JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Ways to tow a JCW?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 05:51 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Ways to tow a JCW?

Hey all,

Recently I've taken interest in finding myself a JCW Mini. Problem is, most of what's advertised has been a distance away. So, in order to be prepared for the inevitable I have a few transport questions. I've trailered cars/motorcycles in the past, and I'm retired, so I'd like to save a few bucks and enjoy the experience by doing the job myself.

On the web are photos of U-Haul trailers and U-Haul tow dollies with Mini's on them but nothing showing a specific JCW model with the aero kit. I am sure this model, with it's lower profile and side skirts, changes things somewhat...right? Have any of you JCW owners ever strapped your cars down on U-Haul equipment, and what, if any, obstacles have you run into doing so? Are blocks needed in front of the ramps to clear the front spoiler...or do tie down straps need a special routing to get the car secured?

Is the use of a tow dolly advisable or not? If this is a viable towing solution please let me know what to watch out for when working with the JCW Mini.

In closing I would like to express my appreciation to all for your advice on how to best get one of these cars towed home safely. Any photos you may have of your JCW loaded and tied down on a U-Haul trailer or dolly would be very helpful. Thanks!

Rich B.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:18 PM
EdsNotHere
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
You can do like I did. I rented a car here in Phoenix and drove to SoCal picked up my JCW Clubman and had a blast driving it home.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:10 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Ive only towed mine on a flatbed..put the tow hooks in front/back and strapped it down .. Yes I would definitely bring 2x4's at least 2x per side; especially if you have a fJCW as the front clearance is a bit lower vs. 'S'. Could not have gotten the car onto or off of the trailer without them.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:48 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Towed mine off the Golden State freeway at 4am with a cradle on the front end. It was fine. Not for distance. Prefer flatbed. Towing off the tow hook - lol forgetaboutit! U Haul or Penske I'd use a trailer.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:59 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I towed my Gen1 from DC down to Raleigh with a U-haul type front wheel car tow dolly. No issues and my Vert is heavy in the butt than metal tops so would think it rode lower so cannot see an issue with an aero package.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 AM
TomL1013
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rented a UHaul vehicle trailer to pick mine up a couple of hundred miles away. I also have the Aero kit. To avoid bashing it on the trailer wheel stops, we loaded the car backwards. I don't think it is recommended, but I had no issues doing the transport that way. Just strap it down well and you'll be fine. The ramps allowed loading and unloading without scraping anything. Mine had the Sport Suspension+. No JCW lowering.