JCW Dinantronics Elite a scam?

Old 05-14-2018, 07:34 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I just dont get it. Hopefully they get back on the right track soon.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:20 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
FWIW I’m still in this hell boat. Customer service has been great recently but it’s still throwing codes and still only felt really strong once. No ******* idea over here. DINAN even paid out of their pocket to get my boost sensor changed because they thought that was it. They’re trying but yet again I’m waiting on a reply from them. My dealer is 45mins away and I’m over making the trip. This has been since 2017! Way please just take this thing back!

Last edited by vetsvette; 05-16-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 AM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if the 3rd unit doesn't work. I am getting a refund and doing something else. There is no reason it shouldn't work.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:20 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottkenny
if the 3rd unit doesn't work. I am getting a refund and doing something else. There is no reason it shouldn't work.
You have a true 2.0 JCW right? I can’t help but wonder if it simply does to work right with the JCW. :/

Old 05-16-2018, 07:45 PM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by phantasms

You have a true 2.0 JCW right? I can’t help but wonder if it simply does to work right with the JCW. :/
for what it's worth racechip has two completely different programs for jcw vs S. You need to specify when you order and if you upgrade your S to a JCW tune you need to ship it to get reprogrammed.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by phantasms

yup. Built it at the dealership. Glad I spent the money for the boost gauge

Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 PM
dscabrio
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a Dinan Elite model specifically for thr JCW. I have one on my F54 JCW and it has been fine for over 10000 miles. Sorry to see you are still having issues with the Dinan.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Masada
3rd Gear
Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts
This is a thread I have been following for a while. I really want to order the Elite for my JCW F54 but am worried about issues considering what I have read here. Hopefully you get things worked out Scottkenny...

Old 05-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by Masada
This is a thread I have been following for a while. I really want to order the Elite for my JCW F54 but am worried about issues considering what I have read here. Hopefully you get things worked out Scottkenny...
Honestly, go with a OBD ECU flash

Old 05-17-2018, 11:34 AM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Honestly, go with a OBD ECU flash
I reached out to ByteTronik who was really responsive in the emails. The only issue I had is that even though it was 200 dollars cheaper, I would have to install different plugs (which I was planning on doing at somepoint anyways), but the horsepower gain that they said was lower than the Elite. I would imagine if I was able to dynotune with the ODB it would be able to be programmed with better AFR data and I could probably squeeze more power than the Elite, but to dyno tune around me would cost roughly 1000.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:16 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Yeah, I see where you are coming from but (in my opinion) a dedicated ECU flash tune is a lot safer than a piggyback that is tricking systems to do things they are supposed to do

Like I said before, that is whats great about these systems, we have options finally!

The spark plugs will take you 30mins tops. Its probably faster to install them then the Elite

Old 05-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Yeah, I see where you are coming from but (in my opinion) a dedicated ECU flash tune is a lot safer than a piggyback that is tricking systems to do things they are supposed to do

Like I said before, that is whats great about these systems, we have options finally!

The spark plugs will take you 30mins tops. Its probably faster to install them then the Elite
I agree, if I would have known about ODB flash systems before I started this I probably would have gone that direction. I used to use COBB on my Subaru. Unfortunately the ODB flashing isn't as publicized as the piggy back modules. The only good thing about the Elite is it isn't quite the same as the Sport or other piggy back models because it is more of an inline model like a powercommander. I feel that with the NM, Sport and the other true piggy back systems they are more of a deception type tune. Where as the Elite acutally interfaces with the components and ECU together using the software.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
That statement is supported by what evidence? As far as my reading on this forum, I only recall one fairly recent episode of a guy blowing up his engine with an ECU tune. Don't see any such thing with a piggyback, specifically Dinan box.

Now I'm not a fan of the treatment to the OP or the other member who is also having issues, so Dinan rates pretty low with me on customer support. But if the box is running correctly, it works like a charm.

As to cheating, how do you really know what the ECU programmers are doing to your car? No long term track record to say you won't be on the side of the road picking up engine bits, anymore than I will.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:52 PM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=As to cheating, how do you really know what the ECU programmers are doing to your car? No long term track record to say you won't be on the side of the road picking up engine bits, anymore than I will.[/QUOTE]

You don't, however even with the one of the best tuners in he world doing an ECU ODB tune, I still had my previous modded Subaru with 6 inch hole in the block from detonation due to low oil pressure. But with 32 pounds of boost and an aluminum block I am sure it was bound to happen anyways LOL.

If this next Elite doesn't work, ByteTronik will be getting my money.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
That statement is supported by what evidence?
Thats why I said in my opinion

Ive seen completely stock, unmodded cars blow engines so it is all one big roll of the dice. I just feel "more" safe with a flashed ECU.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Thats why I said in my opinion

Ive seen completely stock, unmodded cars blow engines so it is all one big roll of the dice. I just feel "more" safe with a flashed ECU.
"a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge"

You get a pass this time.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Looks like I am in the slow line again. I got to send the old unit back ground, and now I am getting the new one sent to me ground. I have sent a couple of emails about it and asking questions on what was wrong with the old unit so I can get it working but haven't heard any responses back. Who knows when the third unit will arrive or if it will even work at this point.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:39 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Looks like I am in the slow line again. I got to send the old unit back ground, and now I am getting the new one sent to me ground. I have sent a couple of emails about it and asking questions on what was wrong with the old unit so I can get it working but haven't heard any responses back. Who knows when the third unit will arrive or if it will even work at this point.
Wow, that stinks. I'm sure glad mine worked out of the box .hopefully they've figured this out and fixed the glitch. I noticed their website lists this model as back ordered now.

--Matt

Old 05-25-2018, 06:59 AM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Response from Dinan when asked about status of 3RD UNIT
"Gary Holford (Dinan Cars)

May 25, 08:40 CDT
We have been out of stock of that tuner for a few days, I am checking with the shipping department this morning to see if we can ship one today.
Dinan Warranty & Technical Support"

Looks like I have just about reached my threshold for pain on this one.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:48 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Can you ask them for a refund since they have your tuner already?

Old 05-25-2018, 07:48 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Response from Dinan when asked about status of 3RD UNIT
"Gary Holford (Dinan Cars)

May 25, 08:40 CDT
We have been out of stock of that tuner for a few days, I am checking with the shipping department this morning to see if we can ship one today.
Dinan Warranty & Technical Support"

Looks like I have just about reached my threshold for pain on this one.

dude this is mind boggling. get a refund and don't look back.

If you still want to go with a piggyback similar to the dinan look into going with racechip or jb4.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:22 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Mods are volunteers so it's not like someone could fire them or it would matter if they did

When your vendor is MIA and your members are getting screwed you have to do what's best for the members.

If Dinan can't get their stuff right for one guy it would explain loss in profits over the last decade.

I think with the move they should really think about a restructuring of how they operate.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:30 AM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
I spoke with the sales rep manager they are trying to figure it out. We agreed that if they can’t get me something by the end of the weekend they will give a refund and if they can sort out the problem in the future they will send me a unit for free

Old 05-26-2018, 12:23 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
I spoke with the sales rep manager they are trying to figure it out. We agreed that if they can’t get me something by the end of the weekend they will give a refund and if they can sort out the problem in the future they will send me a unit for free
You are much more forgiving in this situation than I ever would be. Here's to hoping if you do get the part that you don't run into issues with it down the road and then go through this all again. Just something to think about

I think a full refund would be the best just to avoid the inevitable down the road.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:29 PM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Well there time finally ran out. I am asking for a full refund.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JCW Dinantronics Elite a scam?