Ways to tow a JCW? - North American Motoring

JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

Ways to tow a JCW?

Old 03-13-2018, 05:51 AM
2nd Gear
Ways to tow a JCW?

Hey all,

Recently I've taken interest in finding myself a JCW Mini. Problem is, most of what's advertised has been a distance away. So, in order to be prepared for the inevitable I have a few transport questions. I've trailered cars/motorcycles in the past, and I'm retired, so I'd like to save a few bucks and enjoy the experience by doing the job myself.

On the web are photos of U-Haul trailers and U-Haul tow dollies with Mini's on them but nothing showing a specific JCW model with the aero kit. I am sure this model, with it's lower profile and side skirts, changes things somewhat...right? Have any of you JCW owners ever strapped your cars down on U-Haul equipment, and what, if any, obstacles have you run into doing so? Are blocks needed in front of the ramps to clear the front spoiler...or do tie down straps need a special routing to get the car secured?

Is the use of a tow dolly advisable or not? If this is a viable towing solution please let me know what to watch out for when working with the JCW Mini.

In closing I would like to express my appreciation to all for your advice on how to best get one of these cars towed home safely. Any photos you may have of your JCW loaded and tied down on a U-Haul trailer or dolly would be very helpful. Thanks!

Rich B.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:18 PM
2nd Gear
You can do like I did. I rented a car here in Phoenix and drove to SoCal picked up my JCW Clubman and had a blast driving it home.