JCW JCW KO4 GT dominator upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 01:15 PM
havy
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JCW KO4 GT dominator upgrade

So I bought a 2014 used (new to me) CM JCW edition. I quickly started some changes, added aFe intake, and did the 3 inch downpipe cat delete, and manic tune stage 2. Loving it.

So while taking to the mechanic, I decided that I'm gonna add some intake hoses, change the cooling hoses, upgrade the intercooler, and add a KO4 gt dominator turbo with Manic stage 3. Now the mechanic runs his JCW with this turbo and did not forge the internals without probs. This guy races his mini and knows a little something about these cars. I'm already committed to this, but wanted to hear experiences if you have any on this particular mod without doing internals. I heard the compression ratio is slightly decreased and for this reason tolerates the higher boost pressures. I have no experience in this aspect, love to learn, but I just want to prepare myself for what I'm getting into, possible failures, I know the clutch will be the first thing to go, at 38000 miles, with this mod, it could go at any time I know (hopefully not yet, got to save some $$$ for this and other future repairs/or mods)

thanks

Old 04-24-2018, 02:27 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I run a larger turbo on my JCW stock block for the last 30K with zero hiccups. I was on Manic Stage 3 but now I changed over to RPM Power stage 3. Let me know if I can help with tuning or picking out the correct turbo for a AWD Countryman

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 04-24-2018, 02:44 PM
havy
1st Gear
Thanks, just wanted to make sure I in the right direction. For now I have everything set, just waiting to hear from the mechanic that everything has arrive to mount up. From I've read, your input ways heavily and is greatly appreciated. I the future gonna be looking of clutch for sure, any help from prior experiences also welcome.
I appreciate your feedback, thankyou.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:45 PM
havy
1st Gear
Sweet looking ride btw!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:34 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
MarioKart has tuned and installed more turbos and parts than almost everyone here in this forum. He's a trusted source for sure!

I don't have a JCW but having the S engine I'm sure you can imagine that if my engine can handle it, yours definitely can. MarioKart had my bigger turbo installed, the 47mm turbo, and tuned my car with the Manic Stage 3, running at ~23psi. Been running strong for 3 years. I also had a 6 Puck clutch (stage 4) installed to handle the upped power and torque. An upgraded clutch is a must when going with the 47mm.

See my signature to see what else Ive done to my car. Happy Motoring!

Old 04-27-2018, 03:38 AM
havy
1st Gear
Hey,
thanks for the reassurance, I’ve been following your posts as well. Nice car too!
Really looking forwards to my new mods. Will be upgradind the clutch soon too. I will be looking into this. Has it been tougher to have this clutch vs something that doesnt hold as well for a daily driver, stop and go traffic and such? Im a little confused with what I might get into if my car is a daily driver and I upgrade the clutch too much. I want it to last, but be drivable.... I guess anything is drivable, just got to get ised to it. Never the less it would be good to know what to expect.
thanks for your post.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:54 AM
AWD_Rally

The 6 puck is pre sprung so it's actually lighter than the stock clutch. It's also a slightly "rougher" engagement (less room for it to catch), but nothing too bad. Just slip it a bit more and it works perfect, this clutch likes to be beat on. I actually prefer it over the OE clutch.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:25 PM
havy
1st Gear
@AWD_RALLY, just noticed your runinng 17 inch rims. what brakes do you have? I have JCW brakes and not sure the 17" rims fit, looking to change from my 18's soon. I origionally thought about lifting 2 inches, but the stance I like, heights pretty good, but the 18" rims and runflats give a harsh ride. I would rather have 17 0r 16inch tire, but I fear the brakes may not allow it. What's been your experience? I'm even entertaining changing the breaks out for some willwoods maybe. Gonna have to change pads soon.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:52 PM
AWD_Rally

I have the stock brakes. I don't track my car so the brakes are plenty for what I need them for. I'll upgrade pads when the time comes to replace, then upgrade the rotors when the stocks are worn out. Beyond that I don't really need to spend $2k to $3k on a BBK right now. I put a super nice BBK kit (front and rear) on an E46M3 and didn't gain anything spectacular since 99% of my driving is street and hwy driving, other than looks. So I opted to save that money for other mods I'd enjoy. I did put SS lines on and that made a huge different in feel and response.

My wheels (ApexRaceParts) will fit just about any BBK in them, they're designed for track racing, so the JCW brakes will definitely fit these. I can't say the same for other 17" brands.