JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

are the production numbers for JCW known?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Ken Garchow
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
are the production numbers for JCW known?

i was wondering if there is a way to know how many JCW package were produced on different year minis?

for instance i have a 2005 r52 JCW and wondered how many were sold

thanks

Old 01-21-2018, 05:35 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I have looked in the past but never found anything.

Any pictures of yours? A Gen1 JCW Vert is a great car. Do you have a LSD?

Old 01-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
I'm also interested in production numbers, but haven't found anything substantive on the hard facts.

You can find general USA sales figures:
http://libraryofmotoring.info/2014/0...-2002-to-2013/

:

This is a good bit more specific, but instead of hard numbers they use percentages.
It is interesting though:
http://gtcarlot.com/data/Mini/Cooper/2005/

:

This old thread has some good info too:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...in-2009-a.html

:

I come from Saabworld and the info for the Special Performance Group 900 was readily available:

It'd be great to have a similar breakdown of JCW MINI's.

The information is actually out there, but I think it would require tremendous time and effort to compile it. Perhaps someone who is tech savvy and can write code could come up with a program to read all the VIN numbers for an entire year?

I've randomly went down the line by manually punching in the numbers at bimmer.work, for example, I ran the sequence between TN25350 - TN25360 and four cars were noted as JCW: TN25352, TN25356, TN25358, TN25360, but it's all random and would take forever to manually input by hand.
I'd also like a production breakdown of non-sunroof cars.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:31 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
The bigger problem is that the JCW kit was a dealer installed option, with parts freely available. Only in the fall of 2005 builds did they move that assembly in-house and start tracking it on the VIN. There's also the ones out there that were assembled at the dealer (or otherwise) after fall of 2005.

I have CE#13, made a day before CE#29, but his JCW kit number is less than mine.

Yes, in theory, you could track all the factory assembled JCW's with a mountain of work.

I would love a build list as well to see what was created from the factory across the years and options

Old 01-22-2018, 01:43 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
The information is actually out there, but I think it would require tremendous time and effort to compile it. Perhaps someone who is tech savvy and can write code could come up with a program to read all the VIN numbers for an entire year?
Obviously these VIN decoder websites have access to a database of production VIN. I suspect that they are accessing an interface available to dealers. If you had direct access to the database, it would be simple to query whatever information you want (e.g. red JCWs with leather seats produced from February to May 2005), and it may only require a single line of code. It's insane to consider trying to brute force querying every possible VIN. Essentially you're trying to reconstruct a database that already exists. Not that this helps you with your question, but it is private corporate data and they decide what they want to make public.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
Obviously these VIN decoder websites have access to a database of production VIN. I suspect that they are accessing an interface available to dealers. If you had direct access to the database, it would be simple to query whatever information you want (e.g. red JCWs with leather seats produced from February to May 2005), and it may only require a single line of code. It's insane to consider trying to brute force querying every possible VIN. Essentially you're trying to reconstruct a database that already exists. Not that this helps you with your question, but it is private corporate data and they decide what they want to make public.
That's a good point rkw.

It made me wonder how these things work as there are multiple variations out there pulling info from a main database somewhere as you said.

I am woefully inept and clueless with regards to computing, so no chance that I can figure anything out.

I went looking though, for the mothership and came across the ETK which may be the source.
Please pardon if this is redundant and already well-known, all of this MINI stuff is new to me.

Apparently, dealers utilize the ETK (Elektronischer Teilekatalog) to assure accuracy in getting the correct parts...

Partsman wrote:
"The ETK that we use to look up BMW/MINI parts has a spring table that requires the user to put in the last 7 digits of the VIN to determine what options are on the car..."

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post2582445
There is an online version, but I have pop-ups disabled and haven't changed settings as I just found it this morning --- so I do not know if it provides build sheets.
The site provides logon/password info and gives a link to the Aftersales Assistance Portal.
It is here:
https://www.bmw-motorrad.de/de/servi...s/web-etk.html

This site talks about the Central Database and seems like a way in, but I can't navigate it too well...
here:
https://www.parts.bmwgroup.com/webet...tifikation.htm

The following users liked this post:
mountainhorse (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 11:48 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 224 Posts
So, for an early 2005 MCS.... production date 9/04.... Is there anyway to tell if the car had received the JCW kit from the dealer on the car?
Or is it all down to the certificate?

In that year... would the dealer-kit have included the exhaust AND the intake as part of the dealer-installed JCW kit??

Thanks!!

Old 12-22-2018, 12:09 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
The only factory 1st gen hardtop JCW’s were model year 2006, up to ‘08 for the cabs, but might have a production date later in ‘05. If you want to check a car you can run the VIN on an online decoder and look for the option 3AL.

Here’s a link for with some info: http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/07/...06_model_year/

I think the full 210hp kit was available by 9/04, but there were probably old 200hp kits floating around so it’s possible a JCW kit could have been dealer installed at that time without the airbox or injectors. I don’t remember if the certificate states which version of the kit was installed. All versions included the exhaust.

Last edited by RB-MINI; 12-22-2018 at 12:14 PM.