North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   JCW Garage (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage-429/)
-   -   JCW Lack of engine telemetry.... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage/323059-lack-of-engine-telemetry.html)

RockC 01-11-2018 08:27 AM

Lack of engine telemetry....

Love my new JCW but...

where the heck is all the engine telemetry?

All I can find is some kind of lame graphical indication of the engine coolant temperature, but no numbers.

There is no oil pressure, no oil temperature, no battery voltage, no boost. (My 996 Turbo displayed boost pressure.)

My new Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack can display up to 4 "gauges" at a time in its LCD: I have it configured to display coolant temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, battery voltage. With the steering wheel controls I can also bring up transmission fluid temperature (the car is equipped with an 8-speed automatic) and oil life. This is sweet being able to view all that telemetry.

I have been through the iDrive system and have not found any way to bring up any engine telemetry.

In the meantime I bought a new OBD2 code reader/data viewer the other day but have not yet found the time to connect it to the car's OBD2 port. Today I think at work since it will be dry, not raining.

Once I do this I can at least view some engine telemetry in "real time" with this device.

But I can't believe with that big honking display in the center of the dash I can't call up at least boost pressure.

Have I just not found the right iDrive menu?

FlyByMike 01-11-2018 05:08 PM

On my non-JCW '17 F56 there's water temp, boost, & accel(?) available but they're pretty hokey. Check in the owner's manual. Boost & accel are on n the Excitement screen, & temp is on the speedo via the stalk. If you must.

If you go OBD and have an Android device I use this as my daily driver http://dashxl.net/forum/index.php?topic=9507

-Mike

vetsvette 01-11-2018 07:08 PM

Or you can get a ScanGuage 2 and read all the parameters digitally. Up to 4 different gauges at once. The OBD2 port will give you all the info you want and more, including oil pressure.

WayMotorWorks 01-11-2018 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4359345)
Or you can get a ScanGuage 2 and read all the parameters digitally. Up to 4 different gauges at once. The OBD2 port will give you all the info you want and more, including oil pressure.

Yes a Scangauge is ideal. We offer them with custom MINI programming to give you the most important gauges like oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp. boost, timing, MPH, among many others and also transmission monitoring.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/scangauge-ii.html

Powerflex 01-12-2018 05:23 PM

Look into a Scangauge from WMW or a BT OBD2 reader that can work with your phone.

RockC 01-12-2018 05:58 PM

Found a Craven gauge kit that looks very nice but I see one can only select two gauges from a set of 4 or so. I would go with coolant temperature and oil pressure.

The Scangauge set up looks interesting and less expensive.

Kind of like using an OBD2 code reader/data viewer but without the always in the way cable.

Did I must miss this? I see no pic on the web site showing how and where the display mounts.

vetsvette 01-12-2018 07:21 PM

It's up to you to come up with a mount for it. It comes with a couple pieces of velcro IIRC. I use the Cravenspeed mount for mine.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-scangauge-ii-mount/

Clutch Wotan 01-13-2018 07:59 AM

Lack of engine telemetry ?

There are 2 good ways to do data logging.

- M Performance Analyser
- Bimmer Link

the Performance Analyser does also video, and gives full data at each point of the track
Facebook Post

RockC 01-13-2018 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4359608)
It's up to you to come up with a mount for it. It comes with a couple pieces of velcro IIRC. I use the Cravenspeed mount for mine.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-scangauge-ii-mount/

Thanks for the info. That's a nice looking mount.

I want to visit the local Mini dealer to see if there is anything from Mini that will meet my needs.

If not then the Scangauge and the Cravenspeed mount I think will do me nicely.

2017JCWerks 01-14-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by RockC (Post 4359151)
Love my new JCW but...

where the heck is all the engine telemetry?

All I can find is some kind of lame graphical indication of the engine coolant temperature, but no numbers.

There is no oil pressure, no oil temperature, no battery voltage, no boost. (My 996 Turbo displayed boost pressure.)

My new Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack can display up to 4 "gauges" at a time in its LCD: I have it configured to display coolant temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, battery voltage. With the steering wheel controls I can also bring up transmission fluid temperature (the car is equipped with an 8-speed automatic) and oil life. This is sweet being able to view all that telemetry.

I have been through the iDrive system and have not found any way to bring up any engine telemetry.

In the meantime I bought a new OBD2 code reader/data viewer the other day but have not yet found the time to connect it to the car's OBD2 port. Today I think at work since it will be dry, not raining.

Once I do this I can at least view some engine telemetry in "real time" with this device.

But I can't believe with that big honking display in the center of the dash I can't call up at least boost pressure.

Have I just not found the right iDrive menu?

It really is kinda sad that these functions aren't built into the display. With all of the computing and whatnot already tied into the display, the software shouldn't be that hard. This is one of my few gripes with the car.

I got the Cravenspeed phone mount and Bluetooth OBD reader to go with TorquePro.

RockC 01-14-2018 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2017JCWerks (Post 4359952)
It really is kinda sad that these functions aren't built into the display. With all of the computing and whatnot already tied into the display, the software shouldn't be that hard. This is one of my few gripes with the car.

I got the Cravenspeed phone mount and Bluetooth OBD reader to go with TorquePro.

Agree. While one might not be able to fit all in the display area between the speedo and tach the large LCD has plenty of room. It could be another menu item in the Vehicle Status window or in the driving excitement window.

Much like my Challenger and its button ontrols on the steering wheel, the Mini with the stalk and the button on the end that cycles though 5 or 6 different displays of info could have a few more selections that bring up even if in just numbers, the coolant temperature or oil pressure or boost or oil temperature and battery voltage.

Saturday I stopped in at the nearby Mini dealer parts department and spoke with the parts department staff. I described what I was looking for. One guy recalled Mini offered something along the lines I wanted -- a set of gauges -- for the earlier model -- and which a co-worker has fitted to his Mini S hardtop coupe a 2015. (Or is it a 2014? I don't remember now, but I do remember it is the last year the coupe was offered.)

But this set of gauges didn't come up in the Mini options list. He said he'd check with the factory to see if it was still available and for my 2018 JCW or if the factory was planning on offering something else.

vetsvette 01-15-2018 12:22 AM

No longer available. IIRC it was an option through the 2015 model. It only gave you (Right to left) oil pressure, boost, and lap timer. The gauges are calibrated for EU. meaning the Oil pressure and boost is not measured in PSI. And the lap timer is operated by hand. Just what the doctor ordered when turning hot laps. :no:

RockC 01-15-2018 08:34 PM

Thanks for that.

Oil pressure and boost not in PSI but Bar is not a problem. I spent the last 7 years driving my 996 Turbo which displayed oil pressure in bar and boost in bar.

The lap timer is of no interest to me.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Mini dealer parts department what if anything is available or maybe in the pipeline regarding more/better (any...) engine telemetry for my JCW.

If there is nothing I think I'll go with the ScanGauge and the CravenSpeed mount.

Clutch Wotan 01-16-2018 10:36 AM

but that not telemetry, thats additional gauges. Sorry mis understand