instructions and a diagram.

=)

The following 5 users liked this post by J_L:
Altecfenix (06-28-2019), Frosty_Ohio (06-28-2019), invaliduser (06-27-2019), the901 (07-03-2019), vetsvette (06-27-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Altecfenix
2nd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L
Heads up to all still having issues with their system- @SoCalF56 came up with a great hard-wired system using a relay box and a bit of wiring to the cable / control box from the JCW system. I just finished putting it all together and in the car, and it works great. Hard button for on and off, each and every time, stays in the mode you left it in when starting the car again, and never gets shut down from interference. No remote to lose or battery to replace. I'll be posting soon with instructions and a diagram.

=)
Cant wait for the instructions!

Old 06-28-2019, 10:41 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L

=)
I have have multiple EE's in my office. If there is enough interest I could potentially do a small production run of complete kits to bypass the bluetooth function.

Last edited by charrigan; 06-28-2019 at 09:53 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by charrigan:
Altecfenix (06-28-2019), Frosty_Ohio (06-28-2019), invaliduser (06-29-2019), vetsvette (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 01:29 PM
J_L
5th Gear
@charrigan, sure, that could be great. Although the design is done and ready to build... unless they see any areas for improvement. Other than that, I think it's something that could be done by a couple high school kids from the robotics club. Just a bunch of wiring really.

Final result:

How to:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4479396

The following 5 users liked this post by J_L:
Altecfenix (07-01-2019), Beemerchef (11-03-2019), F56-JCDub (06-29-2019), invaliduser (07-01-2019), vetsvette (06-29-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:46 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Separate issue... anyone else have problems with the mid-pipe clamp coming undone? Admittedly, mine is a bit rusty- I think it spent some time on the east coast. But it's come loose twice, and I feel like I really cranked on it. Had my mechanic do it on the second time just now. He thought it's not the nuts coming loose, but the metal stretching. I dunno. Thinking to add lock washers if it happens again. Anyone else?

Old 09-30-2019, 04:09 PM
jcwminimax
1st Gear
So just to add a question to this thread. Just installed mine last weekend. It doesn't close by itself... but it seems that sometimes the button doesn't respond... is that normal? I'd say after 2/3 attempts it opens every time... but I just didn't expect it to lag like that...

Old 09-30-2019, 08:04 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L
Separate issue... anyone else have problems with the mid-pipe clamp coming undone? Admittedly, mine is a bit rusty- I think it spent some time on the east coast. But it's come loose twice, and I feel like I really cranked on it. Had my mechanic do it on the second time just now. He thought it's not the nuts coming loose, but the metal stretching. I dunno. Thinking to add lock washers if it happens again. Anyone else?
Had this happen to me last month, driving through the canyon and the MINI started sounding really odd and at a stop was shaking violently underneath. The mid-pipe clamp was coming undone and good thing there's a cross brace to hold it in place, my JCW is only 4 months old. I was really upset cause this was just another issue I was having about MINI's questionable build quality. So I jacked it up in the garage and fixed it with the impact wrench, then hit it with the Red Cross check to see if that damn bolt ever comes loose again.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:20 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, after my JCW showing 30K [+/-] the flap decided to not open a couple mornings ago. It was the first day the temp dropped to freezing and somehow as I never believe in coincidences in Life I figured it was the cold affecting the metal friction/movement. I hope this makes sense!!!!
So I drove it up my Mountains for a while and pulled over at a vista parking to try again. It worked...
I had bookmarked a while back on how to permanently fix the flap to the open position as I knew some day this would happen MyRedMini.com. [How to keep your F-56 JCW Tuning Kit always on]. Took me less than 5 minutes and that was that! One less function when driving the car as I have NEVER driven this car only in sport mode and flap open...
I do live in a very quiet neighborhood but basically just idle onto the main road only a mile away from the Mountain road going up.

I need to add another point having to do with the future longevity of the car. I happen to read this also on another Forum and yet have been doing it all my Life with all my cars and motorcycles also.

From a cold start I drive a couple miles never going over 2500RPM after idling the engine at a stand still for a few minutes. On my way back home, I slow down on those same miles [maybe more than 2!] and drive the car again never going over 2500RPM. When finally parked, I let the engine run for a few minutes...

I am not a mechanic or engineer and I am not professing that this indeed helps the longevity of the engine. It just to me has always made sense... and feels good to do so! Just as today at 74 I need some time in the morning with high test coffee to start running on all cylinders!!!

Old 11-03-2019, 08:13 AM
robby71
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by charrigan
I have have multiple EE's in my office. If there is enough interest I could potentially do a small production run of complete kits to bypass the bluetooth function.
Any updates on this?

Old 01-15-2020, 09:18 AM
Bald Headed Traveler
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2019 F57 MCS convertible with the S3ARA factory bike rack option. Dealership was not able to install JCW PRO exhaust due to the wiring module for the bike rack kit occupying the space needed for the module for the. JCW Pro exhaust module. They are waiting to hear back from BMW with ideas.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:51 PM
KamGraphica
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This the same issue I've been experiencing on my 2015 JCW. I took the car in for service Nov 2019 and they said they ordered a new module in the rear and a remote. It wasn't clear if they flashed the firmware for this but regardless it's still not working as it was when I first received it.

I also have an Apple Watch and I can absolutely say that the Bluetooth signal from the watch interferes with the exhaust controller. It's completely random in how it behaves, one click, two clicks, three it opens. Annoying to say the least and yes opening the valve and disconnecting the harness works but living in Los Angeles with an open exhaust is like a honey pot. Having the convenience of controlling when you want it open and or closed is a major factor.

I have an appointment tomorrow at a different dealership to see if they can rectify the issue with a firmware update.

To top it off, I told the dealer not to wash my car because I have a front plate holder in the front bumper, my license plate came out like a taco and the plate holder was completely bent and the interior trim was not put back as it was when I brought the car in.

I can tell you to stay away from the MINI dealership by Signal Hill, CA. I'll let you figure that one out.

Quality dealership work

Quality dealership work

Quality dealership work

Old 09-17-2020, 09:30 AM
Chellcey Vecchio
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does keeping it open all the time have any negative effects other than the car just being loud all the time?

Old 09-18-2020, 03:14 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Chellcey Vecchio
Does keeping it open all the time have any negative effects other than the car just being loud all the time?
Only that every "hot" piece of junk, with a bear-can exhaust, wants to pass you. Sometimes, Camaros, Mustangs, and Chragers will do the same. BMWs not so much.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:40 AM
Andy from Hull
Neutral
Was there ever a final resolution to this thread, i.e. was a TBS issued by MINI USA? I have an appointment on 5/23/2023 at Crevier Mini, Santa Ana, SoCal. I've already spoken to the service manager. He said he will try to work with MINI to have at least the replacement module covered. However, it looks like I'm going to get stuck with a diagnostic fee and the labor charge, if not the entire cost. If that is the case, I will save the money and hassle and drive with the flap wide open on a permanent basis.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:47 AM
RetroBoat
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck. I got lucky and had mine replaced under warranty years back the car only had 3,500 miles on it. I was told they replaced the module. I'm guessing it might be a common problem ?

Last edited by RetroBoat; 05-18-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Andy from Hull (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 10:53 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I got mine repaired under warranty. It's a known issue with the module in the back. Once they replaced it, I never had the issue again. They should take care of all of the costs given the situation.

The following 2 users liked this post by kfmuller:
Andy from Hull (05-18-2023), RetroBoat (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 11:07 AM
RetroBoat
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I do think the whole thing is overrated. I'm told it only adds something like 6-7 HP. Don't feel it by seat of the pants just a little more growl and pops. Not a big fan of the popping.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:37 AM
Andy from Hull
Neutral
The majority of the added hp comes from the tuning kit and the reprogramming. The exhaust adds about 8hp. It's more for the sound effect. I love it as does the wife. She drives it mostly and has asked me to unplug the module again, so she can have permanent 'loud' mode.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yep its like 15HP for non JCW cars, for JCW cars their is no tune (maybe 6-8hp), its mostly for sound and function.

It does look nice with the CF tips and fits the car well in design.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Andy from Hull (05-18-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 12:13 PM
starman202
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For those that may now be out of warranty with the vavle being stuck issue (or Bluetooth remote issue); I think this is a workaround that can apply perfectly with our cars

Electronic Exhaust Valve Harness – Valvetronic Designs

I reached out to Valvetronic and they confirmed it should work with the JCW Pro exhaust. You'd eliminate the JCW original module, wiring harness, and Bluetooth adapter. Their module just uses the cigarette outlet which we can wire up to the trunk. The remote uses the same RF frequencies as US Car Garage Door openers (i say US because I think Europe is on a different frequency). So those who have homelink mirror option, can program one of those buttons to control the exhaust valve!

I'm tempted to give this a try to be honest....